Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

US Aircore Nose Wheel

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

US Aircore Nose Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:21 PM
reapr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Aircore Nose Wheel

I was just getting to the point where I do a stearable nose wheel for my aircore trainer. The instructions bypass detail on this step other than just mentioning it and go with detain on the rear wheel. Has anyone gone the steerable nose wheel with the rudder servo as there is very little room with the rest of the stuff inside.
Would I be better going with the rear wheel at this point it would be my first trainer.
And if I go with the rear wheel what would be the advantages or disadvantage.

Help anyone.

TIA
Old 04-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Mike in DC

Default RE: US Aircore Nose Wheel

I built my Aircore quite a few years ago, but I just took out the manual, and I see what you mean. I'm not sure how I ever got it together, but it wasn't my first kit, so I think I was able to figure things out.

Anyway, the diagram in step 9 (page 18) shows pretty well how the nose gear attaches to the power cartridge. You should watch the video in this section, because it contains information not in the manual (like the dimensions of the nose gear block, and its orientation). But if you get it wrong, you'll be OK, I did too. Now look very carefully at the picture on page 17 of the power cartridge with the servos installed. The servo by itself (upper left of the three)with one arm is the throttle servo. The push rod for this servo snakes up past the fuel tank to the engine throttle. It's a straight shot past the tank.

Now, if you look carefully, you'll see the servo on the lower right has two arms instead of one. That's the rudder/nose wheel servo. Attach the push rod for the nose wheel on the arm at the bottom of the picture. It snakes up the other side of the fuel tank, where you will position the nose gear arm. Again, it's a straight shot.

It should fit pretty well. I never had any problem with the push rods, but I had to carve out one of the formers to get the receiver and battery to slide in.

On the issue of nose gear vs tail wheel: I built mine with the nose gear. It does make it very easy to taxi, so one less thing to worry about while learning. On the other hand, it gets banged up a bit, and it needs almost constant adjustment, so when you graduate to tail draggers like I did, you'll wonder why you ever put up with it.

I've never flown the plane with a tail gear, so I can't say for sure, but given what I know now, I would recommend the tail gear. The plane will probably taxi fine and it'll be a lot less work to keep it adjusted.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Mike in DC

Default RE: US Aircore Nose Wheel

By the way, feel free to PM me with any other questions. Also, I tried, unsuccessfully, to get the Aircore folks to update the manual, which has quite a few errors. If you'd like a list of the errors I found, let me know.