Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/5 waco slowing, but closer yet

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/5 waco slowing, but closer yet

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Donnie7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 waco slowing, but closer yet

The gear and struts are a little harder than I thought. Lot of Thought and sanding. I braced the outer struts with steel dowls. The inner are to speck. Making a custom adaptor for the muffler to keep the engine upright.

can't wait to get it in the air. Hope in a month,,, with some luck
Donnie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36878.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	122397  
Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Default RE: 1/5 waco slowing, but closer yet

What are you covering it with? I used Solartex and it worked out great. Used aluminum tubing for the outer struts, the wooden ones were a real pain to do.
Jeff
Old 04-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Donnie7

I plan to use Koverall. I've only used monokote in the past. There are a lot of different opinions on how to apply it. Kind of confusing. I've never heard of Solartex. Is it fabric?
Donnie
Old 04-16-2004, 11:04 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Solartex is a fabric from Sig that is ironed on. I've covered 2 planes in it and I'm very pleased with the results. The lighter colors are translucent but with a plane like the Waco, seeing the balsa grain is a nice look. I used the antique color which is like cream and I cut strips of the Solartex with a pinking shears, ironed them over the covering and sprayed with clear cote.
Jeff
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to do my 1/5th waco in koverall, I took it all off after my compressor self destructed while spraying the sealer coats. I decided to recover it all in worldtex/ solartex covering. It was a wise choice, the stuff is awsome, it applies better than 21st century covering and goes around the tightest curves. It only took 4 rolls, and two days to get the base color down, the trim was 3 more days. You can buy the stuff from Balsa USA or Quantum Models, balsa usa has it on big rolls if you want to save some change. The problem with koverall is it seems cheap, but the dopes and color coats get expensive after buying like 12 little jars of your trim colors to get enough pigment down to hide the balsa. Easy stuff to repair and super strong, I had to cut it off with a knife and soak the edges with thinner to get it to lift off, if you want a good page on how to do this stuff here's the link. Print it out and read it through about three times and get ready for the smell of dope.

[link]http://home.att.net/~rgurtler/silkndope.html[/link]