Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

opinions please

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:41 PM
whzyrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions please

i am in the process of building a super sportster 60 and am torn between putting a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke in it so im looking for opinions and or recomendations for this plane please. Looking for it to haul butt and be acrobatic
thank you Rich
Old 04-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Default RE: opinions please

I used a 2 stroke OS 61 FX in mine, it was a real screamer. Had great vert as well. Would do great aerobatics but not 3D. The Sportster is a great low wing trainer and semi-scale plane. Your going to enjoy it!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:07 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a Webra Speed Schnurle .61 with a pipe and retracts on mine. Faster than heck and unlimited vert. Personally, I wouldn't waste time with a 4 stroke, but that is just me.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an ST.75 in mine. Unlimited verticle and rediculously wide flight envelope. Flys real slow on the wing, or screams by. I beefed mine up with a spar joiner and glass on the center section. And moved the wheels onto the fuse just forward of the LE. Been flying great about 9 years. Tough bird.
Edwin
Old 04-23-2004, 08:48 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Well, if you're looking for aerobatics, I'd always go for a four stroke. The torque is great when looking for vertical in manuevers (much better than any two stroke).

If you're looking for speed (haulin' butt), then go with a strong two stroke.

Either way, prop choice will play a major role in what the engine will give you. Smaller diameter, higher pitch for speed; larger diameter, smaller pitch for torque (and vertical grunt).
Dennis-
Old 04-23-2004, 09:05 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Dennis is giving you sound advice. Let me add my two cents to what he already posted.

No plane does it all. If you want fast, get something with a thin wing and prop it with a high pitch small diameter prop for rpm and top end performance. What you have in the Sportser is a sport plane/aerobatic (not acrobatic) trainer. I would set it up to fly the way it was designed to be flown, with a wide flight envelope but not a speedster. Flyboy's pipe seems like a waste to me and I'd go with a fourstroke for vertical performance. I'd prop it with the larger diameter lower pitch props of the recommended range and enjoy slower smoother flight while practicing basic aerobatic manuevers. If you want to zip around a bit switch to the speedier prop but use the plane for it's intended purpose and you'll enjoy it more.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:28 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Mine has a TT Pro .61 in it, but I wish I had put a Saito .91 in it. With the engine upright and all exposed, it would look much better, and the sound cannot be compared. I just think this is one airframe that could really showcase a beautiful engine. If you have the few extra bucks, go for the 4-stroke.

Pilgrim
Old 04-24-2004, 11:57 AM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Why not get two motor mounts with the same fire wall hole pattern--put a hot 60 on one & a good 91 FS on the other. Try both--see which one you like--can't be all that hard to switch out motors . Just make sure you re-balance. I bought a slighty used TT 61 for $50.00 ,so there are bargins out there. There is a ton of engines in the Market place forum in RCU --check em out --Good Luck ---
Old 04-25-2004, 12:31 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

The engine compartment on this plane is pretty tight, and you will more than likely have to build it to the exact engine you choose. My TT .61 barely fit between the balsa cowl sides without having to carve out the inside walls. You'll have to make access for the needle valve and exhaust etc, so it's not that feasible to switch between two different engines.

The TT .61 is a little on the heavy side compared to others, but I only had to add 1/2 oz of lead to tail for balance. I think the Saito .91 is pretty light, so you shouldn't have a balance problem.

Pilgrim
Old 04-25-2004, 01:57 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Here is a picture of mine with a Saito.91 shoehorned in at about the 8:00 position. No pump, no problems, unlimited vertical with a 14x6 APC, 15% Red Max, 1870 elevation. This is a nice setup, but of course I had to do it the hard way. Weigh: 6 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70335.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	126146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14161.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	126147  
Old 05-01-2004, 10:00 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So whzyrd, what did you decide? Got any pics?

Jerry
Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 AM
whzyrd

Thanks for all the ideas im still in the building stage i just finsihed 3 straight weeks of doubles at work so the plane has just been sitting I havent decided on a power plant yet but as soon as i do ill post thank you all again very much for you ideas what a great bunch of people here (bow)
Rich