Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Rapture

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Rapture

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Rapture

Just finished The Great Planes Rapture. I really liked the classic lines. A cross between a Sportster and a Ultra Sport. The kit was a pleasure to build. The die cutting was excellent as well as parts fit. I clipped one bay off the wing. I used all supplied kit wood as well as all hardware. It weighs in at 4 and 10oz. I have a TT 36 pro on it with a Hitec 555 rx and 4 standard 148 Futaba servos. It is covered with Ultracote and Monokote. The cg is at 3.75 with a 1600 Nimh battery. The recommended cg range is 3.25 to 3.5. I think I'll go ahead and try it there. I'll report back after the maiden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80411.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	119551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55553.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	119552  
Old 04-07-2004, 08:31 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: GP Rapture

It looks beautiful! But with the CG back that far, you'll find it to be a little sluggish on the elevators, which is no problem, however, you may find that it is difficult to slow down for landings. Don't be afraid to shift the battery back, or add a little lead to the tail.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 PM
spokman

How did it maiden??? I'm getting ready to buy a kit soon and this plane looks like a good choice for a second plane.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:17 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking aircraft. I hope you have a successful maiden flight and many more to come. Could you please post a picture showing the bottom of the aircraft. I'm always interested in how different people cover the bottom of an aircraft to aid orientation.

Thank you,
John
Old 04-14-2004, 12:13 AM
bojangle

Glad to hear a positive report on the Rapture. I have been considering it, I may let my wife buy me one for birthday. She gets me a new plane every year (what a gal).

Engines seem to be getting lighter, I usually lengthen the nose on my kits and scratch builds. I prefer not to add weight if possible. When I built an older version of the SS40, I had to add 1/2 oz to the nose to keep it at the max aft, and decrease the elevator throw to 5/16". (it has a huge elevator).

Good looking plane. I'm glad GP recognizes the need for a simple sport plane. They are a rare company that listens to the voice of modelers. Anxious to hear about your first flights.

BO
Old 04-14-2004, 09:11 PM
big_dilli

I've got a Rapture also. Wonderful flying airplane. It is my second plane. I've been meaning to post pictures. Used a Futaba EXA with 4 3004 servos and a OS 46FX for the powerplant. Using a 10x6 MAS prop for now. The thing will flat move around the sky I tell ya. I've gotten lotsa compliments on it. The hobby shop guy that sold it to me flys out at the club with me and has been using to sell more.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:48 PM
bojangle

Yes, please post pics...I am always hesitant to order new kits, don't have a LHS. The last two I ordered were returned.

BO
Old 04-15-2004, 09:47 AM
MinnFlyer

I have still not had a chance to fly a Rapture, but I have seen it in kit form, and recently saw a completed Rapture at Toledo. My impression is that GP is taking dead aim at the 4-Star 40. Knowing Gp, it should fly every bit as good (Or better) than the 4*, and IMO it's much nicer looking.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:06 PM
spokman

Does it knife edge well? How about wanting to turn instead of yaw when you use rudder? I don't know what the term is for that but I want a plane that only yaws with rudder if such a beast is out there. How's the inverted flight on it? Let us know!
Old 04-16-2004, 07:22 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: spokman

I don't know what the term is for that but I want a plane that only yaws with rudder if such a beast is out there.
It ain't.

When the plane Yaws, the engine pulls it in the direction of the yaw. Hence, a turn.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 AM
bojangle

I agree it's nicer looking than the 4*, has more of a scale appearance. I also thought it might be aiming at the Goldberg Tiger, another popular plane. Anyway if these good reports keep coming in I will probably get a Rapture for next winter project.

BO AMA 47446