Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA EAA Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA EAA Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Cubguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA EAA Biplane

Hi Guys,
Has anyone out there built a Balsa USA EAA biplane from a newer kit? I understand that the kit has been redesigned. Another question, how does it fly? Is it nice handling airplane or a handful?
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:35 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balsa USA EAA Biplane

Men I just finish a Phaeton II that suppost to be the new redesign version and was a nightmare, I hope you have a better experience with yours.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:02 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

I'm about to start one myself. I've read through the manual and looked at the plans, but have glued no parts yet. It's more complicated than kits I've built before, but it doesn't look too bad. I'm going to use Solartex fabric.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:34 PM
bipemasta210

I JUST FINISHED BUILDING MY EAA BIPE. AND SURE AS YOU SAID THE KITT IS QUITE HARD FOR THE INEXPERIANCED MODELER. IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE KIT BUILDING STEPS AND THE WAY THE KIT DESIGNER THOUGHT WHEN HE DESIGNES IT THAN YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. BUT REMEMBER TO READ THROUGH AND AHEAD BY AT LEAST 3 STEPS IN THE INSTRUCTIONAL MANUAL. HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 06-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Don d
My Feedback: (1)

I had an EAA Biplane and it was one of my favorites. Hit a fence post with the left wing acouple of weeks ago and pretty much killed it. I have had it for years and have flown it probably 500 times. I was a real easy plane to fly with no bad tendencies. I put ailerons on the upper wings and it rolls allot better. A dog in the roll dept. with just lower ailerons. Kit was not much to brag about.

Don
Old 06-22-2004, 07:58 AM
dcollins
My Feedback: (12)

Hey JUcava,

I am considering the Phaeton II Kit. What kind of problems did you run into? What engine did you put in it? i was considering a G-23.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:22 AM
beepee

Dion,

I built the older designed kit ('86) and I don't think there was so much a problem as the instructions were basic and assumes the builder knows what he is doing. It was the second kit I built and it was not a real problem, so I would not sweat it.

To run the G-23 I strongly recommend moving the firewall back about 3", maybe even a bit more. I have a similar engine in mine and you need the engine weight moved back for balance. I made the firewall move after completion. Not real issue. If you do it during initial construction it is simple.

I also second the above recommendation for adding ailerons to the top wing. BIG positive change to the flight characteristics. As with the firewall, I did this after completion and flying a while, no problem. I even did it without removing the wing covering ... have I said how much I hate covering?

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 PM
whizzard
My Feedback: (2)

I just bought an EAA Bipe that was already built and flown. It had a large fuel engine as the origional power but came without power.

I am going to "electrofly" it using a Turnigy C5056-400 motor, Turnigy Plush 80 Amp motor control with a built in battery eliminator (ESC) that can handle up to 6 standard servos.

All this is to be powered with a 6s2p (about 20V fresh off charger) 4600 mAh A123 battery pack which should give me plenty of power and should give me about 10 min flying time.

I haven't weighed the plane yet, but think the all up weight will be about 8 lbs.

I am still wondering what propeller to use, the motor can handle a 18x7 prop but I think that a 16x7 or 17x7 would be enough. At full throttle I should get about 8000 RPM.

Does any one who has flown it have any prop suggestions?

Bill

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80922.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1263918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42273.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	1263919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50978.jpg
Views:	137