Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Cheroke

Old 05-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Russ Butchart
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Midwest Cheroke

I have recently acquired a Midwest Cheroke kit and am interested in any one's expierience with this kit. Are there any building quirks or design faults that I need to know about? What engine was used and how did it fly?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:26 PM
jimlynn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Midwest Cheroke

I have been flying one since 1993. It flies like it is on rails. I set my control surfaces for 100% of what the plans suggested, but then set the radio for 120% and bumped the exponential to smoothe out the center portion of the control movement. It has had one engine, a 4-stroke Saito .56 Gold Knight which still purrs. At half throttle the plane flies very scale-like and will do mild aerobatics with a smoothness that makes me look to be a better pilot than I am.. At 1/4 throttle, the plane settles in to land with a scale-like flair.

Be carefull with the wing and make sure it is built flat. Once covered, the wing is almost indestructable and I added nav/landing lights and a nose wheel brake since the field that I was flying at when I built the kit was VERY short.

When carrying the plane, be careful of the canopy and cowling. Squeezing at the wrong place can dent the non balsa parts of the plane. Having said that, my Cherokee is almost as pretty as when it was first built.

You should love it, but if you ever get bored with it, let me know!