Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

hangar 9 corsair wing failure

Old 05-20-2004, 03:49 PM
oncebitten
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default hangar 9 corsair wing failure

Well everyone ,I have some bad news...MY HANGAR 9 CORSAIR'S Wing failed in flight .The plane took off fine with no trim changes at all.After 9 minutes of flying it at half throttle I pushed the nose down 15 degrees and put the century jet retracts down for a high fly by at 1/3 throttle ...then about 20 seconds later..... the wing exploded..and into the ground it went.I took the plane home and looked to see what caused the failure.and I found out.ALL I CAN SAY IS EVERYONE FLYING THIS AIRPLANE IS FLYING a accident waiting to happen.The main spar has a design flaw by how it is built,and at it's weakest point the main spar is only 1/4 by 1/4 inch square.THIS IS THE MAIN SPAR!!!!!and to top it all off there was a definite lack of glue everywhere within the wing.I tore the ultracote from the other side of the good wing and stripped the sheeting off of it..and there was no glue in it, in the most critical areas.I have photos that I took with my digital camera if anyone is interested in seeing just where their plane's wing is going to fail.Upon examining the good wing with the sheeting removed it too was fractured in the same place where the other one broke...also the other weak part of this plane ,which was also cracked on the good wing,is just behind the wing louvers,you would think there would be something for a leading edge...NOPE!!!! you remember what you saw under the louvers before you glued them on?..right very soft 1/16th balsa wood ..they virtually cut the wing leading edge in half..... it will break outside of where the gear are installed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63379.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	134367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74994.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	134368  
Old 05-24-2004, 04:09 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: hangar 9 corsair wing failure

I would call Hanger 9 they took care of me after my vertical blew apart on my second flight. They sent me a new kit which is better than nothing.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:58 PM
AQ500

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That wing has scared me since I took the thing out of it's box. The first thing I noticed was the flimsy outer panels and creases in the covering right where the aileron starts. I figured I live with that (still scares me). I built the wing and really didn't like the sharp edges just outside of the fuselage. I sanded them and then glassed them well. I then tested the wing by applying a force of less than 5 pounds on the tip while holding the center. I could hear wood cracking right in the retract area. When I hear wood cracking, I know that wood is failing because the structure is not adequate and the stresses are too high. I reinforced the retract area by bridging across where the bottom spar should be. That really stiffened the wing and I could put a good amount of force on the tip without hearing any wood cracking. I then noticed creases in the covering on the top of the wing in the middle of the outer bend. The crease was about 1/8 of an inch. I pulled the covering off to find a good size gap and no glue whatsoever between the upper sheeting. The wing was bending at the joint until it pushed the gap together. So, watch those negative G's. I ended up glassing that joint in the wing as well.

Looking at the wing structure, the outer sheeting is going to probably carry more load through the center section and out a ways than the spar. Imagine an "I" beam where the sheeting is the outer flanges. Now imagine an I beam without one of the outer flanges removed and the incredible decrease in strength. That is what is going on in the wheel well and what that gap I found will do. I think that anyone that wants the plane to last needs to pull the covering off and glass the wing joints and sheeting joints.

I don't think that the wing built stock, atleast the one I got, would not last a single flying season. I've spent more than 20 hours attempting to make the plane strong enough to where I would dare fly it.

How did this thing make it onto the market so poorly engineered and built?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59730.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	136530  
Old 05-26-2004, 07:56 AM
oncebitten

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AQ...good luck with your plane mine weighed 10lbs on the nose after the firewall beef up, and the tail wheel and retracts..and the airframe in the wing is pretty shabby,even the very light weight balsa ribs are hollowed out way too much in my opinion.it might have held together if they would have used some epoxy instead of hot glue up the sides of the area that needed it instead of the actual JOINTS!..there is a fellow at my field that built the top flite corsair ,his weighs about 9 lbs with a 90 magnum(recommends a .120 also),and his wing is the strongest part of his plane he crashed it once and wrecked the fuselage all the way to the wing,and rebuild it and it flys fine now ,but his wing was basically undamaged ,you know by the time we have to re-engineer these planes then rebuild half of them you wonder if its worth the trouble ,I am thinking about going back to the kits that are proven designs..and I could darn near build it as fast also..when you consider the time involved..But some ARFs are ok..I bought one of the Tower Phenoix Sukhoi's when the were 80 bucks and put a saito .82 on it and that plane is a great flying and strong airframe,I saw another club member put it to every test there was ...its a tough plane.I built that plane with all of the exact hardware ,pushrods and all ,no changes ,no reinforcement anywhere,I felt is didn't need any.it is made in veitnam.I wish I would have bought a couple of more of them for spare throw aways...lol..80.00 vs 264.00,I think I may try the one brisson sells in the 120 size with a gas engine,if it built half as strong as the small one it will take it.Again all I can say is good luck to everyone.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 AM
oncebitten

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AQ...go check more info on this subject with other photos at this link
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1842434
start reading on about page 27 ..theirs been a couple of more wing failures
Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 PM
twinbrother
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's 2011 and the Hangar 9 Corsair 60 size is still having problems. On a nose over, the firewall fell out of the fuse. Yup, just a nose over and no more firewall. I had to epoxy that back on. After about 1 month of flying, less than 20 flights, the wings rip apart in mid flight. I wasn't doing anything crazy, the wings just came apart. There went over $500, $260 for the plane and over $250 for my lipos.

I called Horizon and they're not doing much for me. I would think that after 7 years of people writing on the boards about he Corsair, Hangar 9 would fix it, but they didn't. After close inspection of the wing, I saw there wasn't enough glue holding the wood together. Balsa and plywood literally was falling off the wing sheeting and not where the crack is where the wing broke. I saw that there just wasn't enough glue. Same with the firewall, not enough glue. A generous amount of glue probably could have kept the firewall on the fuse and kept the wings together. How can Hangar 9 be skimping on glue for a $260 plane? That just baffles me.

The customer service rep told me all the boards and forum complaints about the Hangar 9 60 size Corsair are rubbish. Yeah, customers losing a $260 plane because of bad construction is rubbish. Thanks Horizon Hobbies. That's one way of keeping customers.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's one of the reasons most people here in the "kit building" section build kits. No crappy ARF construction.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:33 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been happy with my corsair. It has a Jett .90 on the nose, and no issues. I did some reinforcing when I assembled it, only real issue I had was the cheap ball links on the retracts which they happily sent free replacements.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never had this problem with my 60 size F4U, wait a minute, I built that plane from a kit!!!! Oh, I see, this is a 7 year old post that was supposed to be in the ARF forum where ARF people would see it as a warning. Guess it is still a warning to kit builders, don't buy barfs. Missing glue??? You got to be kidding!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Eagleflightjt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey once bitten, I know you posted this a long time ago but I'm attempting to reinforce the wings on my hanger 9 60 corsair. I would love to see the pics of the failed wing if you still have them. It would be a very useful resource in my project. Please forward them to eagleflightjt@ hotmail.
thanks
joe