Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

kit availability of Grumman F3F

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

kit availability of Grumman F3F

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 06:43 PM
jkotlanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kit availability of Grumman F3F

My son saw a beautiful looking Bi-plane called a Grumman F3F. We were wondering if their is a .40 glow plug kit of this aircraft. It looks like it has a radial engine but was built more like a WWII style plane. If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:14 AM
Leo

I don´t think there is any kit available, but Jack Bale have plans for a 48” span Grumman F3F
http://web.dreamsoft.com/jackbale/index2.htm

Hope this helps,
Leo
Old 05-31-2002, 10:54 AM
jkotlanger

I was hoping that someone had kitted the plane. I don't know if I'm up to scratch building yet. I only have and GP extra 300S and
CG Piper J3 under my belt. I think I need a bit more experience. Thanks for the tip, however, I may decide to go for it when I see how good I am with cloth coverings and nelson paint.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:06 AM
Jax RC-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I just finished building a kit of the F3F. Its a 40 size kit and is a bear to build (1960s vintage). The cowling was made of spun metal if that tells you anything. I bought the kit at aswap meet for $50. The company that made it was called Craft. I flew it last week and it just awful.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:16 AM
jkotlanger

Sounds like I don't want to build this plane. But it does look sexy in the magazines. I guess I will just wait until Goldberg or Great Planes offers a well designed model. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:13 AM
Jax RC-RCU

I'd much rather see a new kit of the F4F Wildcat instead of the F3F. It's basically the same, except it has one mid wing.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:49 AM
jkotlanger

Any thoughts on a good, reasonable priced first scale Bi-plane to build if the F3F isn't a good choice. From the previous response it sounds like the Craft kit resulted in a poor flier. I guess a scratch built one would probably be a pig also.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:15 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jkotlanger & Jax RC

jkotlanger & Jax RC

I wonder if the reference to the CRAFT model wasn't an Aristo-Craft put out by Polks throughtout the 1950's? They had a 3-way F3F for sale at about 48 inch span. If you ordered direct via mail, I think it came via truck as the whole box was too heavy for parcel post. The Aristo-Craft original was designed by Walt Musciano for controlline purposes. Is a simple matter to slap a new label on the box and call it out to then be a 3-way kit.

I do not know of any kit A/C due to the landing gear situation. Wish someone would develop a Grumman gear set of retracts for smaller models. May be expensive but could be applicable to several popular A/C.

Wm.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:12 AM
Jax RC-RCU

Yup..It's the one and the same...Aristo-craft; 48 inch wing. My opinion of the best entry level bi-plane kit is the Sig Hog Bipe. You can make it look like anything made in the 1930's by changing the vertical stab and adding a round cowling. Put a .91 4 stroke on ot though for unlimited performance.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:26 PM
valentrd

I just found a Aristocraft f3f from Ebay- Picked it up fopr $130 dollars.
This kit is fantastic. Gotta look aroundm they are around.