Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sounds like flutter....looking for opinions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sounds like flutter....looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:30 PM
ZeppelinIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like flutter....looking for opinions

Took out my nice shinny new Sig Kavelier today and unfortunately only got in two laps. Took off, came around, trimmed it out on the down leg (was pretty close to start with) and then brought it back around.....as I got about back to myself (and about 1 mistake high or so) I heard it start to hum.....it only lasted for a few seconds and seemed to me to stop before i throttled down, but that could have been an illusion. I've heard/seen flutter in person once before and am looking for some ideas. My ailerons are completely sealed but the elevator and rudder are not, but they have very small gaps (i have had bigger gaps on other planes)....one other note is that the wing looked normal while it happened(one time i saw it the wing was almost flapping like a bird).....

Plane itself is fine....have an OS 46FX on it, and was turning an APC 11x7

looking for thoughts/comments/suggestions...

Thanks,
Zep
Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
swooper

Default RE: Sounds like flutter....looking for opinions

Have you checked all the control surfaces for slop and "soft" action? I like to do it with the radio on so the servos resist being moved off center. With your fingers, gently move each control surface both directions. Slop is free play, like a loosely fitting clevis pin in a control horn. It doesn't take much to allow the surface to vibrate during flight. By "soft" action I mean the kind of movement allowed by control linkage that can bend or twist, allowing the surface to move off center without moving the servo arm. Unbraced wooden pushrods to the tail surfaces and too long and light gauge aileron torque rods are common examples. While sealing the hinge lines is always a good idea, it won't prevent flutter if other problems exist.
best wishes!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:46 PM
ZeppelinIII

Definately checked for that before hand....slop is one of those things that I'm nitpicky over....but will check again and see....thanks for the advice

Zep
Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 AM
FHHuber
Banned

There are all kinds of places that can help flutter get started...

I'd start by looking at the elevator on the Kavalier. If you rounded the TE of the elevator... you invited flutter. Also.. seal that hinge line just as you did the ailerons (do the rudder while you are at it.) You may even need to mass balance the elevator.

My first experience with flutter... i didn't have a clue what that neat buzzing sound was... so I added throttle to make it louder Lost the rear half of the airplane.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:04 PM
ZeppelinIII

The TE is not rounded at all....

my thoughts were to go down to an 11x6 prop, seal up the hinges, check for any slope, double check the stiffness of the elevator and rudder and then try flying again...
Old 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the covering tight? I have seen covering slap and sound like flutter that wasn't tight.