Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Custom Checker pattern steps?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:48 PM
RoughLandin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Custom Checker pattern steps?

I am looking to create a checker pattern on my GP Super Skybolt using uncommon colors, Florecent Green and white or Silver and white.

I have never done a checker pattern so hears what I'm thinking. Please let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

1) Checker size, measure the wing cord (Skybolt has constant cord wings) and decide how large you want each checker to be be. Choosing a number that will be divisible by the cord, this should help to create a symetrical pattern that fits the wing perfectly.

2) Layout the base Monokote (white), Create a grid, either by drawing on the white or measuring each square for position when adhering them.

3) Cut out all the squares (I can hardly wait)

4) Adhere all the squares to the Base Monokote while it's flat, I'm thinking that the trim solvent will work the best here. (I hope I can place them in a straight line after working around the solvent fumes)

5) Cover the wing with this composited sheet.

Another question.

The top wing on this plane is swept. Should the checkers follow the leading edge or shoud they match up with the checker grid on the straight bottom wing?

wing
Old 05-27-2004, 07:05 PM
phread59

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Custom Checker pattern steps?

I would cover the wings first. Then use the solvent and put the squares on. I did this but used Ultracote. I ironed them on. I would follow the leading edge on the swept wing. Keep the squares parallell to the leading edge. I don't think they would look good skewed. They would also be harder to lay out. Every one of your other ideas seem fine to me. BTW I like the white/flourescent green idea.

Mark Shuman
Old 05-27-2004, 07:12 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cover the wing first with the lighter color. Then I cut the individual squares. Then I lay them out begining with the first 2 rows. Once all of them are lined up, I lay a kleenex over the top and iron them down. Kleenex allows air around the square to escape and keeps the bleeding down. After all are laid out, I clean the edges with solvant to seal and wipe up bleeding if it occures.

Here are a few examples of ones I have done this way.

Jason

Old 05-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Flightfreak777

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sweet... ill be doing a yellow and insignia blue checker on the bottom of my RV-4 ill have to remember this post

nice job btw

~Matt
Old 05-28-2004, 08:41 AM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why not just use checkered ultracote? It comes in several different colors and sizes.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:06 AM
SilverEagle2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Because it does not come in any combinations I like and the size of squares I like. Other than that, it's a great idea.

Jason
Old 05-28-2004, 10:54 AM
RoughLandin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the replys, it looks like I will apply the squares after covering the wing with the base!

I have attached another post of mine that I feel is better suited for this thread.

"I think I will begin covering this weekend. The side profile design will be similar to my user icon (I found this pic somewhere, does anyone known what plane this is or where it came from? I'd like more info on it). I want this plane to have presence in the air and in the pits so the colors will be white, and florescent green with accents of silver. I have everything drawn up but I am still unsure about the bottom side of the wings. I was thinking of using white and florescent green in a checker board this may be too much, I don't want to induce epileptic seizures for spectators or other pilots. When I've been looking at the manufactured checkers they always seem too small or too big. Since I'll have to hand cut them I can customize the checker size to match the wing cord.

Suggestions needed:
What does everyone think for the bottom wing design? White and Florescent green or White and Sliver? Should I go with checkers or something else? Checkers seem to appear on Biplanes more often than stripes, and solid white seems too stark and Green too much."

Attached is a pic of the top and sides as I am currently leaning toward. Note the bottom design is not illustrated:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18818.gif
Views:	16
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	137268  
Old 05-28-2004, 11:22 AM
SilverEagle2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The last option that is easy, find a vinyl sign shop in your area that can cut sheets of the squares for you.

That way you get perfect alignment, size, and if your lucky a nice solid color with the ease of sticking them on. They have a wide veriety colors.

As far as colors for the checks, your lime green and white would be a nice contrast as opposed to silver and white. You want to make sure though that the top and bottom look entirely different because at altitude you want to know what is what.

Jason
Old 05-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Flightfreak777

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

could i cover the plane in monokote except for the bottom of the wing, and cover the bottom of the wing in the checkered ultracote? thats if they make it in the color i want... if not ill cut several insignia blue squares and place them on a pre coated yellow wing

[link=http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search]heres the design i want to do[/link]

~Matt