Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

"Second Plane" build Under Way (4 Star 120)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

"Second Plane" build Under Way (4 Star 120)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Cappy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Second Plane" build Under Way (4 Star 120)

Hi all

Well, started building my 4*120!! Can't wait to fly it!!! The way it's going so far, I should have it done in about 2-3 weeks. This is only my second RC plane....but it the first RC kit. I used to build control-line planes out the wazoo......but the last one was 15 years ago. I took to pitloting RC planes very naturally so after only 3 weks with my trainer.....and at the suggestion of EVERONE in my club, it's definately time to move up. And bigger is better . I decided to build a kit because this way it will give me a bit more behind the sticks of my trainer, plus it gives me something to do at home . I always enjoyed building.....watching one twig turn into and amazing machine that defies gravity.....created by your own hands Jut started a bit ago and I so far I have the left wing half completed. So far it's a piece of cake. The only problem I may have is covering it. I never used an iron on film. I'm from the "old school" when the majority of people used to either silkspan or tissue the plane and then dope it a million times. A bunch of club guys said they would help if needed and one said they would give me an iron to keep. So far it isn't much different than I remember, other tha the fact that there are a LOT more sticks.....and there bigger But it all came back to me......like riding a bicycle. Since this is my first RC kit venture, I REALLY want it to turn out nice and I will be definately flying the heck out of it. I do also have a few mods in the works for it.....nothing drastic.....just some improvements, whick most of them are common knowledge for the 4* series.

1. Wings shortened 1 bay
2. Rounded/shaped wingtips
3. Modified canopy
4. Sheeted turtledeck for looks and strength
6. Carbon fiber tape reinforcement in the wing structure
7. Enlarged and reshaped fin and rudder.
8. Reinforced landing gear mount area
8 Beefed up wing mounting dowel support
9. Beefed up wing mounting dowel sockets
10 Beefed up wing hold down blocks with more strenght added in the wing location also
11 Sullivan schock absorbing tail wheel assembly
12 Robart hinge points insted of the included CA hinges
13 Reinforced wing shoulder on the fuse.
14. Beefed up firewall
15. Will also be putting whellpants on this ( and hopefully some sort of cowl )
16. Plus who knows what else

I know That some of theis, I'm sure, is not necessary........but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to building....even if it adss a bit of extra weight , besides, the motor I will be putting in this is a bit overpowered anyway (ST G2300 - 23 cc's, 3.7 HP)

So far I have really enjoyed myself. Hopefully this will rekindle the fun I had many years ago. Anyone can slap an ARF together....but I think you are missing out on 50% of the total experience.

OK gotta run....the plane is calling me

Adam
Old 06-08-2004, 10:52 AM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: "Second Plane" build Under Way (4 Star 120)

have fun!

st 3000
19x8 wide APC @7500 rpms
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97220.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	141029  
Old 06-22-2004, 01:30 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

could I borrow your plans to copy them? I would like to build this. thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Cappy69

I think I answered you're other post . I' not quite done with them....but I should be in about a week or so. I could send them to you if you like. One heads up....they are a bit beat up, but totally useable for an acurate build .If you like also...I could copy the build manual also and email it to you ( If that is legal ) to help you in your build. Let me know....either PM or email me....I check both frequently.

Adam [8D]
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Your building a plane, not a tank, been flying a 4*120 that is stock except for 1" added to rudder, and canopy modified for more modern look. Keep the tail light as this model will tend to be tail heavy if one is not careful and builds her like a tank.