Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Royal P-38 pain in the tail?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal P-38 pain in the tail?

Old 05-24-2002, 10:01 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal P-38 pain in the tail?

I am building Royal P-38 for a friend. Nothing but a box 'o' blocks in this thing. I know I can get glass cowls from Fiberglass Specialties, but nothing else. Is there any other place I can get glass or abs components from? It needs more than just the cowls and I'm tired of carving. Thanks!

Carey
Old 05-24-2002, 11:00 PM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

Default The Royal Kit

I won't be able to help you in your quest for parts, but I tried bidding on a FW190 on ebay and lost because the cost went through the roof. What is so special about a Royal kit that makes it different from the others. You seem to be having first hand experience.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:30 AM
Darren40-RCU

The Royal kits are good fliers, but they are a builders kit. Not for someone who doesn't want to do a lot of shaping. Royal was an importer of Marutaka kits. The Marutaka kits I bought when Royal was still around were a superior product in some ways. Fiberglass cowls instead of plastic. The radial cowls were spun aluminum, same as offered now. The Marutaka kits are still available at a couple spots. Try udisco.com and hobbybarn.com if you're still interested in the FW190 kit. No duty charges from udisco and their prices are significantly cheaper on some of the kits.
For the P38 parts you might try Stan's Fiberglass. There's some mention of P38 parts in "misc."

Good Luck.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:40 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one for a fellow flier many years ago only because
it was the only P-38 kit out there, and yes, there is a lot of carving
but I don't mind doing that sort of stuff so I didn't think it was that bad.

I've just finished the Wing Mfg version of the P-38 and both
kits are about the same size.

You might want to consider using all of the ABS components
from the Wing kit. I'm sure that they are available separately

The quality is fairly good

Roby
Old 05-25-2002, 01:24 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Roby,

Thanks for the parts info, it looks like the Wing parts will work for the Royal kit. It will save me a lot of work. Flytailtragger, the p-38 has actually been a fairly decent kit to build. It has some pretty nice lines for a kit of this size. I m used to the Ziroli and Meister sized stuff and they seem to build much easier and have all the Glass or ABS parts available. Saves a lot of trouble. The Royal kits are just about all wood and yes, a lot of carving. I have heard lots of good things about the flight performance, but have not flown one. These kits are popular on Ebay and can go for a great deal of $. Why? I don't know. Darren, do you know the www. of Stans stuff? Thanks guys!
Old 05-25-2002, 01:42 AM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

Default Response

I appreciated the input. Between Darren40 information and your comments I am going to buy that Marutka Kit from disco.com. They have the FW190 A available for $150. That is good enough for me since it stills sports the spun alum cowl. Now what is everone's opinion on the Spring Air 190 retracts?
Old 05-25-2002, 02:46 AM
Darren40-RCU

www.stansfibertech.com
Old 05-25-2002, 03:08 AM
wildbill-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default FW 190 RETRACTS

TRY www.century.com

BILL