Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering material - the good and the not so good

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering material - the good and the not so good

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering material - the good and the not so good

Coverite and SolorTex

Coverite is heavy compared to SolarTex. Coverite is thicker than Solartex. Coverite REQUIRES that the airframe be coated with Balsarite or something similar.

I used Coverite ONCE - never again. I stripped the plane (40 - 60 size) and recovered with Solartex after getting all the crud off the airframe. The plane was about 3 1/2 - 4 oz LIGHTER.

SolarTex does not require anything additional to get it to adhere to the airframe. The colors are fuel proof, HOWEVER, I do give it a coat of water base poly to seal the weave so the junk doesn't work its way in.

SolarTex is a LOW HEAT fabric covering that rarely requires reshrinking. Since it is thinner than Coverite, any overlap seams are much less noticeable, yet it is just as strong.

SolarTex is an excellent covering for someone inexperienced in covering. It handles wingtips VERY WELL, shrinks nicely, and is basically a joy to use.

One thing you need to be aware of: The shrink is temperature controlled. You want to get it put on as tight as possible, then use minimal heat to shrink it. IF YOU NEED TO RESHRINK IT, you will need to use a higher heat (MOST low temp coverings are like this though).
Old 06-16-2004, 01:00 PM
JimTrainor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used monokote recently. I set the iron temperature to that stated in the instructions that are included with the package. Didn't have any problems. Some rather huge wrinkles shrunk away easily.

Don't know abotu the other stuff. I haven't tried it yet. I can tell something abuot koverall and dope [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-16-2004, 10:47 PM
bojangle

I can't resist responding to this post.

You should contact Top Flite, GP, Tower, ??, you need a prospectus to see who owns what these days, anyway, just tell them that "Monokote Sucks". When they ask for technical details of your evaluation such as controlled laboratory tests, comparative coefficients of thermal reduction, field durability analysis, etc, just keep saying "Monokote Sucks".

I'm glad your life has been made easier. The more I think about it, I'm glad Monokote is so hard to work with, it makes the challenge much greater. Without challenges, a hobby has little purpose.

Bob
Old 06-17-2004, 05:03 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

I've used Coverite film, SuperCoverite, Blackbaron and 21st Century Cloth and none of them require balsarite of stixit. Many times I will use balsarite near a seam to ensure that it will hold at speed. I like Black baron but it is a little heavy and tears easily if punctured. 21st Century cloth is a little thick and less flexable. Coverite film is similar to MK but I find it easier to handle. Supercoverite is great but does require painting, not to fuelproof but for appearance...just like a real plane.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:59 PM
photoniq

Are there any disadvantages to SolarTex that lead people to use other coverings? From what I have read it seems to be the best - it can be painted even right?

Oh for the brits, this Oracover stuff the yanks are talking about is called profilm in the uk. Orastick is protrim. Hope that helped someone..

photoniq.

ps is solartex the best bet for making a scale ww1 fighter?