Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ultrasport + Just starting

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ultrasport + Just starting

Old 02-28-2004, 11:36 AM
kirknik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrasport + Just starting

Well lets hear it guys. I'm starting on an Ultra Sport+ and need to decide on the gear.
It will either be some kind of fuse mounted tail dragger or wing mounted retracts. I have a set of mechanicals left from a Tracer that died last summer and want this plane to really perform. High speed passes on the deck are so cool with gear retracted but I know there is a weight penalty and perhaps not worth it.

Idea's?
Old 02-28-2004, 11:43 AM
barto

Default RE: Ultrasport + to retract or not to retract

I' go for it.
Love to have a plane with retracts
Old 02-28-2004, 12:13 PM
kirknik

Default RE: Ultrasport + to retract or not to retract

Anyone else building one or gonna start soon?
Anyone wanna follow the build with photos? Maybe a couple of us could contribute.

Here is a couple photos.

The bottles are the contents of my bar and are being used as weights on the stab and elevator. When building, I've found that having them nearby is a good idea.
I started using wood glue on my last plane and like it but it takes a bit of time to dry. I think having to take a break while portions are drying slows me down and makes me more careful. CA has its place for sure but framing can be done without it. Sands a lot better too.

Oh and yes. That is my kitchen table. I build on a piece of 5/8 drywall with a full size photocopy of the plan on the wall for reference. I'm an apartment dweller so no choice.

Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72082.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	105919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98191.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	105920  
Old 02-28-2004, 04:23 PM
macgyver22

Default RE: Ultrasport + Just starting

I'm thinking the same thing. Ultrasport+ with retracts. I took like the aestic value of retracable gear, less than smooth landing can cause problem though... Oh, well, it's worth it I believe.

I don't like wing mounted servos though, back to the aestetics argument. Has anyone modified this plane or others to bring the servos inside the fuse?
Old 02-29-2004, 01:53 PM
phread59

I cannot comment on the US+. But the US 60 with retracts I sure can. Mine is powered with an ASP 61. The gear is Springair 103HD's. The plane is awesome in the air. Just plain Phenominal. The bird is smooth as glass, very paternlike. i would absolutely encourage you to use retracts in this kit. Just be sure to reinforce the ribs the gear goes in. I used a lite ply doubler rib and made my own mount out of 1/4" plywood. Workes great.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-01-2004, 01:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An Ultra Sport without Retracts, is like a day without sunshine.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:18 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Do a search on the Utra Sport 40 + and you will find that several have been built with and without the gear. I built mine with.

It is all in what you want to do. Speed then yes, do the retracts. 3D, dont and get it light.

You can [link=http://www.se2skunkworks.com/photogallery/US40+/index.htm]look here[/link] for build pics of mine. I have not flown it in a while but I do like how it does fly. I am at 5 1/4 lbs all up, but If 3D is the goal, then sub 5 would be better and would be hard to do on this bird with the retracts.

Jason

Old 03-01-2004, 03:32 PM
kirknik

Well Minnflyer, I agree. Not sure why I asked, I have the gear sitting without a home so in they go. Gonna use your idea for flaps as well.

And to Silvereagle. I copied the picture of yours a long time ago when i furst won the Ultrasport at a fun fly last summer. Looks terrific.

Tailfeathers are now complete and ready for covering. After messing with some Goldberg hinges on my last project, (ultimate 10-300) nice to be using the GP ca hinges again. Could anything be easier than these?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78340.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	106675