Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:38 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

I'm trying to finish my Midwest Super Stearman. The Cowl and wheel pants need paint. The kit supplied parts were white, but not the same as the Solaartex covering. I decided to give them a coat of Top Flite Lustercoat before masking for red. I can't paint with Lustercoat. It either orange peels or runs. I've never been able to get a good finish. In another RC group, Rustoleum has been suggested as a good paint. I'm thinking that a good spray paint system may be the answer.Any comments here?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:13 PM
phread59

Default RE: Paint

I have used Rustolium. It worked well for me. One thing to try. Rub down the parts with Isopropyl (Rubbing ) alchohol and use a primer. Your paint may be having a problem sticking to a smooth finish. A light rubbing with 400 to 600 wet/dry paper may also help to get paint to stick. Just be sure to wipe the parts down before priming. Good luck.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-19-2004, 11:00 PM
fokkerflier
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Paint

hopkimf----
It is possible to do a good job with Lustrekote, but it takes practice. This paint is different than most anything else. If you are painting plastic parts- wet sand with 600 grit paper. Plastic doesn't sand smooth with anything any more course. Give it a couple of coates of primer-surfacer. This will fill the sanding scratches. Wet sand again with 600 down to where you can just see the white showing through. Then a couple more coats of primer. Wet sand again with 600, but not far enough to see any white. If the white shows through you will have to put on more paint to cover the light and dark spots. Make sure your Lustrekote is warm(at least 70 deg.). Pick a day when the air is dry-don't paint this stuff on a rainy day. This paint is not thinned enough to break up into a fine mist and that is why you are getting orange peel, you figure it takes more paint to make it flow out smooth, and it does, so more is put on and that is where you are getting the runs. You have to hold the can further from the part being painted than you normally would think, put on a light coat. It will look somewhat orange peeled, but not bad. Let this dry about three to four minutes. It has to be tacky but not dry because the next coat has to melt into it and start flowing out. Put on the second coat the same distance away and a little wetter and let this dry the same amount. Put on the third coat wetter yet but not to the point of running, just enough to get it to flow out smooth. As soon as it flows out------QUIT, or it will run. With the can distance you have to maintaign, you have a lot of over spray and waste but it has to be done that way to get good results. Hope this helps.

fokkerflier