Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to straighten slightly warped wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Is it possible to straighten slightly warped wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:19 AM
adavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to straighten slightly warped wing

I'm building my first proper kit (DJ-1). I've just added the top leading edge sheeting to the first wing. I now have a slight warp in the wing...

...With the tailing edge and the root of the main spar flat on the board, the tip of the main spar is about 1mm off the board. This is about 1.5-2mm at the leading edge of the tip...

...Is there anything I can do to straighten the wing?

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
Old 03-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Spoiler

Default RE: Is it possible to straighten slightly warped wing

Obviously its best to have a straight plane. The warp sounds quite minor but is in the form of wash in rather than wash out so it could increase the planes tip stall tendencies, which is never a good thing. If the wing is quite flexible you could try and bend it out when covering with heatshrink film. Failing that you could try wetting the sheeting on top and placing the wing on a smooth surface with weights on it until dry. I built a TF RC Nobler that ended up with the opposite warp to yours i.e wash out. Obviously it affects how straight the plane flies but it has no slow speed stall problems at least on one side due to the slight wash out at the tip.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does this kit also have BOTTOM leading edge sheetingIf so, hold the wing flat as per instructions and add that sheeting before you do any correcting. Having sheeting on one side only can cause a slight warp until the other side is sheeted.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:10 PM
phread59

Minn's right, Put the wing flat and sheet the bottom before you try to fix anything. Good luck with your project.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
dicknadine

before covering. pin the wing down-- on flat surface-- with a spacer/shim under the beginnging of the up curve, litghtly wet the affected area and then pin it down-- looks like your going to get a reversel of what you had. but when it dries most of the twist will be gone. it is an experimental activity and sometimes takes a couple tries. most of the time it works. also try to remember which way the original twist was and shrink the covering on the opposite /otherr side of the orginal twist 1st. hopes this helps you. also go easywith the heat gun!!!! dick
Old 03-31-2004, 09:42 PM
wrob

Besides, the prior good ideas, sometimes you can get a warp out by tightening the covering material against the warp.

But, it doesn't sound like much of a warp. The material we build our planes from is not that stable. Warps come and go with changes in temp and humidity. In the end, when you fly the plane, you probably won't notice it.

Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:03 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

I have the same problem,
I am building a wing which has jig tips built into the te
you are supposed to make sure the main spar and the jig sit flat on the board, however its a pretty fragile wing and after gluing the le sheeting it still came out warped.

I had to sand off the sheeting and start over.

I think I may have to try it with a slow glue and just wet the sheeting so it falls over easy and just weigh it down and hope it dries straight.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:07 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

I had the same problem,I built the tail wing in the oposite dehidral so what I did was pined it down with blocks under the tips to correct it then I sprayed windex on the wood to sofen it.Then I added non required spars across the wing and it worked except the elevators which are joined together seem to be binding up a little.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 AM
dicknadine

Morning. whats the status of your warped wing? must be positive as no further word. dick
Old 04-19-2004, 12:12 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with MinnFlyer, when the lower sheeting is applied, hold the wing flat and it should bring the wing back in true.If it doesn't, spray the wing with a 50/50% mix of amonia & water and set it in a few clamps on your board till the warp is gone and let dry overnight.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
NJ Georgee

Sorry I didnt get back to ya sooner ,Mine came out fine. I wanted to ask anouther question about the kit im building.Should I make the elevators move independantly or together. I have the mixing funtion on my radio. but can a plane fly ok if the elevators are tied together.? also im thinking about making the flaps functional or this isnt nessasary. My plane is small only 30" wing span "HellCat" Im going to get a trainer first so I dont bust it up on my first flight.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
dicknadine

tie the elevators together, so much easier and a 36" model would not know the difference. flaps on a 36' flying model, would add toooo much weight, another servo, wiring, etc. now if you are building a scale display model, thats a different situation. dick
Old 04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
NJ Georgee

Thanks for your help.I have 2 micro servos I was planning on using in the wing for the flaps,but I may as well use them for the elevator and rudder and just make the flaps look functional? I already cut the flaps out but I will cover them and glue them in.
I want to use some thin plastic and with a hole puncher,I want to make them look like air brake pannels.Only one thing im wondering is if the plane should bank can you level out ok with the elevators tied together? Thanks,george
Old 04-20-2004, 04:10 PM
dicknadine

sure- why not?? ask any of the fellows at the field, WHY and HOW they do it. assuming you are flying at an AMA Field. if your not its a Big mistake. today its all INSURANCE--SUE-- Insurance. dick