Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Seniorita Kit Ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Seniorita Kit Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG Seniorita Kit Ideas

I've got one of these kits to piddle with and a couple engines to choose from... a TT GP .25 and a TT PRO .36. The radio gear will be light with a JR R610M RX and Hitec 225 servos. I'm looking at building it stock for the .25 or going with ailerons w/ two aileron servos for the .36. I'm sure either way would be entertaining/fun, but I'd like to get some feedback as to anything else anyone has tried...and gotten away with...with this kit. I don't want to over-stress the airframe with a .36 and ailerons...if that is indeed a possibility...and I don't want to think it 'could have been better' after it is built stock and flying with the .25. Or...I could break down and buy a BB .25-.32 engine and go from there.

Well?????
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: SIG Seniorita Kit Ideas

I'm running a TT.36 in a Sig LT-25, but with a 12x4 prop. I reduced the dihedral and did some other mod's for appearance sake......a.la. Cessna 185. The larger prop is definately an over-prop situation, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. If you don't want to buy another engine you might consider something similar. Oh, the engine is mounted on it's side and has the older smaller muffler. See picture:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94602.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	133843  
Old 05-18-2004, 09:50 PM
bojangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the "I'm so excited" thread on this forum. Goboto did a fantastic job building his. I believe he flattened the wing a little and has ailerons. If this is your first plane, would suggest sticking with the trike gear setup.

BO
Old 05-19-2004, 12:34 AM
goboto

Hi, I just finished building a Seniorita myself. Look for my photo gallery. So far, I haven't maidened yet. Still waiting for the good weather and an instructor to show up at the field at the same time. Soon; I can promise myself. [8D] I chose to go for a 4 stroke Saito 30 and I've had good fun breaking it in! I don't think I'd worry about being too particular about the servos. There is tons of space in the fuse and wing. I used Futaba 3004s all around, just because they came with my 6EXA TX. I used a pair of 3004s, one for each aleron, with a Y cable. Everything fit easily. I would not recomend using the 1/4in sq balsa for the rudder and elevator pushrods as Sig shows on the plans. I replaced mine with 1/4in basswood dowels because the balsa vibrated badly and was prone to bend too easily. When it came to balance it, With my engine, I had to put the battery and reciever behind the servos and no extra weights were needed. Keeping in mind my engine is mounted a little farther forward than a 2 stroke due to the carb location.

What else would you like to know?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

My half completed Kadet Seniorita has a stretched wing (one bay each side) to around 70". I halved the dihedral and added barndoor ailerons. I also sheeted the top of the D-tube. The wing is pretty much framed up.

I've also built the tail feathers with split elevator halves and a reshaped rudder to facility conversion to a tail dragger.

That's about all I've done, and this project has been mothballed - unfortunate consequence of playing with all the new ARFs these days.

FWIW, I think the TT pro 36 will be a great engine for the Seniorita.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

ORIGINAL: goboto

...I don't think I'd worry about being too particular about the servos. There is tons of space in the fuse and wing...

I'm using smaller servos to loose some wieght, not save space. A little here and a little there DOES add up in the long run. You can easily trim 1/4 - 3/4 pound off of a .40 sized plane with the right glues and smart building/equiping.

For ailerons I'll probably go with strip type since I have a lot of stock to do that and I want to use them for flaps. The flaperons will be coupled to the elevator in a mix that will aid manuevering. Pushrods to the elevator/rudder will be Sullivan Goldenrods that are properly supported to minimize flex or maybe I'll use some carbon fiber arrowshafts. The rudder hinge-line will probably be made as vertical as possible since it is not needed to be at an angle with ailerons. Sheeting the front of the wing sounds like a good idea and I'll probably get rid of half of the dihedral, too. Looks like the TT PRO .36 w/ an APC 11x4 prop will be the power plant.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:42 AM
kdheath

I made up new rounded wing tips and tail surfaces to resemble an older Piper. With wing struts, Piper style LG and a Super Cruiser paint job, it was a good stand-way-off-and-squint scale Piper. Flew nice on an OS 40 FS.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Gene I've been playing with the idea of stripping my old Seniorita down and recovering it with transparents AFTER wiring the bones with LEDs for some night flying fun. I use an ancient first generation OS FS40 Surpass in mine btw. Wonderful combination that is.