Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Midstar---DONE!!!! (Pics)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Midstar---DONE!!!! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 06:26 PM
LearjetMech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Midstar---DONE!!!! (Pics)

Well here are some pics of my finished winter project. I even had to go out and buy a new digital camera to take some pics of it. Pretty damned proud of the way it turned out! I'm running all JR 537's, with dual aileron servos and flaperons will be used at a later date. Using a 6102 TX. Engine is a TT Pro 46, and that thing has some serious power. That three blade is off of my Alpha and I plan on using an APC 11x5 or 11x6, not sure yet. I went ahead with that Slimline Sport Scale muffler to keep the crap off the wing. I debated about it for a couple of weeks since I had to ax the right cheek, but I think it turned out well. I might try to find some wheel pants, any suggestions? If the weather holds tommorrow like it did today (65F, 10-15), I will maiden it. Hopefully you wont see a picture of it in the crash forum. I'll keep you posted on the flying. Next project is a SIG 4*60, then a TF P47 Gold! I also have a few "rebuilds" I purchased, and 2 ARF's that have not been put together yet. Wish me luck! More pics if you want em! And the Jimmy Neutron is because my daughter said it needed a pilot and she gave me him from a past Burger King kids meal. I went ahead and added a gunsight made out of a paper clip and dental floss (LOL). Had to cut off the top of his fro so it would fit under the canopy! Enjoy!!!
Nikolaus
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99196.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	102128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92445.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	102129  
Old 02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
LearjetMech

Default RE: Jimmy Neutron SE SIG Midstar---DONE!!!

One more

Name:	Sp45190.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	102130  
Old 02-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: SIG Midstar---DONE!!!! (Pics)

Very nice. Love the Jimmy Neutron. I'd never be able to build enough planes for all the Burger King toys we have! (Not my fault - Grandparents.) I finished my Midstar last fall. I also built it as a tail dragger with dual aileron servos. I love the plane, as I'm sure you will. Looking forward to the flight report.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Rivethead

Nice looking plane! I am building a 4 Star 40 as my winter project, I also decided to go with red on white. I also like the idea you have of keeping the oil off the wings[:-]. Did you make any modifications to the stock setup and what size wheels are you going with?

Good luck with it!!

Chris
Old 02-18-2004, 07:58 AM
LearjetMech

Going with the recommended 2 3/4 wheels, 3/4 tail wheel. And the airplane is pretty much built as the plans call. Only deviation is the servo mounting. I didn't have a radio tray like the manual wanted so I did two hardwood rails and mounted all three servo's FWD/AFT as opposed to one being sideways (throttle)! I also added triangle stock to the tail surface on the top. I think I need to add two more to the bottom. I also plan on switching the Nyrod set-up to an all wire pushrod for a couple of reasons. One being for the retrims due to temp changes. Another reason is this reduces the number of failure points of the nyrod (4), to two with the wire setup. Also I could use just a tad more weight in the tail. My CG is at the fwd recommended limit, which is going to be fine for the first series of test flights. Hey Bruno, when you did your dual servos in the wing, did you put them in the rib bays or did you do like I did. I put them in the center section next to each other and ran the original torque rod set-up. It turned out ok, but next time I will put them in a bay. I hate the torque rod set-up. It gets sloppy over time and it seems the outer portion of the aileron doesn't move as much as the inner, until the hinges loosen up.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Bruno Stachel

I mounted my aileron servos in the bays with hatches. I don't care too much for the torque rod setup either.

Good idea, about using the tri stock to reinforce the vertical stab. I tried a few knife edges with mine, and realized that might not be a wise thing to do, considering the way the vertical stab glues onto the horizontal stab. I could also use some extra tail weight. I'll probably use some tri stock or maybe some bracing wire.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:07 PM
LearjetMech

Really really really nervous. Taxied her around for a bit and did about 5 or 6 taxi's with about a foot of altitude. Determined that the wings were somewhat trimmed. Second time around, a couple of taxi's then up she went. She flew awesome, and rock solid! And two really good landings. The wind was kind of high (alot of weathervaning), but gotta learn to fly in it sometime. I was at such a high. While taxiing in, I got a phone call to pick up my son from school because of fever. Damn the luck!! And I tell ya, my stomach is still in a knot from all the adrenaline! Happens everytime! One thing I over looked on the build was the bottom of the wing. It is all white, so I'm gonna have to break it up somehow. I think I got a bunch of stickers somewhere, but I might do the checkerboard thing. That engine runs really strong and the acceleration is fabulous. I put a 10x6 on it and I think it is under propped, but that is what the break in calls for. Will eventually go to 11x5 APC. The wind was so bad I could hardly taxi to my station. Once going down wind or up wind on the ground, no problem. Must be the small tail wheel and slightly nose heavy. Tracks straight, rolls good, stays in the loop, etc.... Cant ask for much more after four months of work! Still need some wheel pants though! I'll keep ya posted!
Nikolaus

Name:	Lj21688.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	102382  
Old 02-18-2004, 04:00 PM
nbcguy

Man, I love that plane.

I have an OS 40 four stroke in mine and it is so smooth and sweet...

Great job Lear!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:14 PM
LearjetMech

Thanks man! How does that motor do in that airplane.. Seems like a 52 or so thumper would be ideal. You have to add any tail weight?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
CafeenMan

LearjetMech - Nicely done. How was it putting the trim on the wing? Any difficulties with it or was it a fairly smooth operation for you?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:28 PM
LearjetMech

Used the ol' windex and squeegee method. Worked good. Let sit overnight then came back and razored the ends.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Bruno Stachel

ORIGINAL: LearjetMech

Thanks man! How does that motor do in that airplane.. Seems like a 52 or so thumper would be ideal. You have to add any tail weight?
I have an OS 52 on my Midstar. I love that little engine. With an APC 10x4, the Midstar seemed to fly a bit weak. I next tried and currently fly it with an APC 11x4. It flies fine, but I'm planning to try an 11x6. I angled the exhaust up almost 45% opposed to the fuse. Hardly any residue to clean at the end of the day.

Good job. Glad to not see you in the crash forum today!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:25 PM
LearjetMech

Thanks Minn! She flew good. Look forward to starting my next venture, a SIG 4*60. I aquired some "beaters" that I need to unload first.

Update!!! I got a guy coming over tonight to look at all this stuff. Hopefully he'll take it all

Name:	Tq48540.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	102826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89808.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	102827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21276.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	102828  
Old 02-20-2004, 03:24 PM
nbcguy

Lear,

It took me a while to get back to you, sorry.

She flies great with the little OS 40 four stroke. I'm using an APC 11x6 and have plenty of power. The MidStar is so darn light that you don't need much, or at least that's my take on the subject. The plane won't hover, almost but not quite, but who cares...

I don't recall having to add any weight to the tail, If I did, it wasn't much and it would have been insid the fusilage before I covered it.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:27 PM
nbcguy

P.S.

Forget the planes, I'll give you 5 bucks for the stroller and the jack 0' lantern...
Old 02-21-2004, 10:41 PM
kelldog
My Feedback: (1)

midstar is the best plane ever made by sig,bruce tharpe even said so! kelldog