Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

hi
i am starting this plane and is it me or does the wood not fit the plans,is there anything else i should know before i move on thanks rye
Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Goldberg Anniversary Edition Piper Cub

I remember back in th' day this was a really good kit. Over the years I've probably built
about 30 of them. The last 2 I bought from Tower Hobbies really SUCKED. The wood was super
soft in areas that it should have not been. The aileron stock was the wrong size. The tail feathers
were no where close to matching the plan. That so called laser cutting leaves alot to be desired.
After all that said if you can get through the build you will have a good flying plane. I don't know
what's going on at Tower, the only thing that comes to mind is they have someone  packing the kits
that has never built a kit. From now on if I want a cub that size I will be getting the sig kit. Carl Goldberg
is probably rolling over in his grave.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 PM
rye

yea ,i just call tower today and told them about there really bad kit that i have here ,its like nothings right i have to fit all the peices nothing lines up i just did a tiger -60 and it was one of the easyes kit i ever done looks like G-P got the rights on this kit and the china boys did a bad job on cutting it and used rubber wood, boy when i we ever going to learn that china stuff sinks
Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rye- two main things to consider during the build are as follows. The wingtips could use sheeting on the bottom so that if you drag a wingtip on asphalt the covering won't get 'cut' loose there. Flying off grass not as big of a problem. Add a rear 'leg' to the landing gear struts. They gradually bend and while it's no biggie to just take them off and put them back on 'reverse' the extra gear leg gets rid of problem in first place. Plus, you can make a more permanent fairing for the LG struts if you add the rear leg! Those 'clip-on' fairing are weak. Now, for just plain ol' making the Cub a little nicer you can reduce the aileron span to scale length and it'll fly just fine. The stab/ elevators are too big and can be easily reduced in size by checking against a good 3-view. You can even use the wood supplied in the kit to make this modification! For grins, put a pull-pull set up on rudder. The strut attachments are a little lame. The struts aren't needed for support in this kit but Cubs don't look good without them. I'd make them bolt onto the wings and maybe even use hinges so they fold flat when wing off fuselage. The 'jury' struts can even be hinged onto the struts. The wing would receive the jury strut ends when main struts set up. Look at the Cub Brotherhood thread in the scale forum here for more info. I hope you put a build on here so we can see the Cub take shape!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM
rye

i waiting for tower to return my call i may send it back and get the sig cub i hear its the cats meow, i have done scatch build before and i dont need to fit this as i go i dont enjoy that in building from now on its sig or balsa usa kits for me sad news is they dont have that many kits i like ,thanks rye
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM
dadragon

HELLo I got one I built 15 yrs ago,got out of the glow crap and put it on a 20 ft pole and it became a weather vane,still looks good even with the birds nesting wear the pilot use to sit,I love that plane.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 PM
rye

love it
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Arup has good tips there.
The wing on the CG Cub is super strong. I crashed mine (battery low), the front of the fuse was gone but the wing was fine so I kept it. A couple years later I was moving and had no use for the wing, so tried to break it over my knee. After about 6 hard tries, it was useless. I wound up putting it between a door and jamb and pushing as hard as I could. Even then, it took a lot of effort.

It was amazingly strong!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is the strongest Cub I have ever built, very over engineered but designed to last. When it was still Goldberg the worst thing I ran into with the kit was getting a late run before they got new dies but the parts all fit. So far I haven't gotten to build one sense Great Planes has the rights to them when they bought out Lanier. I would have thought GP would have improved on the cutting, not made it worse?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

I have built a lot of these too, it is a good design, flies great and can take a wide range of engines (40 to 70). I have flown many off floats and modified a few. As with most kits, some more than others, I never worried to much about exact parts fit, just make small adjustments as needed. Here is one I have that has been a little modified, two ST 40's which is overpowered, probably should have used 25's.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49668.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1832716  
Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dadragon

HELLo I got one I built 15 yrs ago,got out of the glow crap and put it on a 20 ft pole and it became a weather vane,still looks good even with the birds nesting wear the pilot use to sit,I love that plane.
'Glow crap'? That's harsh! I feel the same way about electric but don't say so in posts... The weather vane idea is too funny!
Rye- I have a SIG Cub build on RCSB site. Have a look. It's in 'other kits' forum. I am converting a Cub into a Super Cruiser.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

GLOW CRAP????????? IVE HAD RUBBER BAND PLANES CONTROL PLANES>>> GLOW ONE ELECTRIC GAS ONE TURBINE>> EVERYTHING IS FINE IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOURDOING BENN FLYING SINCE 1947> NOW IAM 80 AND STILL GOING STRONG
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM
rye

What's the Web address for rcsb
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every time I see Ron post that twin fuse Cub I just love it. An all time favorite.
Glow crap?? Don't over think it. I call them a snotty mess myself but still use them. I really like the weather vane idea. If I ever move back to the country I will try to remember that. I'm sure the HOA here would have a fit if I made a weather vane in the front yard, well, front gravel, we aren't allowed yards or grass here. Sure makes upkeep for me a lot easier then mowing 5 acres of fire break every year. The wind almost always blows from the east too. Can't help itself, it follows the city streets.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM
dadragon

RYE;that is RCSCALEBUILDERS.COM you have to become a site supporter to get into their forum($20.00) a year..GrayBeard;the wind never stops here 5 to 40 mph depending on what time year,winter west and north,summer south and east and I'm about 6100 alt.closest living neighbor a mile and a half away,nothing but bare farm land,dont mean to rub it in.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Glow crap? In comparison to electric, my glow planes perform better as the flight progresses, since the plane gets lighter + the motor has the same output throughout the flight. No cool-down needed between flights either. 

$20/year seems steep. What makes it worth the $?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi rye

an opinion here...don't buy the hazel sig clipped wing cub. worst flying plane I have
ever had, TERRIBLE!!!
I have been in hobby since late '50's and have built many, many airplanes.
if interested in as arf I think it is horizon hobbies has one and I have seen several
of these in our club and they are great flyers. thinks it is about 80 inch span

good luck with what ever you choose.

pt19 flyer

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
dadragon

on the GB cub it did not NEED the wing struts they were just for looks,that was a very strong wing set up.