Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What is this plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What is this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:19 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this plane?

Are you guys familiar with a high wing type trainer that has 1/8 balsa sheet fuselage and has the directions on where to glue the supports on the inside of the fuselage? It has a fiberglass cowel and trycycle landing gear with steerable nose gear. I would post a photo....but I am taking off the covering and it looks really bad. I had to fabricate a new rudder. It looks like it will be a nice little flyer. I is equipped with a .40 two stroke. There was a servo tray that is missing, probably a Sig type of arrangement.

I have never seen a kit with the directions actually printed on the balsa....any clues? Yes....I will post a photo.....just look beyond the uglyness of the stripped covering. Once I am finished with redoing the ailerons, rudder and covering....I will have a nice plane to train new comers in our club with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55237.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	137104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17193.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	137105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86731.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	137106  
Old 05-27-2004, 08:59 PM
bojangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is this plane?

The little hump on the leading edge, and the tail appears to be a Sig type, possibly Kadet Mark II or forerunner, but the span looks shorter than 57". In your second pic, looks like the remains of a white stripe on the nose, similar to this pic. The fin/dorsal joint also looks similar.
Look familiar before you stripped off the covering?
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61925.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	137112  
Old 05-27-2004, 09:12 PM
imsofaman

The rudder...I fabricated but have not hinged the flap yet. The original may have been busted off long ago, the one that was on there looked way too small and had been broken and reglued. The one I made looked like it "fit" the plane better.

The wing is actually 57 1/2" So maybe it is an old Sig? It is really starting to grow on me. Can't wait to finish it.

Dave
Old 05-27-2004, 09:33 PM
bojangle

Well, then Kadet would be my best guess. I've never built the Mark II, but have seen it fly. The current model has an ABS cowl, could have been glass on original.

It's great to breathe life back into an old ship. Very few would go to the trouble, it is a challenge which will reward you with satisfaction, and it is nice that you have others in mind who will benefit from it. Keep us posted with pics of progress.

Bob
Old 05-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Live Wire

It is an old sig kit , it is one that you had to cut out the parts, before the crunch system. Kadet MK 11 and had a plastic cowl. The plans were printed on the Balsa and the sticks were partly cut on sheets.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:12 AM
imsofaman

Thanks guys....at least when people ask me what it is....I tell them now. Thanks for your help.

Dave