Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Suggestions wanted... Mid-size bipe.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Suggestions wanted... Mid-size bipe.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:58 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions wanted... Mid-size bipe.

What's out there (kit-wise) that a 70 Surpass would go with?

I know about the GP Ultimate; got a bigger one of those already.

I think the 70 would be too much for a Sig Smith MiniPlane.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions wanted... Mid-size bipe.

Gotta love that GP Ultimate 40 for that engine..... I've seen them fly and that is a perfect setup ....the SIG Hogbipe is slightly underpowered with that engine and the Smith Miniplane is overpowered..... built both. If your stuck with the 70, do some bashing to the Ultimate..... it just flies too nice. Other options are the balsa USA kits..... not new kits however and take more building time. I have a GP Ultimate in the box waiting for a 70 to showup myself.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:53 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

I have a global ultimate.Has a O S 60 FP on it --Pretty good flyer ,and it fits in my Honda assembled .Always wanted to try a 4 stroke
Old 03-22-2004, 07:17 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Sig Skybolt should be just about right for that size engine--Lot of sticks though.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:38 AM
LSP972

I was thinking that myself; but apparently Sig has dropped this one.

Sticks don't bother me; I like to build. Seems, though, that most bipes are in the 60-91 range.

If I could find a NIB Super Aeromaster, I'd bite the bullet for another engine. That was one great-flying model; I still kick myself for selling it.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:37 AM
LouW

A Balsa USA Phaeton II would be perfect for the 70 Surpass. The photo shows mine that I'm currently flying with a Saito 80 which is an abundance of power. I originally had a Magnum 52 four stroke (shown in the photo), and it flew well and very realistic, but required some lead in the nose to balance. With the Saito it balances without the lead and the performance is great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15560.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	114143  
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

It has been years since my Skybolt. I have heard that Sig has quit making them, but they are still showing up in the adds. Go Figure.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:03 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

How about a MARUTAKA Curtis Hawk P-6E ? They are the old royal kits still available thru hobby barn. It takes a 60 -91 four stroke, I'm sure the 70 will fly it just fine. These were rated back when 91's put out the same power as a modern 80 four stroke. They also make a pitts s1 and a pitts s2 in 1/5 and 1/7 scale, the only pic I could find on the web is the s1 pitts version.

Name:	Om33297.gif
Views:	13
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	114339  
Old 03-22-2004, 07:39 PM
jucava

That P-6E looks extremely close to a Pitts, probably the Curtis heritage.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:20 PM
LSP972

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looks the new plane my 70 Surpass is in will not be the dog I was concerned it would be.

So my horizons are expanded a bit...

Old 03-22-2004, 10:38 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Steve, I'm finishing up the GP Skybolt and the 70 would be way to small for this plane. I'm not sure if the Sig model is any smaller. Have you checked out the Smith Miniplane by Sig, it's a neat plane.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

The rest of the post explains the pitts picture, the sig is not much smaller but a much lighter build, the GP is double sheeted and tons of wood, and a lengthy build may I say. I looked at the book and said "winter project" and put it in the closet.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:57 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

The GP ultimate 40 is the perfect plane for your engine. I had one that had a saito 72 on it. I flew it about 200 times and then ended up selling it. It was a sweet flying plane with this size 4 stroke engine on it. I have since moved up to giant scale planes and am flying a 62 inch ultimate. I wish someone would make an ARF ultimate for a 91 size 4 stroke engine. I would buy one in a heart beat. The goldberg will fly on a 91 but it really needs a 120 size engine. Try the GP kit you won't be dissapointed.

Rick
Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 AM
LSP972

Don't want another Ultimate, Rick. I've got the Goldberg with a Laser 150.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Steve

Sorry about recommending the ultimate I did not read your original post very good. A sig smith miniplane might be a good one for the OS 70. There are not many small bipes out there to choose from. I personaly would like to see someone come out with a true 60 size ultimate that you could use a 91 4 stroke on. I know that the Goldberg ultimate will fly on a 91 but it is not great unless you put a 120 on it. The Sig hog bipe is good with a 91 on it but I hate building kits and would really like to see someone come out with a nice ARF bipe. The GP ultimate that I had I got in a trade deal or I would have never had it. It was one of the best planes that I ever had. I will probably regret selling it someday. I have a nice 1/4 scale ultimate and a nice 62 inch lazy ace too. Here are some picts of them.

Rick

Name:	Fd93048.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	114863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15863.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	114864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92684.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	114865  
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Steve,

Good to see you're out looking to fly some new stuff

Hey, it's not a kit, but I have the plans for the Super Hots Bipe!!!!! It's one of those on my 'list' of things I wanted to build.

You can pick up foam cores for the Hots wing and just buy two of them..

Right now I'm bashing an older Bridi kit. I'm taking a perfectly good Krafty 60 and turning it into a low-wing with retracts[X(]. It's also going to be my float plane.

I'll talk to you later..

Tom B.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
LSP972

Hey, Tom! What's shaking?

What began this thread was the concern that a new ARF (Goldberg Matrix) I just finished was going to be a dog; therefore I was going to need a home for the 70 Surpass/flight pack in it.

However, the Matrix turned out okay. I'm still not real thrilled with it, but I have so much work invested in it that it seems silly to undo all of that when the model is flying quite well.

I do, however, have a strong urge for another GP Super Aeromaster and am actively looking for a NIB kit. I even made a query about it here that lasted maybe a day before getting "moderated". Punishment, perhaps, for not coughing up the bucks to be a preferred selling member???

At any rate, if you run across a NIB Super Aeromaster (the small one; 60 size) kit, let me know. I'm not ready to scratch anything out just now, and foam wings are still a mystery... I've got a Sig Kougar to do next, which will be my first foam wing. The various methods used are rather intriguing; but I think I'm going to go with the time-honored epoxy technique.

Soon as I get the Sceadu EVO done, the bench gets cleared for the building board. I have always wanted a Kougar, and even though all my other planks have four strokes these days, I have a good OS 40SF that will be perfect for it. The field where we fly our helis and run our trucks is really too cramped for general plank flying; but a Kougar should do just fine there...

Old 03-25-2004, 12:46 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

The Sceadu EVO - Oooohhhh, I'm Green.. I keep looking at the 50-size for a nice 'powerful' heli, but I keep telling myself to be happy with what I can afford. And the Rappy 60 is flying very nicely with just the OS61 and 15% fuel... After all, I'm not that good yet. I have a couple of pics of the 'current' R60 in my gallery.

However, we are getting set here in Fresno/Clovis for Todd Bennett!!!! He will be here for a two-day school on the 31st and April 1st.. I can't wait.. I have been saving money for a year.

I'm sorry that I don't know of any current Super Aeromaster kits for you. However, I DO have a Pica ShooFli Bi kit. It is a biplane for 40 to 60 engines. The specs say it can go up to a 90 4-stroke. It has 50 and 54-inch wing spans, 11 1/2-inch chord, 48-inches long and weighs about 6-7 pounds. The instructions say it is a very stable biplane, and you can 'chop' down the top wing 4 inches to speed up the roll rate if you desire..

I bought the ShooFli kit about 5 years ago when I was thinking about putting a 45 into my first biplane. Well, I decided that the 45 would be too slow for what I was looking for and went on to other things (Uproar 40). So, the kit still sits there. The plans do have some marks on them from some of my 'ideas', but nothing else is touched...

The Kougar is a very nice looking plane. I have eye-balled that kit more than once. It should be fun for a little shorter field.. Hey - put flaps on it and it would almost hover in to land

If you're interested in a biplane besides the Aeromaster, let me know about the ShooFli. I like the looks of it, but my next project (after the Bridi) should be my AD-1 Skyraider and I need a little more $$ for that.. I'll probably end up buying a new Saito 100 [X(]

TTYL
Old 03-25-2004, 01:35 PM
LSP972

Thanks, but its gotta be a Super AeroMaster. I need a long-term building project, and that puppy makes older Sig kits look easy...[X(] Besides, its a great-flying bipe with no bad habits. I need to be kicked twice for selling mine; once for selling the plane, and once for leaving the YS 120 in it. Not one of my brighter moments...

I got the EVO on a whim. A friend gave me a like-new .46FX-H with Shadel AAC piston & liner. I mean, like, what good is a free engine that has nothing to power???

The EVO is a super kit. This is my first Hirobo; probably won't be my last.