Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

powering a SUPER HOTS????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

powering a SUPER HOTS????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:21 AM
East RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powering a SUPER HOTS????

Have any of the Hots pilots here ever used a 4-stroke on a super? If so what size did you use and how could you compare it to the recommended .60-.90 2-stroke. I'm considering the .60 with a tuned pipe...but would that be sufficient for unlimited vertical and such?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Chris
Old 06-10-2004, 08:50 PM
phread59

Default RE: powering a SUPER HOTS????

I think a 150 size 4 stroker would do it for you. A 120 would fly it well but I feel the verticle would not be what you want.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
My Super Hots 54" version weighed a little over 6 pounds with a Thunder Tiger .61. I ran a 12x6 prop. When the engine ran well it would haul it straight up slowing just at an uncomfortable height. But that was usually with a "running start" into the vertical. It would have been not 3D capable if that is what you are asking. IMO A larger engine with a larger prop would give you ground clearance problems as my 12 inch prop was marginal in that department. You would need taller landing gear to go with a longer prop......do-able, just another consideration for you.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 AM
East RC

I appreciate the help guys. I have .60 O.S. Max with a tuned pipe that is tuned for torque.......so, this engine will give me good vertical? I more or less want to fly this plane for fun, not so much 3-D. I really haven't gotten into 3-D yet...I'm thinking of getting either a profile extra or maybe a .60 size Edge or the larger Katana to learn a few of these maneuvers.

By the way....since I'm not gonna be using the Hots for 3-D, is it really that imperative that I build the cowl. I dig the way it looks without the cowl, personally ( except for my Fokker D-7, I have always left cowls off and removed cowl cheeks, whenever possible )