Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

HOB Extra 300L

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

HOB Extra 300L

Old 06-10-2002, 11:12 PM
Shovel-Head
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB Extra 300L

I just bought one of these today from a fellow RCU member. I would like to know if anyone has built or flown this plane before. I think I am going to use a 46FX for power but I may change my mind and go with a four stroke. So does anyone have any advice on building or flying it?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2002, 01:46 AM
ctatham

Default HOB Extra

Are you Johnathan? I was contacted recently by someone by that name looking for information.

If not, I have one! I had trouble finding many people with them. You can see it at

members.rogers.com/ctatham

look in the hangar section.....it turns out a very nice looking plane. I built light and have a tt 46 in it and it screams. I have had some early flutter problems due to a broken ca hinge so have only flown it twice....likely will again this weekend. My only mod was to cant the gear forward a bit to stop noseover tendencies.

Let me know if I can help more....I have lots of pictures not posted.

Chuck
Old 06-14-2002, 02:04 AM
KingAirJockey
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Default HOB Extra 300L

I've had one for quite awhile,I think I got one of the first to come out.I ended up purchasing the fiberglass cowl and wheel pants for it.I couldnt see carving all that wood up.I ran a super tigre 45 on it and it was a great flying airplane.The weakest part is the landing gear mount.It's kind of a weird layout.It's pretty much pre 3-D for kits anyway.But it does some serious hardcore acro.Landing are quite nice also.I've still got mine hanging on my wall.Someday I'll take it out of retirement and fly it again.I just have to get a new canopy and finish fixing the gear mount.I think you'll be happy with the plane.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Mark DiMonte
My Feedback: (2)

Default HOB Extra 300 L

I bought this kit when it first came out for $ 99 Canadian. I immediately replaced the landing gear with a fiberglass unit and strengthened the landing gear mount before the first flight. Mine weighs 5 lbs. 7oz. and hovers with an OS 45 FX. I love this plane. Build it light and use the rearmost CG and it will do anything. I actually tried mine with Digital servos and you would not believe the difference. If I built another, the only thing I would do is make the elvators larger and more scale. This would help in the 3D flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14327_7190.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	8998  
Old 06-14-2002, 12:50 PM
ctatham

Default Great looking Extra

Looks very nice! Where are you in Canada? I am in Toronto and fly out of Humber Valley club. Did you use CA hinges on yours? Have you had any flutter issues at speed?
Old 06-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Mark DiMonte
My Feedback: (2)

Default extra 300l

No Flutter problems even on high speed passes. A little work is needed to do this. Leading edge of all controll surfaces are squared and beveled with care. CA hinges were used and pressed in tight. And last but not least, GAPSEAL all hinge lines with clear Monocoat, or tape. Make sure there is no slop in the control linkage. Put supports on the plasic outer control rods about every 6 to 8 inches inside the fuse. I sometimes run a full length of music wire through the plastic inner rod and then feed the inner rod through outer sleve. This eliminates much of the slop. I live in Richmond Hill about 10 min from Humber valley on the 407. Maybe I could come to the club and we could fly both of them. E-mail me at [email protected] MAD out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14332_7190.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	8999