Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig something extra or gp rv-4??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig something extra or gp rv-4??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:59 AM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig something extra or gp rv-4??

im debating between the two, right now im favoring the rv-4 simply because i like the looks better and i want to put flaps in it

what are the differences and simalarites of these a/c ?? and any other advice would be helpful
Old 03-03-2004, 10:28 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: sig something extra or gp rv-4??

My buddy has built and flown both..

One is scale (ish) the other is a purpose designed 'fun flying' airplane.

The RV4 is a great plane, and modeled after the popular RV4 homebuild. But is heavier and flyes a little faster than the SE.

The SE is 'very loosely' based on the Extra 300, but as mentined, is purposely built as a 40 sized aerobatic plane. (And everyone will attest, it is a blast to fly!!) Builds light, and is a ver simple / easy build. The RV4 take much longer to build, and has some 'interseting' buiding techniques (does require soem building skills).. The RV4 has a larger overall fuse.

The RV4 is a full length wing, with plastic tips. The SE is a two peice wing, so transporting is easier. The RV 4 with flaps, requires 4 servos in the wing! The SE only two. The SE is a symmetrical wing, while the RV4 is semi-symetrical.

The SE is all laser cut, while teh RV4 is die cut..

The RV4 has a cowl, and requires a Pitts / Slimline style muffler to fit in the cowl, and is moutned sideways. The SE is a typical 'open nose' with a traditionally moutned engine. But teh SE does have a tight radio compartment. The SE has an ample hatch wher teh cockpit is, so it is easy to work on / in, but tight.

The MDS 48 on the SE really pulls it around teh sky. The same engine on the RV4, it shows it could use a little more juice.. It is, afterall, slightly heavier, and more surface area (more drag)

So, it really depends on what type of flying you want to do. The SE will do all sorts of flying, including 'backwards' on windy days. The RV 4 is scale, and should be flown as such. Either way, you can't loose with either plane!
Old 03-03-2004, 01:02 PM
briansommers

thanks, that was nice and indepth enough for me, i think i will go with the rv-4 since i like the looks of the cowl better and i want the flaps, now i live up at 8000' msl i do want to fly it scale, i dont want to go unlimited vertical, so im thinking of puting a saito 72 or should i go with the saito 80??

thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 01:09 PM
dr_wogz

Go with the larger, as long as it fits.

4 stroker in a scale, always.. it's just the right thing to do!

You'll be happy with it, it is a very neat looking plane!

Look at linking the flaps togther with the usual aileron horns, to minimize teh amount of servos, and to minimize teh 'protrusion' on teh bottm of the wings..
Old 03-03-2004, 01:13 PM
barto

I have build the rv4 and enjoyed it. However, I wouldn't build it again because the flying characteristics disappoint me. The fuse is very wide so you need a long prop to get enough air pass alongside the fuse. The plane is very overbuild wich makes it heavy, I didnt do anything about it because I thought I would be ok.
That plane with a saito 80 is going to be very heavy, I would go for a two stroke, just to save some weight.
That abs cowl sucks, mine broke recently, I you want to get it strong you need to reinforce the inside with fg (which I did), overall that adds quite some weight. The abs wingtips are pretty useless, I didnt use them, instead I used wooden tips, lots better, nicer finish.
I didnt use flaps cause you don't need them, but since you are going to use a heavy engine they might come in handy.
If I were you I would get that SE, just for the better flying characteristics, afterall, that is still more important than looks.
So why did I build it then, well I was doubting between the GP decathlon and the RV, I prefered low wing in the end so I went for it.
Sig isnt available out here, otherwise I would have build a 4*
I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just giving some advise.
I do like to fly it, low passes are great, and it looks good too, but aerobatics are pretty bad. Rolls arent axial at all, even though I have the cg quite a bit back.
I use a 40FX, that isnt enough power, I will be buying a new engine next year, I think that with some more power this plane will be much better to fly.

Just trying to give some advice.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:57 PM
briansommers

well maybe i need to tell you the real reason behind my decision, my friend and i want to get into formation flying and he is building a se right now, i thought the rv4 would be close enough - flying style - that it would work for formation flying but now im thinkin' maybe i should go back to the se, i have a hang up that if it isnt scale i dont want it but if i convince myself that the se looks like a homebuilt maybe i can get over it

what do you think? would an se make for a good plane to do beginner formation flying? were thinking after we master this with the se we are looking at going to a top flite at-6 texan or the top flite t-34 mentor, with the whole nine yard, flaps, retracts and smoke

thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 02:04 PM
ksechler

I don't know how anyone can say the RV-4 is anything but a fantastic flying airplane. I built mine with flaps and installed an OS .46FX. It will not go vertical forever, but it will do it for a pretty long time. Loops, rolls, snaps and even knife edge are possible. I couldn't be happier with mine. It's just necessary to take some care while building so the weight doesn't balloon. IMHO it's nice to have a model that actually looks like an airplane though.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:05 PM
ksechler

Doggone first post doesn't appear to have taken my picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76237.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	107389  
Old 03-03-2004, 02:14 PM
briansommers

yeah, well thats exactly why i wanted an rv4 it just looks like a real plane and not only that but looks great on top of it, maybe ill just go with the os 70 fs, that way it will fit
Old 03-03-2004, 03:40 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

i also have an rv-4 and it's awsome, i power mine with an mds 40 and it pulls it around great, i think mine weighs around 5.3 pounds with flaps, my rv-4 apeard in M.A.N in febuary, in the pilots projects section check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35629.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	107407  
Old 03-03-2004, 04:33 PM
dr_wogz

I flying in formation, keep the smae plane & engine. that way, they are similar in every aspect, and will perfiorm teh same..

Well, close enough!!! Just make sure you can distinguish between teh two!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:39 PM
briansommers

yeah this is what im thinking as well
Old 03-05-2004, 02:28 PM
fellixx

If put the FS .70 in it, let is know how it flies. Im thinking of using the same engine in mine.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Hope I can get in before too late..... the SigSE is a great flyer but not a bit of scale to it..... I flew mine for awhile in formation but found those thick wings way too affected by the propwash of others.... not a good formation plane.... haven't flown the RV4 in formation but it is a stable plane..... I would go witht he RV4 and let the other guy lead the formation so he won't be wobbling in your propwash.