Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

New Waco pictures

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New Waco pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Waco pictures

I hope this come out. These are pictures of my recently completed 1/5th Pica Waco with which I won 1st place in my clubs static contest.
Covering is Solartex with Solartex pinking
Powered by OSFS120
Functional wires on the stabs
Static wires on the wings
Dummy radial from Top Flight
Pilot is from Aces of Iron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99390.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	130905  
Old 05-10-2004, 01:29 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Default RE: New Waco pictures

Next

Name:	Sq45816.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	130906  
Old 05-10-2004, 01:30 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Another

Name:	Qo40675.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	130907  
Old 05-10-2004, 01:39 PM
ksechler

That's awesome. I'd be scared to fly it.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:34 PM
kirknik

Beautiful example of one of the most beautiful airplanes ever.
Very nice.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:39 PM
WarpdSpazm

Love the angles Jeff. Make it look almost real... Smile man!

On a side note, I got mine up and flying this sunday; it's GREAT! 3 fun flights and 3 good landings which i got to taxi back on!... Had so much fun, i didn't notice the sever sunburn i got... whoops.... Can't wait to see her fly...
Old 05-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Donnie7

Great job. I hope mine turns out that good. I'll be covering soon. Where did you order the dummy radial?
Donnie
Old 05-10-2004, 04:49 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCFlyerNYC
Excellent job! Would you describe how you used "Solartex Pinking"? I think in a previous forum string you stated that you used a special pinking shear. Does this shear give a 1/5 scale cut? What shear product is it,etc. Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 05:13 PM
jaof

Hi RCFlyerNYC

just gorgeous really a superb job
Old 05-11-2004, 06:47 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Thanks for the feedback,guys. After covering the plane with Solartex, I cut strips of Solartex 3/8th wide with a pinking shears and ironed over the covering. To help with keeping them on, I sprayed clearcote over the covering. I don't know the size of the pinking shears "teeth". I got the shears at a fabric store. As far as the pinking goes, I was going for the "look" rather than scale perfction.

Name:	Tr50534.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	131169  
Old 05-11-2004, 07:15 AM
althepal

HI Jeff,

Beautiful, simply beautyfull! How long did it take you to build this gem?
About your pinking tape, did you have any problem with shrinking when you applied heat to it?
I love biplanes, and lean towards building a Jungmeister, also 1/5 scale. Was your kit laser cut? Did you have access to a real waco to get some references for details? Did you fly it yet?
Anyway, shows us that even with the current expension of ARF, a nice plane build from a kit is a step above!
A job well done!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:37 AM
flyingbells

I had a Waco kit sitting for a couple of years now, with a fibreglass cowl and a Saito 170R3 waiting....

wish I can get off my butt and do some building.

The kit is not laser cut. Not many kits are laser cut anyway.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:31 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Althepal
The Waco took me @ 5 1/2 months to complete and it is the lazer cut kit. The folks at Pica were very helpful because I found some of the instructions kinda vague. I didn't use pinking tape, I cut strips of matching Solartex. I saw a full size Waco at the Airdrome in upstate NY and I looked at every picture I could find on the internet because there were no photos with the kit, just drawings. I'm doing some last minute details and I'm hoping to fly it over Memorial Day weekend
Jeff
Old 05-11-2004, 10:20 PM
bojangle

Jeff
Fantastic job. It will be a showstopper where ever you fly it. And I agree, the angle makes it look sooooo real.

BO
Old 05-12-2004, 12:08 AM
swooper

Congratulations! What a beauty. I'm just starting the 1/6-scale Pica Waco.

Did you build the front end as per plans with the tank compartment open behind the engine? I'm going to glass it on my Jungmeister, it's leaking. Also, I installed the tank with foam wrapping, what a mess! This time I'll try gluing it in with Shoe-Goo. It's a weird design.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:25 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Swooper,
I left the front plans the way they were. I fuel proof the area with thinned opoxy and and wrapped the tank with foam. I also wrapped the receiver and battery with foam and I'm starting to feel the weight. What else can I use instead of foam?
Your Jungmeister is VERY cool by the way. I like the mudguards
Jeff
Old 05-12-2004, 08:26 PM
swooper

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerNYC

Swooper,
I left the front plans the way they were. I fuel proof the area with thinned opoxy and and wrapped the tank with foam. I also wrapped the receiver and battery with foam and I'm starting to feel the weight. What else can I use instead of foam?
Your Jungmeister is VERY cool by the way. I like the mudguards
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Is the tank-wrap foam soaked with oil? I'd make a bulkhead and close the tank compartment off, but my carburetor is in the way.
Yes, I'm paranoid about oil because it's forever...
I didn't understand the next sentence about feeling the weight. ?
I think the electronics really need the foam-wrap to protect against vibration. The tank, though, may be a different story? Lots of ARFs now have you glue the tank to close-fitting formers. I tried it on a Yellow Aircraft .30-size Extra 300 (too lazy to hog out the formers for room for foam) and the engine ran fine. So I'm thinking maybe the tank needs to either be solidly connected or in foam, but if it's rattling loose then it can vibrate badly enough to foam the fuel.

Once again, your Waco and your photography are great to see!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Thanks for the compliments Paul. What I meant by "feeling the weight" was that when I added some additional 1/4" foam in the receiver area, I started to feel the plane getting heavier. I already wrapped the fuel tank with 1/4" foam. Since I'm at the top end of the weight recommended for my plane, I was wondering whether there was something lighter I could use like that dark foam that comes in transmitter cases that seems lighter than the foam you get at the LHS.
BTW, tell us about your Space Walker. It's a Sig, right?. I fly the GP ARF version. I power it with a TT120. I love the way the plane looks but its crawls. I wish it moved a little faster
Jeff
Old 05-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Donnie7

again,, where did you buy the dummy radial? My waco is feeling pretty heavy even before the covering, What did yours weigh? Has it flown? Did you glue the head rest and the tail feathers before you covered? Did you get the incedence perfect with the wings? Is Soloflex the way to go! I just modified the bottom wing for duel servos for the ailerons. Is the clearence in the wheel pants enough for landing? Sorry to hammer you with questions. Trying to finish mine. I'm a good listener
Donnie
Old 05-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Donnie7

Hey swooper
You built a sig spacewalker. I just got my 1/3 kit in the mail. I will start as soon as I finish my waco. Keep in touch. I will need some help I'm sure!
Donnie
Old 05-13-2004, 12:34 AM
swooper

Sorry, but no, my Space Walker is also the GP arf. It's going on its 4th season, or maybe 5th. That Sig kit is tempting but it would push me and the rest of the models out in the yard. The Space Walker has become my "everyday", relaxing, old reliable model. It's powered by a .91 Surpass.

We fly at 6300 ft. and that low wing loading is just the ticket. I enjoy the plane but it's hard to imagine waiting for it to do anything down near sea level. I get a kick out of its low flying speed and trying to make basic aerobatics look "scale".

Thanks for the comments on foam, Jeff. I've been using mattress-type foam for packing the radio gear. I cut a piece big enough to fill the compartment available, and slice it enough to stuff the receiver or battery into its middle, then stuff the whole thing into the airplane.

I've framed up the tail surfaces of the 1/6 Waco and lightened them a total of about 3/4 ounce. If that would mean balancing by lightening the nose by 4 times as much, it would save about 1/4 lb.

Name:	Yw67742.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	131866  
Old 05-13-2004, 01:28 AM
flyingbells

I've heard the "N" struts needs to be modified. Is this true?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:15 AM
h8w8n

What does Solartex call that color? I am looking for a "cream" color about like that, but they don't have anything called cream.?????????????
Old 05-13-2004, 06:39 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Donnie,
The radial is from Top Flight and you can get it at Tower. It's the 1/5th size. When you get it, e-mail me and I'll give you some tips. It'll add some weight for sure. My plane weighs 15 lbs.
I covered the head rest, rudder and elevators before installing. The fin and stab were attached first, then covered.
What type of surface you take off from effects the pants. Our field is pretty bumpy so they take abuse, but certain planes just don't make it in my book without the pants so I just do the maintenance.
My stab and lower wing incidences are correct, I haven't done the top wing yet, but if I have to adjust the incidence on the top wing, that won't be hard.
The only thing left for me to do is finish setting up the throttle connection which I'm having problems with. I can't seem to get the throttle arm to fully rotate.
I'm expecting to fly over Memorial Day weekend. I hope I answered all your questions.Get back to me if I can be of anymore help
Jeff
Old 05-13-2004, 06:48 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Randy,
The Solartex color is called Antique but you have to know that its translucent, meaning the wood grain is going to show through. Personally, I like that look on this type of plane, just make sure that if you use balsa filler, use the wood color. This way you get a more even color under the covering. You will see some of the flaws showing through, but like I said, this is a barnstormer, not a high performance plane, so for me, the little coloring flaws add some character to it.
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.