Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

need a quick question answered fast..

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

need a quick question answered fast..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 AM
rs4driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a quick question answered fast..

i have had my 1/6 scale sig piper j-3 cub built for awhile, i hit a lack of funds so it has been hanging from the ceiling untouched for awhile now, well i decided to get back to work on it (main building is all done) and i was placing all the servos and hooking up all the controls, and i came to the ailerons (spelling?) and there are controlled by a single servo, i just wanted to make sure that this is the way it is supposed to be working, when i move the control one way, one aileron goes up, and the other goes down, and when i move the stick the other way there opposite, i figured this was for turns and whatnot, but for some reason i have a wierd feeling about it, just let me know if i have everything correct.

ehh... yes.. i probly just made myself out to sound like an idiot, but im running on very few hours of sleep and its real early in the morning [&o]
Old 06-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: need a quick question answered fast..

You got it right. To produce a roll one aileron goes up and the other goes down, just make sure they are moving the right way. When you move the stick to the left, the left aileron should go up and the right one go down and vice-versa for right roll.Good luck,

Bill.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:59 AM
rs4driver

ahhh, thank you for clarifying that!!!, i really need to think about getting some sleep, LOL
Old 06-10-2004, 09:43 AM
East RC

Have you flown planes with only rudder, throttle and elevator in the past? Just curious....it's how I started. My first plane with ailerons was the same J-3 you are building. Be sure and share some pics of the new bird here on the forum.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:31 AM
rs4driver

heres a couple pics i just snapped real quick, if you wanna see something in paticular, let me know, i have all the main building done, all thats done left is mount the engine and carve the cowl, glue in the windows, cover it, fine tune the servos, put on the wheels and collars, nothing really major, just all those fun finishing touches, i'll be sure to add some more pics as i progress if your interested

the last picture is with it sitting on my other baby and the nissan in the background
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95019.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	141750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86536.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	141751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39234.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	141752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86403.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	141753  
Old 06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Flightfreak777

in a left turn the left goes up and the right down. you would think it would be the opposite but when one goes down it acts as a flap increasing the camber of the wing creating more lift (bringing that end into the air) so the other one must do the opposite.

~Matt
Old 06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
althepal

NIce Cub

By looking at the pictures, I see that you have no dihedra, that is an angle between the wings, seen from front, but an anhedra! I suppose the plane is not completely finished and the wings were not properlu fitted to the fuselage. However, with THIS model, you have to be very carefull as to how you set up the struts to have a little dihedra, otherwise it will be a bear to fly and would be rekitted in no time.
In the meantime, this SIG CUB is one of the most scale that there is.
What engine you plan for this bird?
Keep the covering light, this will be a rewarding plane once finished
Good luck
Al
Old 06-10-2004, 01:51 PM
rs4driver

the wings arent attatched in the pics, just set on there for the pictures, the struts arent screwed in either, i have a brat .28 engine im gonna put in it, i know it sounds small, but i like to keep my planes light as possible., you seem to know a good amount about this dihedral (spelling?) what should i have it set at? i have never really messed with that before, just gimme some tips or what they should look like..

thanks.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Flightfreak777

ya know.. i was looking at some electric cub and im not sure if there is one... lol im sure there is and i cant see it but if there is its gotta be what 2-3 degrees? if that? i duno heres the pic i used as a referenc

http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo.../Cub_front.jpg

~Matt
Old 06-10-2004, 07:46 PM
phread59

Cubs have very little dihedral. I am sure when you joined them they are set at about the angle you need. All looks well. I just wonder about the Brat though. I have heard a lot of mixed bag about them. Good lord I havn't seen one of them in over 8 years. I hope it works well for you. Be sure it is reliable before you fly it. Good luck.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-10-2004, 09:55 PM
rs4driver

i like the old brats, for some reason i always try to use the older engines, i have had good luck with them, i got a couple sitting around still brand new in the box
Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

which cub kit is that? Looks a little big for a .28 engine. hard to tell from the pic though.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:50 AM
althepal

From what I know, Cubs have about 1 to 2 degree dihedra! Does not seem much, and is almost unnoticeable. BUT it increases stability. The best thing to do is to take reference from your plan.
Back in the 70's, my father did build the Sig cub 1/6, full wingspan. Very nice plane, well build, covered with silk. He did have a Enya .25 or something like that ( we used cc) that thing never went of the ground...was waving left to right, never made it. Back to te shop, installed an OS .35
problems to track straight...decided to hand launch it...crashed after 50 yards! Must have had a problem with cg? we will never know. Friend of ours had one too, with a .40 engine, and it flew perfectly! Go figure it!
So, check that dihedra, and make sure you have an engine that can get you of trouble too.
How do you plan to make the fake cylinders heads for the engine cowl?
Keep us informed
Al
Old 06-11-2004, 04:24 PM
rs4driver

this is the 1/6 scale, its meant for engines .19-.35, its an extremely light plane, so im pretty confident the .28 will be fine, if its not, i'll just throw a bigger one in it, as for the fake cylinder heads and all that, im good at carving wood and everything, so im thinking about just getting a nice balsa block and looking at some real pics of the cubs engine, and carve it out, then paint it the correct colors.