Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP .60 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP .60 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 AM
jimlynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP .60 Cub

I'm rebuilding a crashed Sig Cub. The owner dropped it in the trash can and a friend that knows that I love Cubs and crash-rebuilds retrieved it for me. This is the Sig Cub with a 90" wingspan. Most of the damage was to the right wing from the aileron to the tip and the firewall got relocated back behind the pilot's seat . The firewall was easy, but I don't want to rip apart any more of the wing to get the rib pattern, since the leading and trailing edge of the ribs are buried in behind sheeting. Can someone trace one of the outer ribs and post it for me. I would love to get this plane back in the air.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:30 AM
jimlynn

Default RE: Sig 90" Cub

Please, anyone? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure which Sig Cub you're talking about when you say 90" span. The 1/6 scale has a 71" span. The 1/5 scale has an 84.5" span. The 1/4 scale has a 105" span. I don't know that Sig makes a cub with a 90" span. The Great Planes .60 size cub has a 90" span (it's about 1/4.7 scale). If you can narrow it down, it might draw more responses. BTW, I don't have any of the Sig Cubs and can't really help. I have the GP Cub.

-Scott
Old 04-24-2004, 02:08 AM
jimlynn

Maybe this will help. It is 50.5" from the firewall to the tip of the tail. The stab is 25" across at the hinge line. This cub has a two part white aluminum landing gear and is using the 4.25" Cub wheels with the wheel covers. The wheels may be aftermarket... The covering feels like the same covering that is on my BeeGeeY by Pacific Aero, but I believe this is a kit, not an ARF -- but I may be wrong... I'll post the wing chord from the good side sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:48 AM
jagnweiner

Jim-

Hard to say. The dimensions you describe seem very similar to my GP .60 Cub, which does have a 90" wingspan. I'm not at home so I can't take measurements to compare. The total length for that plane, according to GP's website, is 56.5". After subtracting for the cowl, your measurement of 50.5" would be in the ballpark. The Sig 1/5 scale has a length of 55.25", which is also in the same range. I'm not saying yours isn't a Sig, its just that the 90" wingspan doesn't seem to line up. What all do you have to go on to identify the manufacturer? I'll check the other measurements at home tonight.

-Scott
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 AM
jimlynn

Maybe this will help....

I just measured the wing chord at 13.5" and appears to be about 2" at it's thickest point. The ailerons are 3" and barndoor type (not strip) and the center "cut-out" where it fits around the top of the windscreen is almost exactly 6"
Old 04-27-2004, 06:11 AM
jagnweiner

Jim-

I don't know if anyone else has any feedback on this identifying your Cub or not. I checked the measurements of the elevator and fuselage on my GP .60 Cub last night and they are identical to what you gave. If it turns out your Cub is a GP and not a Sig, I can get you outlines of the wing ribs or a copy of the entire plans. You could also order the parts directly from GP. If you could post a picture of the cockpit area, I could tell you for sure if it is the GP version. I'm not real familiar with the Sig 1/5 scale Cub. I know what the Sig 1/6 scale looks like, but the 1/5 is completely different, from what I understand.

-Scott
Old 04-28-2004, 03:35 AM
jimlynn

You're actually the second person to tell me that it may be the GP version..... I need the short rib and one of the full size ribs. I'm assuming that they are all the same from the ailerons to the tip.. It also appears that they have several lightening holes. If this sounds right, I could use a good scan of the two rib sizes. if they match, I would be interested in a copy of the plans.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 AM
jagnweiner

Jim-

I'll see what I can do. I'm in a trial (I'm an attorney) for the rest of the week, so I'm somewhat limited on time. If I can't get it scanned, I could fax it to you.

If it turns out it is the GP Cub, take a look at [link]http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/gpma0162pl.html[/link] You can order all of the wing parts, plus the plans for a relatively reasonable price. You can also download the construction manual at [link]http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/gpma0162-manual.pdf[/link] .

-Scott
Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: jagnweiner

Jim-

I don't know if anyone else has any feedback on this identifying your Cub or not. I checked the measurements of the elevator and fuselage on my GP .60 Cub last night and they are identical to what you gave. If it turns out your Cub is a GP and not a Sig, I can get you outlines of the wing ribs or a copy of the entire plans. You could also order the parts directly from GP. If you could post a picture of the cockpit area, I could tell you for sure if it is the GP version. I'm not real familiar with the Sig 1/5 scale Cub. I know what the Sig 1/6 scale looks like, but the 1/5 is completely different, from what I understand.

-Scott
I am currently building the Sig 1/5 scale and the dimensions given do not fit. The 1/5 scale is advertised on Sig's site as an "Anniversary Edition". It's two most notable/ identifyable features are a working door and window on the right side and a "bird's eye view" window on the top center of the wing/cabin area.

For what it's worth, this is my first kit. I don't know why I waited so long in starting it. It is going so smoothly, I can't believe it. This kit is also laser cut, not die cut.

Anyway, good luck!

Dano13

p.s. I love the Cub also!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:58 AM
jimlynn

I looked at the GP site and it is def the J3-.60 powered Cub. If someone wants to look at the plans and scan me the ribs from the aileron bay to the tip on one side, I will be forever grateful. Otherwise I may just order the parts and plans... Thanks Jagnweiner!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:06 AM
jagnweiner

Great! Mystery solved. I will try to get my scanner working this weekend to scan the ribs.

-Scott
Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 AM
jimlynn

Default RE: GP .60 Cub

jagnweiner, you still around. I assume you got busy