Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 60

Old 05-31-2004, 12:53 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tower Hobbies Uproar 60

I'm about to start building this kit. It will be my second kit; the first was a Great Planes PT-60 which turned out pretty good. This will not be my 'second plane' to fly. I had a Sig Astro Hog built last year and hope to be ready to fly it sometime this summer.

If anyone has built an Uproar, are there any tips or tricks I should know before I start? The instructions look pretty good; do they seem to be in the right order?

For power, I have a .61 two stroke and a .91 four stroke in the drawer; I was thinking I'd make that decision based on the weight it needs to balance. I will install throttle pushrod tubes for both engine types in the beginning.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:00 PM
PlagueWielder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Tower Hobbies Uproar 60

I have the Uproar 40, pretty much the same.
Anyway, make the rudder and elevators bigger. Make the ailerons so they are straight rectangles at the edge of the wing and add something like the GP Dazzler has on the body so it has more body area.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:07 PM
bojangle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Uproar is pretty simple to build. When I builid a new kit, I read the instructions all the way through a couple of times. Sometimes I change the order to suit my methods.

I install dual tubes also. Sure make it simple to change engines out. I like the GP adjustable engine mount, although sometimes it requires changing. If your .61 and .91 have the same bolt pattern, at least front to back, you'll be in great shape.

Bob
Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the fast replies.

Plaguewielder, why do you suggest changing the aileron shape? Is it for looks or function? On the fuselage mod, is the rounded turtledeck what you were referring to? That's to give it a taller profile for things like knife edge? Or is it mostly to make it so it doesn't just look like a flying box? I'm not an experienced builder, so a fuselage mod might be above my ability at this time.

Bob, I liked the GP mount that came with the PT-60 so I bought the same one for this plane. The engines do have the same 'front/back' bolt pattern, so it will be easy to make the engine decision late in the project.

It took me over 7 months to build the PT-60 and I expect this one will take at least as long.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:11 PM
PlagueWielder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The ailerons mod is just to increase the surface area.. you dont have to do it if you dont want to..

Thats exactly what I was reffering to. But if you say its above your ability then forget it or get help from someone experienced. Its not so much to make it look better, it should improve knife edge.

Im re-building mine right now because I crashed it and broke the wing in half so Im modding the hell out of it lol.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:21 AM
bojangle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Before drilling the holes in the firewall for the blind nuts, check the mount with both engines, to make sure the bolts won't interfere with the adjustability of the mount.

If you just want to change the looks, slap on a canopy.

Bob
Old 06-01-2004, 08:57 AM
East RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to get one of these to throw around in the air. They are cheap, basic and look like they could be pretty quick little planes with a good engine and pipe in the nose. For those of you that have the plane....how is it on the ground and in the air?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My annoyance with this kit? In today's easy-to-frame laser cut kits this kit is just too many sticks. Specifically I think it ridiculous with a simple kit to throw in a long block leading edge that must be shaped. Yuck. Why can't they just throw in a preformed LE? Would save an easy hour on this otherwise super easy build.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:37 PM
skier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 40 size was a really nice easy build. The plane flies nicely. The only problem I have with the plane is its side view, it gets very small very quickly.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey bud, Here's a few of the tips I got when I asked around.

1. To be "more" 3D capable you need to add some more size to the rudder,elevator. You also should extend the ailerons to the fuse. Just removing the taper on the inboard portion is what they are talking about.

2. Add a sheet or two more to the portion above and below the wing spar. If the 60 is the same as the 40 kit you will have four long thin pieces of balsa that you glue to the sides of the fuse. Add another sheet or two around the spar.

3. In the 40 kit I used the largest recommended fuel tank which then required me to remove some of the fire wall to get it to fit. The tank was a little long. I had two remove about .80".

4. Make sure you build a left and a right side to the fuse. I built two rights. OPPS

5. Sheet the wing out two the first rib to allow for more area to cover to when assembled. Do not put all the cap strips on until the wing is thru the fuse. Just have the first bay sheeted on each side.

6. My personal tip is two build it like an ARF. What I mean by that is two cover everything BEFORE you glue it together. It make covering MUCH MUCH easier. That way you can slide the fuse a little off to the right when you cover the left wing. It makes getting the seams nice a lot easier. I also would cover the bottom of the fuse first and then the sides at least before you slide the wing thru.

7. Consider mounting the engine sideways with the exhaust UNDER the plane. Just make sure you can run your throttle pushrod. In my case I used a cable for my throttle. It works great.

8. Everyone says to drill a large hole in the leading edge for the throttle but if you get a long drill bit you can drill it after you have slid the wing thru the fuse. Just make sure you measure to make sure the wing is centered before you drill.

Hope everything goes well with your build.
Dave
Old 06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll print the list and put it with the manual.

I started working on it yesterday evening. I have the stabilizer almost built. I think I might wear out the razor saw cutting all those sticks.

Here's my first construction photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22295.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	142442  
Old 06-13-2004, 01:47 AM
MOJO65-9or10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey bud heres a few pics to compare with. Just remember I built the "40" size uproar.

The EDIT= I just realized you can't see the horizontal ruler. Its a 6" ruler.

Name:	Qo39625.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	142549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80786.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	142550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15069.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	142551  
Old 07-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Bobsean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hope Your build is still going good Carrellh. About a 2 years ago I built the .40 sized version and i have been loving it ever since! The build was very easy and pretty much strait forward, and I included most of the mods that Dwmtl1000s posted exept for the control suface enlargements. So good luck on your uproar and i hope to see more Photos!

-bobsean-

Here are some pics of mine and a replacement canopy I built.

Name:	Om33949.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	153091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97613.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	153092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38277.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	153093  
Old 07-13-2004, 03:04 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bobsean, did you carve your canopy from a block of wood? The 60 version doesn't have a canopy at all and doesn't mention one. I think the canopy gives it something of a full scale look rather than looking like a 'box with wings'.

I started a new thread with some construction photos:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_s...1962877/tm.htm
The 4th photo shows the aileron over the plans. I made the angle by the fuselage 45 degrees rather than the really narrow angle shown on the plans. I did it for ease of assembly more than to increase aileron size.

I've completed the control surfaces and have the second wing to the point of putting on the cap strips. I'm planning to wait on shaping the leading edges until the wing center section is built and ready to install in the fuselage (which is not even started). I want to get the wing center section as close to the plan design as possible, then make the wing panels match it. I'll upload more photos pretty soon.

To everyone, thanks for the tips and the kind words. I'm really enjoying kit building so far.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Bobsean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good Carrellh! I had make my own canopy because I tried to paint the origonal plastic one and the paint ate it all up. After that happened I just flew it like the .60 version, with out the canopy, but it became to hard to figure out up from down when flying. The side profile of the plane from a distance was almost symetrical. To answeryour question about it, The canopy is half a sheeted frame and the front half is a carved balsa block. Then I covered it all in monokote which turned out to be the hardest part.
-bobsean-

Name:	Us54196.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	153597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18611.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	153598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65977.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	153599   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54307.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	153600  
Old 07-14-2004, 02:02 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like it! I have to try that on mine. Thanks for the photos. I wonder if I could build the back part from wood and find a plastic bottle the right shape to cutout the front part.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 AM
hb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the fuse is a pain to cover because of where the wing joins to the fuse
Old 08-19-2004, 01:38 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeppers,,,,The humanoid that designed the wing center section really must have spent alot of overtime on that project,,,,WHAT A PAIN!!,,,Here is a picture of one i built,also i just built another one.Just got it framed and about ready to cover but on that plane i redrew my own plans without the center section and a one peice wing with a larger rudder and elevator, also made the fuse taller.

Name:	Hf98909.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	165493  
Old 08-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Bobsean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a really sharp plane Slade_LoD. I like the covering job and is that a turtle deck I see! If so could you explain what you did with it.
-bobsean-
Old 08-20-2004, 07:28 AM
SilverEagleBW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,Yep,that's a turtle deck,heck i even have a canopy for it to!hehe,and also one for the other Uproar i just built,that plane has a body more like an Extra 300,looks pretty cool so far.I made some formers from 1/8 inch balsa,wet down some 1/32 and bent it to fit.The back piece on the fin and rudder is a solid peice of shaped balsa.This picture does not do the plane justice,when i get done building these 14 or more planes i am working on i will post some pictures.I made the flames in Coreldraw and cut them on my vinyl plotter,i even have flames on the sides,kinda tricky to apply on the wing but it came out ok.Hey you outa see my spad Gnat,it is yellow with purple holographic flames,lol,looks like i am hooked on flames,all my planes have them,even my glider,Lmao!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Bobsean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah man! sounds great. What other kind of projects are you working on? I just ordered an OMP 47" Yak that will arrive soon. Anyways, can't wait to see more pictures!
-bobsean-
Old 08-21-2004, 11:02 AM
SilverEagleBW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Other projects?Who Me?lol...Ok Bob,,,Here is the list.LMAO!
Treehopper
1/4 Citabria
2-Uproar 60's
2-D&L Designs Edge 540's,28%
Senior Kadet,,,,FROM HELL,,Wait till you see this puppy,here we go transparent purple and transparent yellow,with flames of course!hehe!
Ultra Hots,Ryobi powered!! WOAH!
1/4 Ultimate
28%Ultimate
46%Ultimate
Oh there will be a few more,,just gimmie a few more days,,,So little time,,So many PLANES!hehe!I need to open an airplane factory!
Oh Yeah! almost forgot,,,,the Great Planes 1/3 Extra 330L,,,Gonna order it in a few days.