Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

getting ready to cover the Sig Piper Cub, I want some tips and some input on this subject.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

getting ready to cover the Sig Piper Cub, I want some tips and some input on this subject.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:06 PM
rs4driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting ready to cover the Sig Piper Cub, I want some tips and some input on this subject.

Well, im done building my 1/6 scale Sig Piper J-3 Cub, and its now ready for covering, this model WAS meant for silk, but it said in the manual to just add supports in weak spots if im using iron on covering, so i added plenty of supports, but now i hit a roadblock, im wondering what covering to use, i dont really wanna use monokote on this, just because i have used it so much and wanna try something else,, im thinking 21st century film, has anyone used this??, and also, i would like some tips, because i have never done round tip wings, and also the elevator and rudder, and all that stuff have to be covered attatched to the fusalage and i have never done any like this.

just looking for any tips or input, anything you have to say is appreciated!
thanks!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Jeepindog

Default RE: getting ready to cover the Sig Piper Cub, I want some tips and some input on this subject.

I just covered my SIG 1/5 scale Cub in 21st Century fabric and it was really easy to use. Just take your time and use the heat gun conservatively. Try doing the wingtips only, bottom then top, and then do the main wing panels, bottom then top. It's not as hard as you think it will be. Just be prepared to spend a little more for this fabric than Monokote. It looks great, and shrinks and adheres very well compared to regular films. Make good friends with a long straight edge to trim bigger pieces if you don't already have one.

Lachlan
Old 05-05-2004, 08:36 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Default RE: getting ready to cover the Sig Piper Cub, I want some tips and some input on this subject.

When I covered my cub, I used Solar Tex and was very pleased with the results. I covered the underside of the fuse with one piece and completely covered the rest of the fuse with just one other large piece. I like Solar Tex much more the 21st Century. Covering a cub in film is punishable by jail time and a large fine. You MUST use fabric or paint. I also covered my Waco in SolarTex
Jeff
Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe it.....someone actually finished a 1/6th scale Sig Cub!!!!!

Jerry
Old 05-05-2004, 10:17 PM
rdcracer
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with Solartex or Worldtex. Much lighter than 21st centry and goes around curves better than any covering I have used. Try it you won't be disappointed. Here is a photo of my DVIII done in solortex. Even the crosses are done with it. Its easier than taping and painting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18109.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	129610  
Old 05-06-2004, 09:08 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't use 21st Century FILM, the plastic peals away from the color over time.

The "Tex" fabrics are great, but must be painted.

If you want a fabric look, 21st Century FABRIC is already colored, and easy to use.

If you don't care about the fabric look, try Ultracote.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
rdcracer
My Feedback: (2)

Why do the tex fabrics have to be painted? My LHS has the in various colors.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 PM
MinnFlyer

My mistake. I thought those needed painting.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Phlip

I can't believe it.....someone actually finished a 1/6th scale Sig Cub!!!!!
Hey Jerry, check out this post:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1402921/anchors_1418882/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1418882]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1402921/anchors_1418882/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1418882[/link]

I covered my friends Sig Cub with Koverall and dope. It's a lot of work, and smelly, but the results are great. I would definately recommend fabric as opposed to film, painted or otherwise.

Phil
Old 05-07-2004, 06:29 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

My Sig !/6th scale was a joy to build. I love the building process so this was my cup of tea. I removed one bay from each wing, clipping the wing. Kept the yellow scheme by using monocoat and remember to use the wing struts. They are functional. Built right they fly great. I am using a OS 40 4s surpass.

JEB

Name:	Om33501.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	129940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85736.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	129941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20404.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	129942  
Old 05-07-2004, 12:26 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could finish them like a lot of we older flyers did and use silk and dope. It will really be one of the lightest covering that you can do although it is a little labor intensive.
When done you will have a new appreciation for how planes had to be finished years ago, have mastered a new technique ,to you, and gained a new appreciation for modern covering methods. Dennis
Old 05-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest using SolarTex. It is a prepainted and preglued fabric. With Coverite you need to use BalsaRite or StixIt on the airframe to get it to adhere securely, not so with SolarTex. A plus I find with SolarTex is that the overlap seams are much less noticeable than with Coverite.

This is a LOW temp covering. It goes around curves easily and I find it much easier to work with than Coverite, PLUS it is substantially lighter. I did two identical FW-56 (Stosser). The one with Coverite was about 4 oz heavier than the one with SolarTex.

SolarTex comes colored or natural. The colored is fuel proof, HOWEVER, in order to keep grime from building up in the weave over time, I suggest spraying a coat of water base polyurethane (MinWax PolyCrylic or similar) over it. I have also found it doesn't wrinkle as much over the winter as the film coverings.

I think once you try SolarTex, you will not want to go back to Monokote.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Jeepindog

ORIGINAL: Campy

The colored is fuel proof, HOWEVER, in order to keep grime from building up in the weave over time, I suggest spraying a coat of water base polyurethane (MinWax PolyCrylic or similar) over it. I have also found it doesn't wrinkle as much over the winter as the film coverings.
I may not be the smartest guy in the world, but doesn't spraying an entire model's covering with a coat of polyurethane add weight to it? Over the whole plane, top and bottom of wings, entire fuse, tail surfaces, it must come close to 4 ounces. I think that the weight argument on this one is a moot point. Like I said above in post number 2, 21st Century FABRIC is great stuff and covers very well. It doesn't need any pretreatment like someone said, and it does indeed adhere extremely well to CLEAN wood.

Lachlan
Old 05-13-2004, 12:51 AM
rs4driver

thanks for all the replies guys! anyways, heres a pic of the cub so far., no covering or anything yet.

Name:	Om33195.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	131869  
Old 05-13-2004, 01:00 AM
rs4driver

man, i just noticed, my camera bites doesnt it? LOL, anyways, here is another pic of it, i put a 1/10 scale r/c car beside it for size comparison.

Name:	Zx72240.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	131870  
Old 05-13-2004, 09:48 AM
MinnFlyer

Is it the camera, or is that left wing drooping?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:48 AM
nbcguy

I'm with you MinnFlyer, it's almost as if the wing has anhedral in it. I sure hope it's the camera.