Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig kadet senior

Old 05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
jdavis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default sig kadet senior

kit vs. arf. I have read somewhere that the arf version has alr.? is this true or did the guy just do it himself. if this is true, does anyone know if the kit version has an option for them, or would i be on my own to add them? if i am on my own, does anyone have a good idea on size, etc? thanks!

-jim
Old 05-25-2004, 03:50 PM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: sig kadet senior

ARF has ailerons, kit does not. I built my kit with strip ailerons by using 2" aileron stock and cutting the ribs off and adding TE with small TE sheeting. I also decreased the dihedral to 1.5" under one wing tip. I also increased the rudder area by about 30%. I have flow the ARF and see some differences. I like the way the ARF flies and rolls, but the kit built plane is so much better constructed. If my Senior dies I'll start another one no doubt.

Marcus
Old 05-25-2004, 07:13 PM
flyingbells

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The kit version is a true balsa kit. I don't recall there's any light ply parts at all.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:51 AM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Firewall, front turtle deck, dehedral braces and front wing support are ply. LG mount is bass wood.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:40 AM
nevadajim
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd love to see how you added the aerilons. I'm going to start the kit soon. got any pics?
Jim Haslam
Old 09-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would at least add ailerons to the kit version to make it more fun to fly, just reduce the dihedral to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches under each wingtip. Here are some of my Kadet's bashing, which I call the "Tracker", the twin version was a blast to fly with 2 .40's, the latest version is the one with me on the picture:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	170868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66671.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	170869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62242.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	170870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48162.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	170871  
Old 09-06-2004, 06:32 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Senior Kadet just about done.I have built several hundred planes,BUT,OMG!this plane has given me nothing but trouble from the minute i started it.You name it it went SOUTH!LMAO!oh well one out of a couple hundred isn't to bad.It's a scratch built plane,i added ailerons also and cut the dihedral down to 1 1/2 under the tips.Thankfully all i have to do is the windsheild and cover it and this nightmare will be over.Ok,where did i put those plans for a Senior Telemaster!Hehe!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 PM
nevadajim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. Like your modifications. I plan on adding aerilons. Don't knw about flaps. Flaps on a Senior?

Is the kit as much a headache as the guy's message below your's says?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't bother with flaps the plane floats forever as it is. Made mine into a tail-dragger and put a 61 2 stroke on it. Ever see a Sr. do an outside loop? Did it once and was afraid of tearing the wings off so never did it again.
The poor old sole went where most planes go at the hands of another, lost the linkage to the elevator..........miss it .
Old 09-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Walter D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do quite a few changes to the Sr., it doesn't fly like a typical trainer model, it behaves more like a real airplane, extremely forgiving at slow speeds specially when deploying flaps, unless it is extremely windy, I always land with about 30 degrees of flaps and I do not have to touch elevator trim (once at 1/4 throttle) . Rolls are very axial, beautiful stall turns and very graceful tail slides, it will neither snap nor spin, stalls are almost impercetible and always straight ahead and I build them a little heavier, I believe I've arrived at the perfect Relaxing Sunday flier. The one with me on the picture weighs in at almost 11 lbs. powered by Saito .91, the one in white and yellow weighed in at 9 lbs. and it was powered by a Webra .40, it was constructed mostly with nomex honeycomb, the twin weighed in at about 11 lbs. with two Webra's .40. Of course you can build them without flaps, but they are so much more fun with them, whenever possible I incorporate flaps into my airplanes.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
SilverEagleBW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Walter,VERY SHARP LOOKING PLANE!,Are those lights i see on the wingtips and a stobe on the fin?The Kadet would be a great plane for flying at night,very stable and prdictable.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Walter D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, lights work, but are not bright enough for night flying, looks very cool taxing around though at sunset! This was a setup I stole from a modeling book and decided to give it a try, not worth the work to have working lights, as in the day they are not noticeable at all, except by having one of the new commercially available very strong landing or strobe xenon lights.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 PM
texasaggie72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim....
I am building a senior kadet and added "barn door" ailerons...
If you will send me your email address I will send you some pictures and links.

Regards,
Jim Brock
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 PM
nevadajim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks

jhaslam@nc.rr.com

looking forward to pics and such. Starting the kit tonight
Old 09-13-2004, 04:04 PM
FlyingIreland

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys what is the trick to landing the kadet gracefully? I built a kit version last year and have real trouble landing it. I almost always undershoot or stall it just when its about to land...
Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Walter D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Keep a little more power on landings and only cut it off once above the runway (and almost in front of you), your problem is typical of newbies, as a practice drill, fly the airplane around the pattern and make the approach as if coming in for landing, but instead do a flyby, practice this manuever several times and each time come in lower and lower, when the airplane is coming toward you, make an effort to have that airplane coming toward you as if your purpose is to have it hit you in the face, but when it is at the start of the runway use rudder to correct it and keep it right on top of the center of the runway, apply power gradually and keep flying above the runway until the end, apply full power, gain altitude and go around, repeat the manuever several times and when landing try to have the airplane touch down in front of you, as you gain experience and confidence you will be able to touch down at the begining of the runway time after time. It takes time to acquire depth perception, it is much harder as you get older. (like over 99). Good luck!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
cap10b

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WalterD,
Man those are some sharp looking birds you have. Great job.!!
I am not surprised at the weight of your planes, mine is stock with the Rod Burhman tail dragger mod.
TT-Pro .61 and HD Servos, Dual batteries and Gem 2000 comes in at 9lbs. The plane likes the weight
and your right it acts and reacts almost like the real thing. Was shooting touch and goes going around tighter
and slower each time and driving all the old retired guys crazy. They like this plane almost as much as my
old Concept fleet.

LOL

Great looking planes.

jds
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60719.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	173111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60630.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	173112  
Old 09-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Walter D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys, that's a cool looking bird there, JDS, that transparent blue looks very nice!
Old 09-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Lynn S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built the kit back in 1990, it was rudder, elevator and no ailerons. A plane that large without ailerons is not a good idea, but I built it for my son to be a trainer.
I have a (red) ARF version still in the box and like the cowl instead of the carved balsa nose.
I'm not sure about using my O.S .40 engine. I know my first Kadet Sr. was a real floater with this same engine (very slow)
Has anyone used a large (32cc) weed whacker engine on this plane?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:38 PM
whitsett

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jim
I built the kadet kit and added ailerons too. I just made a new trailing edge for the wings and used the trailing edge supplied with the kit as the ailerons. worked great
Old 09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
lukeshort

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Built my Sig with barn door ailerons and split flaps, lowered the dihedral and used tail wheel and fiber-glass main gear. It's powered by a Saito 65 and is a really great Sunday flier and trainer. I like to get up high, lower the flaps, throttle back and look for thermals. It'll slow down enough that I can go to the truck and get a drink or sunglasses and return and it's still up 500 feet where I left it. Good way to calm my nerves after a flite with the Corsair.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:09 PM
AVGJohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lukeshort

It'll slow down enough that I can go to the truck and get a drink or sunglasses and return and it's still up 500 feet where I left it.
Is that an AMA approved manuever??

(p.s. When I get my P-40 built this spring will you help me fly it, Dad?)
Old 12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It doesn't do much good to add ailerons unless you remove all the dihedral. Build the wing flat with ailerons and you will have a very nice flyer. Adding flaps is like adding racing stripes to Voltswagan Beetle, looks nice but does little.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:29 PM
2slow2matter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I disagree with that. Adding ailerons will always make a plane roll faster than rudder alone, regardless of the dihedral. I do agree with one thing, though, the less dihedral there, the faster the roll rate should be. However, you don't have to remove all dihedral to get benefit out of working ailerons.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I modified mine for ailerons and flaps I took out half the dihedral. Even with ailerons and less dihedral the rolls were far from spectacular, but it remained a very nice flying airplane.
[link=http://www.rcsites.net/sport_flyer/images/senior.jpg]Here's a pic of mine![/link][&:]

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service