Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

MIDWEST SS - I NEED A FAVOUR !!!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MIDWEST SS - I NEED A FAVOUR !!!!!

I want to order some carbon fiber landing gear for a Midwest Super Stinker I'm building. My problem is that the plane is 2500 miles away from where I am right now and I need the measurements of the gear. Height of gear, width of fuse and tread width. Is there someone out there that can give me the info ?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:27 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MIDWEST SS - I NEED A FAVOUR !!!!!

Don--I have the gear right here in front of me-- they are two piece...First I need clarification--are you talking about a SUPER STINKER?? Or are you talking about the Stearmen?? I have the super Stinker gear....they are two piece and bolt into the fuselage in each side with two bolts each...The gear width on each face taper from 3/4 inch on the axle end(bottom) to 1 3/8 inch on the top(fuselage end) There are two bends in each of the gear legs....the first vertical leg at the axle end is 1 1/2 inches long...the center section is 7 inches llong..the top leg is 2 1/2 inches long...Each of the gear legs has a 7 1/2 inch width or offset looking at it on edge....Now if you stand the leg up the heigth to the second bend which is located at the edge of the fuse is 7 inches tall...the top end would be 7 1/2 inches tall (the end that is near center of fuselage....hope this helps...of course if you are talking bout the Stearman they willl be completely useless......if I can help you any more e-mail me...Bob
Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ooops good --see it is the Super Stinker you were interested in...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20631.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	139597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92330.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	139598  
Old 06-06-2004, 04:24 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes this is the plane I have. I want to replace the supplied gear with CF to save some weight and I don't like all that hassle to install the 2 piece gear. What I need is the width of the fuse (at the LG) the height of the gear (less wheels) and the tread width (less wheels). I know I'll never match it exactly (no one makes a specific gear for the SS) but I can come close.

Thanks ......................