Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What kind of kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
scale War Birds
38.89%
scale Civilian Planes
19.44%
3D Planes
5.56%
Profile Planes
2.78%
Custom Planes (making your own)
2.78%
Kits for sale (all those other kits)
16.67%
Other (anything I missed)
13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Covetski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of kit?

What kind of kits do you guys like to build? If you answer "Other", post in below.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Sprink

Default RE: What kind of kit?

Voted for 3D, but also like scale aerobatics.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:39 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did'nt vote because there is no clear fav for me. I just finished a GP RV-4, next plane will be a GP ultimate biplane, after that an Edge 540. So probably sport scale. I would also like a corsair and a GA airplane like a Bonanza or something similar. Just depends on whats available at the time.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

What ever tickles my fancy.. what ever looks good, is well received, and is farily complete..

Wait, I scratch too, so completeness isn't important!!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:47 AM
CRFlyer

I build whatever grabs my interest at the time. My preferences are warbirds and aerobats. Only thing I can say for sure is I build kits not bARFs.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:22 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Voted other because I build a bunch of everything. No specific interest. Just anything with wings.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM
bojangle

I like kits that have the main gear under the wing (wide stance), so I can modify it easily to a tricycle gear. Also like the wing to be sheeted on the leading edge, and cap strips on the ribs.
I don't like plywood fuses, prefer balsa with vertical balsa doublers. I like conventional aileron linkages (single servo). I like precision aerobatics, not frantic antics. I hate 3D, especially "Hover". But to each his own, no offense intended. I don't like cowls or wheel pants, struts, flying wires. I don't have the time or patience for scale planes anymore.

Believe it or not, many of the planes I scratch built (my own plans) have ended up as kits (close copy of mine, pure coincidence I'm sure). For example, I scratched a "Super Sportster" 15 years before Great Planes introduced a dead ringer. I used a canopy from an old Andrews kit, turns out it is the same as the Sportster canopy. I built several 4* like planes long before Sig introduced it. Go figure. Face it, a standard sport plane is pretty "generic".

I bought a GP Easy Sport about 5 years ago. I hated it when I built it, and disliked it when it was finished. It looked like an orange crate on wheels. Luckily on the maiden flight I forgot about the barbed wire fence at the end of my pasture runway. (the FS 52 was unharmed, the rest was "re-kitted". ) I was happy. I hadn't crashed a plane in 10 years, was getting boring. My favorite is a Tower Kaos 40, very simple build. (I cut all the parts and saved the kit).

So when I look for kits, I don't see anything new to me. Then I think, why spend $100 on a plane I can build for a few bucks of balsa. I almost bought the new GP Rapture, but after reading the manual changed my mind. Kits are getting too expensive.

I've built (and sold) 3 senior telemasters, maybe I'll start another one.

BO
Old 04-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I tend to go for kits no longer made or kits I havent seen in any of the mag ads. Pretty much means I spend a LOT of time on Ebay...
Old 04-02-2004, 11:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend towards pretty much anything scale, civilian or warbird doesn't matter too much.

Build sport too.
Dennis-
Old 04-04-2004, 11:05 AM
RCFlyingKnight

Like others I build what ever is of interest at the time. My first kit was an CG Eagle II (I think). I am currently building a GP Tracer 40, kit quality it horrible. Other kits I have built: Sig Fazer, Balsa USA Stngray 40, Sig Liberty Sport, Unionville Club Cricket, Sig Somthin' Extra,and assisted in building others. Also have several sets of plans to build. As far as BARFS are concerned No Thank You
Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I answered "Other" because I enjoy building any and all types of models.

John
Old 04-06-2004, 06:25 AM
Hades

Voted on scale warbirds [sm=cool.gif]