Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Talon build

Old 06-09-2004, 12:38 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dynaflite Talon build

Just to add to the RCU database, I thought I would post this build.

Anyway after completing the Kougar, Danny Joe (Boo) My 4 year old Wants his plane built.

First off I bought it through RCU, had a good deal with the seller and all went well (thank's RCU Market and the Seller)

I'm not goig into sub-componet assembly just the major componets, so this first post will be of the rough and ready fuse completion.

All went well with the basic build and layout of the fuse, though the manual is pretty good and folowing it was straight forward, the curves formed by the fuse sheeting are a bit tough to keep aligned but not a major prob. just chech & re-check before gluing.
I found that aligning the upper sides with the formers / blkhds were critical. As well as keeping the fuse middle flat on the table as required when installing the blkhds.

I stuck a t-pin through the fuse sides flush with the front of blkhd#3 out each side so I had a tiny hole for an exact ref to where the cut ot was going to be.

So far so good, Boo learned a little more about building and sweeping up balsadust.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75358.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	141281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25859.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	141282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74423.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	141283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80398.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	141284  
Old 06-09-2004, 05:12 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dynaflite Talon build

I built one of these models many years ago. I never got around to finishing it, and I can't find it. It's too bad because I have a video of one of these flying and it looks very smooth yet responsive.

John
Old 06-09-2004, 06:22 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John

I too have seen them when I lived in Ca. but the closest I came to the Talon is probably building the Ridge Rat, another good flyer.

From the reviews on the Talon I read by users, it seems all are happy with performance and mixed on construction and weaknesses.

So far this kit has been easy going and only a few minor descrepancies, Blkhd 5 being shorter and attaching the upper sides while pinned down or not.

Look for Yours and get er' up" I feel it would be worth it.

Any and all tips appreciated in advance'

Fuse cutout completed, I followed the suggested marking method but I replaced the marker with my xacto knife to make the cut, the block held it secure and paralell.

Wing"
Peoblem on the get go, the 5/16" X 1 1/4" X 24" T E stock was actually not tapered, although it has guide markes on the ends where it should have been.
No biggie though, just a lot of sanding or a trip to the LHS.

NOTE" if you have the older plan and manual as I do, BE SURE to check the online manual from Dynaflite. There is a good deal more info in the online version, and better views of the tail set-up and TE steps.

Name:	Lj22228.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	141487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85951.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	141488  
Old 06-10-2004, 11:07 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Myself and two friends did a marathon build one weekend. We started at 6:00am on Saturday and flew them Sunday morning. I was using the micro servos from Futaba back then. They look like large mini servos now. The one I built was almost 5 oz lighter then the other two because they were running full sized gear. The only problem I had was it had a need for some diff. in the alierons. I had to come up with some spring loaded linkage to keep the alierons from dropping more then about 1/8 inch. They were fun to fly and easy to build. They were covered in 21st century film so the covering was the lightest at that time. The semi-wing did not have a problem while inverted. There were a bunch of them out there with V tails. There was one that had flaps and brakes. It flew pretty good even with the extra weight.

Dru.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:51 AM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank's for the info Dru
I remember the so-called mini servos and todays stuff totally amaze me. We flew in the high desert areas, big bear and salinas and taft. back then it was no sleep till it was ready to fly for the wekend, I will keep this one as light as possible, and go with the standard tail config. Happy Flyin
Old 06-11-2004, 09:33 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1st Wing half went smooth after I compared the two manuals, the pdf online and the older one I have. I decided to mod the ailerons from TE stock and capping the front edge with square, added a little strength and allows for the hinging of the TE and square stock. Then once sanded to shape the ailerons can be glued to the square stock in alignment, I chose this route to aid in hinge installation.

This has been a nice kit as usaul with Dynaflite and I actually have very luttle time in it, between 5-6 hrs.

Name:	Xv64064.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	142253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50650.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	142254  
Old 06-11-2004, 10:31 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the ways I saved some weight on my old one was to use a hole saw and cut holes along the alieron stock that came in the kit. The wood that the alierons were made from looked like the hard, heavy, stringy balsa that the old Guillows kits had.

Does the newer kits do the alierons in a different way??

Dru.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:18 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They give you rectangular T E stock now, (see pick above and maybe the kit mfg support forum where I asked about it)
that yuo are to plane n sand to shape. I think they are after a little beef_up doing it that way, the newer manual shows a little thicker T E / aileron shape then the one I have.

Anyway I plan to air-out the ailerons as well as the tips (ones done), I want to keep it as light as possible because I want to glass inside the compartment for the saddle and a portion of the fuse.

Instead of holes on the ailerons I opted for a differant appraoch, the left side will have Fly RC (dynaflite wont fit)

I found the stock aileron control wires to be way tpp large and heavy, I bent my own from smaller threaded rods. one LE was much heavier than the other too and a bit harder, I also changed it out.

Name:	Ca81084.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	142299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19558.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	142300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89848.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	142301  
Old 06-12-2004, 09:40 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It has been a while, but I just remember that it had a sub trailing edge where the ribs glued to that was something like 1/4X1/4 balsa then it was the shaped trailing edge that weighed almost as much as the wing panel. I like the cut outs in the wing sheeting.

The top of the fuse where you cut it from the rest to make the wing saddle and hatch, I had alittle warping after I covered it, I used some 1/64 ply to hold it in shape. The glass should do a good job too.

If I had a hill to fly from any where near me I would get another one and see if I could do a better job this time.

Dru.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:00 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a Sub T E thats only 1/8 X 3/8 X 24 to form the rear of the panel, and to hold the ribs, hinges etc.
I could have shaped the one piece T E to taper, but by using the two piece method I used lighter wood and installing the hinges was a bit easier.

If I had a hill to fly from any where near me I would get another one and see if I could do a better job this time.
Instead of Base-Jumping how about Base-soaring Theres allways a way (thats what I used to think years ago)
Old 06-12-2004, 06:16 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the best hill around is almost 80 miles each way. The cost of flying there is just nuts. I used to belong to the club but the politics and city were just to much. The hills I do have close are facing the wrong direction. The winds blow from the top to the bottom so it is hard to get any lift.

Dru.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:09 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Allthough its not taken much time to build to this stage, getting the time to work on has been a problem.

The wings, ailerons and fuse/hatch assemblies are ready for final sanding and skins. The fit for the hatch to wing should be done in slow steps, getting a good fit is not hard but requires a good deal of attention. The Sub Trailing Edge (STE) is only 1/8 inch thick, attatching the hinges to it after covering the two-peice aleron(s) will require sme additional support. IMO

Name:	Mk27297.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	144064  
Old 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you fit blocks where you plan to put the hinges??? I have even used the expanding foam to fill an area so as to give the hinges a little more support. How about some baking soda and Ca??

Dru.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:37 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking of bending the inward portion of the hinges up against the STE and aplying drops of CA, but I may use your mention of blocks and cut from 1/4" sq. soft and slot. It seems like the weight to the rear is already adding up, will check it though.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:53 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another negative is the size of the tail control wire and horn for the horz-stab, huge for such a light soarer. the aileron controls were also too large, so I opted to make new ones. There plenty strong and much smaller than the stock ones, wonder if all the kits come with those larger controls?

Name:	Sp45354.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	144152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36373.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	144153  
Old 06-17-2004, 09:51 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what I remember they look as if they would work on a .40 sized glow plane. Just watch how much throw you give he stabilator, it can be mighty twichy.

Dru.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:37 AM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will keep the throws at a minimal amount, I may be tempted to let the boys try it out too.

Ready for the covering and final assembly, a tad bit more fitting and sanding once I get the lines all zero'ed in.
Still havent dicided on colors yet, but Danny Joe likes orange so I have to fit it into the scheme somehow.

Name:	Rp43809.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	144512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13976.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	144513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74405.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	144514  
Old 06-20-2004, 01:06 AM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The covering went pretty smooth for a small plane, and now Danny Joe can see his actual plane instead of just sticks. I think I prefer the Gentle lady, Wanderer or Sail Aire's as far as building, but this one was for him.

Actualy it was a fairly simple build, and with the online manual most instructions were straight forward. The fuse had enough strength I chose not to re-inforce it with glass, but I did add some glass tape to the inside around wing bolt block and each side under the wing saddle.

Wings seem well designed and seem strong enough for the size and weight, but I did use the smaller control wires for ailerons.

Name:	Xv65753.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	145157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13881.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	145158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71810.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	145159  
Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good. When do we get a flight report???? What servos are you using?? What is the all up weight of the Talon???

Dru.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:47 PM
WORNBOOTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dru' I am planning on using my older Hitec system with HS 101 servos (installing tonight) Flite reports will be awhile, as I live in Taxas now and will have to also be creative.

Also thank's for being interested in the build, will let ya know"
Old 06-20-2004, 10:27 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I have 1 or 2 of those old 101's. To save a little weight try to find some AAAnimh cells. I am using them in several planes now and they are lighter then nicds and last longer.

Dru.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Solutionxl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,
Somebody who crash one of my sailplanes give me a Talon (Dynaflite), I could read manual instructions from dynaflite web but I hasn't the plan sheet, somebody can send me a scanned plan (1:1)??? (first scan fuselage, second T tail, after a wing... you know, isn't it? Please send me, I desire to fly it.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PLease send an email to this address, and you can order plans:

airsupport@greatplanes.com