Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

C.Golberg Super chipmunk Build questions.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

C.Golberg Super chipmunk Build questions.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Donnie7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C.Golberg Super chipmunk Build questions.

I used one standard aileron servo and had no problems. Flaps are a plus. They work great. Trim the wheel pants more than you would think for clearance and use blind nuts for the cowl. I always thought the plane flies tail heavy but thats just me. All in all its a great flyer. The stock cowl is just fine if you take time and use micro balloons and a lot of sanding.
Donnie
Old 04-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Donnie7

One more thing. I was getting cracks in the cowl where it bolts to the fuse. I carbon fibered the area and no more problems. also carboned around the engine cutouts.
Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52522.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	117745  
Old 04-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Live Wire

Just one thought , In the air the Chippy can take any thing. When landing you better know what you are doing. You will bend gear or rip it off! Do not use it like a lawn dart. Bring it in smooth with low power then use your throttle to set her down. Throttle management is the key to landing.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:06 AM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

well, my chipie is just about all complete and I installed a saito 91 inverted in it. But as alwqays, there is a porblem, the exhaust now wants to head through the cowl and exit in an upward direction. Any suggestions? do they make an extension tube for the header so I can at least get it outside the cowl and then deal with it?
Thanks,
Brian

I'll post pics soon.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

You could always use one of their extension tubes, here is a link: http://saito-engines.info/muffler.html
I will try to include a photo as well.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
themanimal

could I heat and bend the header?

Should I try?

Thanks,
Brian
[&o]
Old 04-05-2004, 03:21 PM
runover1

Well, you would need a lot of heat, and while bending you have to be careful not to kink or shrink the opening. If it is temepered, you would need to immediately cool it afterwards, like sticking it in ice water. All of that said, I think it could be done, but more bends equal more restriction. How much is a muffler, if you mess it up, it is only a few bucks, right?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:26 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

donnie. great looking chippy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Pook
My Feedback: (5)

Ive build 4 chip's to date starting 10 years ago.
Its simply one of the best all around flying planes Ive ever flown! power has been anything from a bushing OS60 to a 90, A few lessons I learned is that it is pretty easy to turn a great flying plane into a handfull by overloading the wings ie. TO HEAVY! The last was a 90 with retracts, smoke, you name it! It was built for one of our club "hot dogs" and thats what he chose, the little plane came in so hot with the added weight that EVERY landing required landing gear work. I streched the rudder an inch for him so knife loops would be no problem and I have to admit the plane on a flyby with the gear up was very cool!! but it ended one day with a flat spin he couldnt pull out of...and well you can guess the rest[]
We always ran two servos in the wings mostley so they would center better, a great mod is to strech the rudder 1/2 to 1 inch (youll be glad you did!) and if you keep the power plant light (but powerfull) you dont need flaps or the extra weight! Itll float in like a kitten without em!
PooK
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
themanimal

"RE: C.Golberg Super chipmunk Build ques... (in reply to themanimal) Contact Moderator | (Post No. 57)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you would need a lot of heat, and while bending you have to be careful not to kink or shrink the opening. If it is temepered, you would need to immediately cool it afterwards, like sticking it in ice water. All of that said, I think it could be done, but more bends equal more restriction. How much is a muffler, if you mess it up, it is only a few bucks, right?

Well like most everything in RC the header which probably costs 2-3 bucks to make is around $15!! A flexible exhaust tube for the saito instead of the current muffler is $35!!!!! where the hell do they get off anyways?

I'll rig something up, too bad the motor is all metric and I live in the only country in the world that is still on the imperial system.

On another note... How much does everyone's chippie weigh with motor and all the radio gear? I picked mine up yesterday and thought "my god, this things going to sink like a rock!!" It has to be pushing 8 lbs or so?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:54 PM
althepal

HI there,

I just finished my second chipmunk, now thst the kit is available again. Looks much better with laser cut parts! Based on my experience, I decided not to add the retract, but build flaps like I did with the first one. My first one was powered with a KB65 Sportster, that was entirely hidden in the cowl. Used fox shaft extension. After 3 seasons, did redo the covering and paint job( I use super coverite and enamel paint), Put on a OS 91 4 strokes...The plane flew out of sight in vertical. Crashed it after another season....engine exploded on impact!
With the new one, I did keep the same configuration, with only difference being 2 servos for ailerons, more direct linkage, no flutter. Also did put internal control for the rudder.
Go to see artscholl.com forpictures and infos on the real deal. Did finish it with a two seat bubble canopy from Airsail I had laying around. Did not take any care about keeping it light, the plane can take it.
FLYING....take off straight as an arrow, only 2/3 power, engine new and on the very rich side for the mixture...a bit sensitive on the controls...did perform all the program of an aerobatic show...landed like a feather...My conclusion a nice model, pleasant to fly and without any surprises Good to have around again
Old 04-13-2004, 10:03 PM
keh811

Another nice covering is the Pepsi Chipmunk. tha tail has to be rounded off but mine looks great. Certainly an attention getter!. No retracts, yes on the flaps, and ABSOLUTELY, on the dual aileron servos. Great kit, great flying model!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:19 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Harold Krier, who built the first super chipmunk had a very nice paint scheme. Art Scholl copied his plane mods.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:25 AM
hercibird

Here is a link to the full scale SUPER CHIPMUNK that Jim 'Fang' Maroney flies. What a great paint scheme!
[link]http://www.ctwphoto.com/copperstate/maroney/[/link]
Old 05-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Rollie-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

I build my Chipmunk a couple of years ago!!! I split the elevator and put those servos in the tail, with the rudder servo located back in the fuse. For power I used an O.S. 70fs! And I put servos in the wings for the alierons! (does spelling count here???) NO problem with the landing gear or the blocks!! I think that the chipmunk flies better with the O.S. 70fs than with the O.S. 91fs or any other make of engine... of course this is just my view only!! I did have a Super Chipmunk with a O.S. 91fs and I when I put it into a spin I couldn't get it out!! I cried for a week!!!

For those of you that don't know it... but I think now that Carl Goldberg kits are now being laser cut. So you might want to check it out for yourselve

Fly safe!!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:41 AM
republic

I started the Chipmunk about four years ago and finished it last year. It came out on the heavy side, but is the best flying airplane I have ever had. I also changed the aileron set up to use two servo's, it seemed to me that the linkages to the bellcranks was pretty long to be unsupported. I also installed the flaps and they really make landing a breeze.
It has a Tower Hobbies .61 in it mounted inverted and this engine has plenty of power.
I really want to build another chipmunk, I hear that the new kits are lazer cut.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:46 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

the plane will fly better and be more responsive with dual aileron servos. Look at all the pattern planes, dual aileron servos. I think you will be much happier with performance.
also definitely flaps, and unless you have a paved runway which you can hit without fail EVERY TIME I would not go with retracts.

good luck and happy flying

joe
Old 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM
althepal

here is a picture of my chippie..departed slightly from the original paint scheme, to include my wife's Flag (Puerto Rico)
Great flier
Old 05-08-2004, 06:56 PM
althepal

OOOPs...did not work...another try
great flier, for sure
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62386.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	130356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12120.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	130357  
Old 10-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Wild Beat

Just a quick question, has anybody tried using a smoke pump in it? If so, what make, type, engine, etc.
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:56 PM
runover1

I tried it with a K&B 61, but it wasn't much smoke. I might try a 91 4 stroke.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

Soo.. the new CHippy's are laser cut huh?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:30 PM
no1speshal

Tram,
Yup, they are. I just got one about a week ago from a guy at my local flying field here in Florida. It is completely lasar cut. So far, I have built up the tail feathers and the left wing. It is going pretty good. As this is my second build from a kit, I am learning a lot as I go.
I am really looking forward to flying this one though. It is such a pretty airplane, and I love aerobatics, so this airplane has my name written all over it. I'll post pictures of mine when I am done. I have a reputation for covering my airplanes a little differently than others and since I am not good at scale, I go all out for "wow" factor.

Red
Old 12-24-2004, 01:47 PM
runover1

I keep breaking the landing gear on mine so make sure you really make it strong. I don't break it on landing, just on taxiing through high grass. I absolutely love the way she flies though. I have an older one built and one on the way as soon as I get to it.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:26 AM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Hello all, I don't have a CG Chipmunk, but the world models version (40 size) Had problems when I installed the landing gear in the wings. They did not look or feel like they would be able to handle very many landing. So before the first flight, I replaced the landing gear with a set off of a slightly totaled U-CAN-DO 3-d and mounted them in front of the wing with some 1/4 ply and doublers to reinforce the belly and fuse. First flight was an accident. Was breaking in the super tiger 46 on the bench and decided to see how it handled on the ground with the gear. The tail wheel is some thing to be desired on a grass strip. But sending it up and down the strip a few time, advanced the throttle to about 1/2 and oops, it went in to the air! It flew like a dream! Very straight and at about 1/2 throttle it was wanting to climb, so trimmed it out and it went hands off for the down wind leg of the strip. Increased the altitude and tried the flap(never flew a plane with flaps) and it jumped right up. Added some coupling with the computer radio setup to help with that. Came in for a landing about 6 times (it liked to float) and then set it down for a very short landing. The one thing that I learned about flaps it don't raise them with out power! Found that out on one of the missed landings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.