Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe help

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:32 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe help

I've started building and I am at the point I need to decide how I'm working the ailerons. I don't want to go with the stock set up. Not sure about running 1 per ail, or one for 2 ail.

Would I set up one ail controling both left ail, and one controling both right

Or would one per wing be better?

Also, should I get better than standard servos, if so how much bettter?

Not sure what engine is going in it yet. I'm thinking Saito 120, but thats just me thinking.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:42 PM
CHassan

Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe help

By the way this is an OLD kit.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:47 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm building one now and here's what I am doing. I am running a servo in each wing instead of the way they show it on the plans. I'm using a Hitec aileron servo, super thin with about 46Oz of torque, plenty for 2 ail. I will be putting a Saito 1.20 GK in the nose so your spot on there.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:09 PM
rcmiket

Go with the 2 servo set up.Ive done about 5 now and thats the way to go.Great flying plane you'll love it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75866.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	136709  
Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
CHassan

rcmiket,
Looks like you went one servo for each side correct? Then slaved top to bottom?
Thats the same as I was going to do.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:59 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

I set mine up with 2 servos in the bottom wing. As you can see, linkages going to the top aileron. I have the servo exit the bottom of the wing, just my preference. Just finished it over the winter. Have a Saito .91 in it. Have yet to fly it, kids baseball and spring winds have hampered my chances to knock the rust off and get it in the air. I anticipate getting it in the air sometime after the 4th of July, baseball and vacations should be done by then LOL. I just noticed you are about 20 minutes away from me. Where do you fly ? I am a member of the Wingmasters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94314.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	136799  
Old 05-26-2004, 11:09 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHassan,
Go with one servo on each lower wing. As far as what torque servo, I believe a std servo should be fine. I know some have used high torque on this plane, but I plan on using only high torque on the rudder and elevator, and std on each aileron. I can't wait to start mine! Keep us posted on how yours goes. By the way, if you don't have a copy of Higley's Bipes book, check it out. Lots of info on this plane and how to upgrade certain structures.

Pilgrim
Old 05-27-2004, 04:37 PM
CHassan

Thats how I decided to do my ailerons too.

I flew in Xenia a bit last year, but have been flying in Waynesville this year (no AMA membership needed). Last year was the first I had an AMA membershipin 20+ years of flying. I was lucky enough to have a perfect flying site before I moved down here. I didn't renew this year because I thought I would not be flying, but good things worked out and I will be.
I plan on getting my membership agian so I can start going back to Xenia. (It's alot closer)
I've wanted to go to the wingmaster field, if nothing else to sit and watch, but not made it over there yet.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Gry101
My Feedback: (8)

I have mine set up with two Hitec 945MG (153 oz/in at 6.0v), one for each aileron pair. If I had it to do over again, I would go with four Hitec 225MG (67 oz.in at 6.0v) or similar, one on each aileron. I do not like standard servos on aerobatic planes. I will second the Bipes book. I wish I had it when I built mine instead of when I was almost done covering it!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 PM
plasticjoe

If you would like to borrow the copy of the bipes book, Just give me a holler, I have it, it was very valuable in building mine. I could drop it off over at John and Jeanettes with your name on it. ( RC Hobby on Harshman ) Getting Lasik done this weekend, so won't be at the field for a week or 2, Sundays are a great day to come over, someone usually drags out the grill and everyone brings some food. RC Hobby is sponsoring a Fun Fly Cookout on Jun 27th, free food and beverages, nice paved runways and friendly people also. Feel free to drop over anytime ! If you see a guy with a black parkhawk ornithopter, that's me Also the showflyer in my avitar.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:20 AM
CHassan

That sounds like a good time. If everything works out I'll be at the fun fly.
If I could borrow that book that would be super. I was needing a trip to the Hobby Shop anyway
Old 05-28-2004, 05:37 PM
plasticjoe

I'll drop it off tonight with whoever is there. I'll have them hold it under the counter for you. I'll tag it with your name Chassan. I stapeled my business card in it so you can get it to me when you are finished with it. It's a very helpful book. Have a great weekend.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 PM
CHassan

Great, I have to go there tomorrow anyway, need to see about a Saito 120
Old 06-06-2004, 10:25 PM
pilotrob65

I am just starting the CG ultimate. Any suggestions on an engine. I am looking at a saito FA-120 but am tempted to go with a larger saito perhaps a FA-150 or even the FA-180(31 oz.). The other engine I am considering is an O.S. 120 (33.5 oz.) It seems like for less weight the saito will have more power. Any input would be great.

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Saito 1.2 will be plenty big enough. The 1.5 and 1.8, while having more power, also have a lot more weight. The weight offsets the power gain, and makes for a heavier landing plane. That's not a desirable trait. You will also burn quite a bit more fuel. That's expensive!

The CG Ultimate was originally designed to fly on a standard .60 two stroke. At the time it came out, it took a 4 stroke in the 1.20 size to just slightly edge out the .60 in power. Things have changed a lot since then. A current Saito 1.2 has the power output of almost 2 of the old .60 two strokes.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Barnowl
My Feedback: (2)

I have built two Goldberg Ultimates; one has a Saito 1.20 on it and the other a 1.50. According to my poultry scales both engines weigh the same. The 1.20 is adequate for anything you want to do. The 1.50 puts the Ultimate on steroids, and I like that. I don't find that there is any difference in fuel consumption, because with the 1.50 you fly generally at lower power settings. Take your pick.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:31 AM
strasnuts

You are talking three more ounces for the 180 over the 120 not much of a difference for the power.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:46 PM
ptarp

I have a .91 4s laying around that I would love to slap in an ultimate. If propped correctly, would a .91 4s be enough? I'm not looking for speed, I'd most likely prop it for pulling power.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:06 PM
LSP972

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you build it light, a 91 4S will fly it fine. I know of one with an old pre-Surpass OS 91 that flies great.

Assuming, of course, that you don't intend to play helicopter with it...

Old 06-24-2004, 07:29 PM
dilled
My Feedback: (2)

I build one 8 years ago with a YS-120. I used two servo's, one in each wing with a rod to the top. I bend the rods the first time out, so I had to go with a heavier set up. With both ail. working on both side it really turns and burns.