Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Flair DR 1 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Flair DR 1 kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 10:51 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flair DR 1 kit

I'm considering a Flair 1/4 scale DR 1 kit. Anyone have any experience with this kit? Flair kits in general? Quality? Flyability?

Thank you.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:13 AM
wagas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good kit

My uncle has one. Great kit, flies great (yes, it is typical for them to nose over on landing so don't feel bad when you do it) He flies his with OS twin 1.60. Good luck I'm tring out the Balsa usa kit myself. I've got it and plan to start on it this year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12435_1439.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	8218  
Old 05-28-2002, 10:14 AM
wagas

Default another pic

another pic of it flying

Name:	12436_1439.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	8219  
Old 05-28-2002, 10:32 AM
p38nut
My Feedback: (6)

Default DR-1

I'm building the BalsaUSA kit my self and it's great. Don't start this kit unless you like building lots of wings and painting a lot. Mike
Old 05-28-2002, 11:48 PM
bokuda

Default Flair DR 1 kit

Thank you guys.

Actually, I built a 1/4 scale DR-1 years ago from WE Technical plans, which were terrible! Their shop drawing dimensions didn't match the main plan among many other problems...

I am also curious about the Balsa USA kit. I built several of their kits years ago too. One was the 1/3 scale Pup which I framed up for a friend and one was a sailplane. The quality of the kits was quite poor, I thought. Have they improved? How do your DR-1 kits look?

The flair kit is the same price and they seem to have a better reputation. Comments?

Dave
Old 05-29-2002, 12:11 AM
bokuda

Default Flair DR 1 kit

A scan of the DR-1 I built. I regret selling it because now I want another one like it. It was a lot of work!

It's my first time trying to add a photo to this forum; hope it works.

Dave
Old 05-29-2002, 01:22 AM
bokuda

Default Flair DR 1 kit

I'll try one more time to attach that image!

Dave

Name:	12553_7208.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	8220  
Old 05-29-2002, 11:33 AM
wagas

Default Good looking DR1

Where did you get the color scheme for that one? I'd tell you how I'm doing mine but it's top secret. I'll give you a hint. It'll be transparent. I'm not in it for the scale, I'm in it for the fun and getting ooooowwwws and aaaaaws from the younger genereation and the "I can't beleive that whiper snapper ruined a perfectly good scale airplane" from the old guys. He he.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:41 PM
bokuda

Default Flair DR 1 kit

The color scheme for the DR-1 posted above came the cover of a plans catalog put out by Model Airpane News some time ago. I saw several photo's of this plane after that. Replitech has a few photos of this plane, which I obtained.

One of the photos from a magazine had a caption that the pilot was Jim Appleby. Jim is a well known vintage aircraft builder and restorer. He's performed in a lot of movies like The Great Waldo Pepper etc. too.

I loved that color scheme. It also appealed to me because this was an exisiting DR-1 so the color scheme could be verified and made accurate. One photo clearly showed a tailwheel on it too! So I was happy to put one on my model without guilty feelings!

I contacted Mr. Appleby by phone and he was kind enough to provide me with color chips so I could match the paint. I had latex paint mixed to match. He also included a sketch of the instrument panel.

Sad thing is he repainted this plane for promoting Red Baron Pizza! He crashed it and was seriously injured. Spent some time in a hospital.

My personal life took a sudden downturn and I wound up selling the model at the WRAMS show to a hobby dealer from New Jersy who said he was going to hang it up in his shop. As far as I know it is still there and has never been flown.

Now I'm back in the hobby and want to another DR-1 with that color scheme.

Name:	12653_7208.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	8221  
Old 06-02-2002, 09:31 AM
robert

Default Flair DR 1 kit

As for flair quality, I have a couple of their kits, and they still fly very well. (One didn't fly since 1990 when I got it, but still goes strong!)
Old 06-02-2002, 01:32 PM
ron45
My Feedback: (1)

Default Flair DR 1 kit

Here is mine ( flair dr1 ) had a st.90, now has a maloney 100 and still flies great.
Attached Images