Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 60 Continued Wing Meladrama

Old 05-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tiger 60 Continued Wing Meladrama

Item #1

I have a case of brain freeze going on, and this may sound dumb but I need to know so I can finish my wing.

When you are fiberglassing a wing together after it is complete and you are going to cover the wing with monocote, do
you monocoat the fiberglass also ( will it stick?) or do you paint it or put a protection coat of some kind on it and only
monocote up to the fiberglass? IQuiring minds want to know!!!!

item #2 I am getting ready to expoy in the the wing landing gear blocks and corresponding torue block. I notice if you
put the torque block in all the way there is quite a gap from where the landing gear block fits in. Is this on purpose or
do you set the torgue block to where the landing gear block meets it and they set the height of the landing gear block?

I am getting sooooo excited now that the wing is almost done!!!!.. I am sure will have some more questions, and I fully
now realize that the wing is everything!!!!!!!.....if it is done right the rest is easy!!!!!..(even thought I have not doe the body
yet)

Thanks for all the help so far!!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:12 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tiger 60 Continued Wing Meladrama

As for fiberglassing the center section, you do it prior to Monokote. Do all your finish sanding then fibergalss. After this has cured, what I do is sand all the lumps and bumps off the fiberglass and then apply some blue long mask masking tape. I then get the heat gun out and warm up the tape to make sure it is sticking good to the fiberglass and Monokote right over the tape. The monokoke will stick to the tape and it looks alot better as well.

I am not sure about the Tiger 60, however I would think that you would want the landing gear block to be epoxied in flush with the wing bottom and the torque block to be glued to the top side of the landing gear block and the proper wing rib. The toruge block should line up correctly and apply liberal ammounts of glue. You may have to drill out the block when the glue dry's. Hope this helps and good luck, Dave
Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 PM
cknaack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Walfam,

Cant help you with the landing gear block, as the three that I built all had retracts.

As far as the bottom center section goes, take your time when glueing the fiberglass down to keep the surface smooth. After your glue dries, lightly sand the fiberglass, taking care not to cut into the weave. Then use balsa filler to fill in the weave and feather the fiberglass out.

The other trick is to cover the bottom of the wing with one continuious piece of covering. Start with a few trim pieces at the front of the faring. It really makes the wing bottom look extra clean.

Attached is two pictures showing my result.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83871.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	136480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55363.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	136481  
Old 05-31-2004, 02:32 AM
Me-109K4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The gap is normal, your gear block will not be seated on the torque block. I just started covering mine tonight, I don't like covering near as much as building so far. When you get that wing done you've got it licked, the fuse goes together very quickly and easily. You know, it might sound strange, but I thought the hardest part was the cornice. I had a heck of a time getting the filler to take shape.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Walfam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ME-109K4 (love dat plane)

Thanks, I figured as much, and I doing some end pieces and trailing edge< they cut one piece crooked!!!> figures I would get it,
so as soon as I have that done and some sanding, Ill put on the fiberglass,a and the cornice! SO I HEAR YA,, Thanks for the
info it makes decisions so much easier when you talk to someone who has been there!!!!!......
Old 06-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Me-109K4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another little suggestion for you Walfam, when you get to makiung your pushrods. The manual tells you to lay your pushrod wire on the basswood block, wrap it with thread, and ca the thread. That looked and sounded a little flimsy to me, so I cut a groove for the wire to lay in, then drilled a hole at the end of the groove. Then I made a bend at the end of the wire to go through the block, and it sits flush with the block, then I wrapped thread and ca'd as normal. Seems a lot more secure to me.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:10 PM
cknaack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used the Dave Brown arrow shafts on the three that I built as I was also concerned about the wire and stick method.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:17 PM
TTARK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Abetter way for the pushrods than the old thread and glue is to groove and drill the rod and then rather than thread and ca, cover the joint with heat shrink tubing, this makes a ver strong joint between the wire and the puchrods

Terry