Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Somethin Extra w/ HB .61?

Old 05-20-2004, 05:39 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Somethin Extra w/ HB .61?

Does anyone have this set-up or close to it? I was unhappy with my first flight and I had a .46 OS LA in it. Wasn't very fun at all with that junker in it. So I stole my HB.61 out of my 4*-40. Maybe I'll put the .46 in that plane. It is a bit lighter than the SE. I'll find out soon how the *new* SE flies. Later guys.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:01 AM
TimeFLYING
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Somethin Extra w/ HB .61?

I had a ST 51 on mine and it did everything i asked of it. Hope that helps

Thanks
Troy
Old 05-24-2004, 10:16 AM
TyBryner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ST = SuperTigre? That's what I bought for mine, going to fly for the first time probably this weekend.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a HP61 on the front of my SE, 2 servos in the tail, rudder on pull pull. The HP is like the HB just made in different countries. I loved the combination, as could prop the motor for 3D type flying or speed, even though the SE will not go that fast with the thick wing. My next SE I will make the wing much thinner, take 1 bay out and epoxy the wings to fuse to save weight, and install a Saito 82.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hate to disagree with you, Taildrager, but with 26 HB engines in my stable, some I bought new in 1986, and having 5 or 6 HP's (21 and 49 4 strokes, 40 and 61 2 strokes), there is a world of difference between HB and HP besides country of origin. HP's are comparably light for their displacement, good for overpowering but keeping plane weight down; they have gone through at least 3 carb designs, the latest is the best for transition. The HB's are heavy for their displacement, but overall the best, most reliable engines I have ever used, particularly the PDP and Blitz models with output up around 1.8 HP from a design that's over 20 years old. I have a ModelTech ME-109 ARF that I had a TT 46 on that flew okay, but I slapped a 40 PDP on it and the difference was extremely noticeable: shorter, faster takeoffs, instantaneous transition up and down, at least 10 mph faster top end. Not trashing the HP's, they have a place (I have 3 still somewhere), but I've been saving 4 HB 25's solely for a B-17 kit that's been going together (years) and I wouldn't want to put any other engines on it. Just my opinion.........................
Old 05-26-2004, 08:10 PM
GeraldO
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had an older (pre-schneurle) K&B .61 in mine and it flew way better and with more power and torque than another with an OS.46FX.
The K&B is a very light engine for its size though at about 17.5 oz with muffler.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:58 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah. This is a HB .61 PDP. It screams. I have an aftermarket muffler on it. The kind with a long tube thru the entire muffler and is a bronze color. After taking the stocker off this motor came allive. Another guy has a ST .91 on a 4*60 and he thinks my .61 has more nuts than his .91. I love this motor. I acquired it from a guy that was getting out of the hobby. It was a trashed engine. the piston, ring, and bearings were shot. I ordered bearings and the ring, but the piston was back ordered for over 4 months. So I made my own piston and put that in. It works like a dream. yeah..............Can't wait to see how it works in my SE. If only the weather would cooperate..............
Old 05-27-2004, 06:31 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm wanting to build one of these wonderful planes and i was wondering if i should replace the included pushrods for the tail group with some metal ones from great planes? here's a link: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK059&P=0