Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

foam wing repair

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

foam wing repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Mr Hackney UK
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam wing repair

Hello I just got a model in it came in on greyhound shipping but the person did not pack the wing right.
About 6 inches of the wing was bent near the wing tip when I pulled back the covering I found out it was foam covered with balsa. There is a big dent in the wing where it was folded. Could someone help me out on how to repair this?
Thank you
Old 05-25-2002, 06:51 PM
Mike James

Default more info needed...

A photo or two would help us understand the damage well enough to give you some good advice.

If the balsa sheeting has actually delaminated from the foam, due to the bend, that's one issue. I'd have to see a photo to give an answer.

The foam, on the other hand, is very easy to fix, but again, we don't know if it's just creased, or cracked, or actually broken.

Can you post a couple of photos?
Old 05-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Mr Hackney UK

Default foam wing repair

hello i have more pics but i dont know how to get all of them up here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12220_8630.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	8141  
Old 05-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Mr Hackney UK

Default ok here take a look guys

one more
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12224_8630.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	8142  
Old 05-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Mike James

Default Inspect it closely...

Of course, the best bet is to get a new wing, if it's not too expensive, or if Greyhound will pay for the replacement. Otherwise...

It's still a little tough to tell exactly what's broken, (and you haven't said whether this is a small trainer or an aerobatic aircraft which will be subjected to high stress) so here's what I would do:

I would use a new X-acto blade and very carefully away the balsa and the covering at least 2 inches on either side of the crease, (Keep it to use as a pattern later.) and inspect the damage to the foam. Use masking tape to tape down the remaining edges of the covering on the wing, so that dust doesn't get under it while you're working.

Cut away the damaged foam, by making a "V"-shaped cut in the foam, remove it, and epoxy in another piece of foam to replace what is damaged. Make this fit, by using the piece you cut out as a guide. If all the interior edges don't meet flush, the joint will be weak. Sand it to match the surrounding contours of the wing.

Then, using the piece of balsa you removed as a template, cut some balsa sheet of the same thickness, and after trial-fitting to be sure all edges fit nicely, epoxy that in place. Wipe off any excess epoxy, then tape it down firmly until cured. Following a light sanding, add some matching covering, and you will be back in business. While you're doing all this, be careful not to warp the wing. Use some weights to hold it down and keep everything straight.

If the aileron, replace it. If the leading or trailing edge pieces were damaged, you can replace the damaged parts by making a nice angled scarf joint in those parts, and sand to match the original pieces.

This repair will add a bit of weight to that wing, so laterally balance the model before you fly it. You may find that you need to add a little weight to the opposite wing tip.

You can probably do the whole job in an afternoon. It's pretty easy.