Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Jerry's Little Boy info

Old 06-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Lynn1953

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jerry's Little Boy info

Anyone had any experience with building this kit? It's a stck design - it should fly well, but I am more interested in how the quality of the kit is compared to others? Is it hard to build - meaning does the parts fit or do I get to become one with the sandpaper?
Old 11-26-2009, 10:57 AM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Jerry's Little Boy info

I am in the market for the plans or even a kit if I can find one. Any one know where I can locate one of these?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of my flying buddies is building a Jerry's Big Boy and it is great. He had one prior that was lost to a dumb thumb moment and it flew excelent.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:30 AM
SU29

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, I had the little boy and sold it[] I have a YS 63 and it is looking for a home so I would like to acquire another little boy.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built a Little Boy this spring, and it has become my "go to" airplane all summer. I built it from a short kit and put in one servo per aileron. I didn't make any changes to the construction, except to beef up the landing gear mount because I fly off grass with the occasional sage rat hole that most of us can find without trying. I used an OS .46SF up front, and originally had to add 12 ounces of lead to bring the CG forward to where the plans say. Little by little, I removed the lead entirely, and it's a very fun plane to fly. I had too much aileron dialed in for the first flights but after reducing the throw a little, together with expo, it's just where I want it. Slooooowww rolls, fast rolls, knife edge, rolling circles, inverted with little/no down elevator, etc. It's just a lot of fun to fly. Covered mine in ultracote transparent. With its unique airfoil, each rib needs to have the covering ironed on. I fly at 3500 ft, and the .46 is plenty of engine. Landings are superb and I can touch down tail wheel first and with a little throttle management, keep the mains just off the ground until I'm ready to let them drop. Easy to build, and I think you'll like it. Lee
Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
SU29

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lee,

I agree, this plane is a blast to fly. I sold mine with the plans and a year later bought it back however the guy I sold it to could not find the plans. The plane was abused, I flew it for about 6 months after making several repairs and then sold it again[>:]. Now, I'm in hot pursuit to find another one.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
leatherman391

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Jerrys little boy kit, complete with prints, all is there as far as i can see ,85.00 plus 10.00 shipping Let me know if you are interested Karl
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM
OzMo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
Well I fly with SU29 and have been oogling the Jerrys Little and Big boys. I crashed my ultra stick 60 and decided to not fix it (again).
So I blew up a little boy plans to about the same specs as the old Ultra stick 60 so I could reuse the motor etc.
Anyone have any set up tips?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM
R/C Lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OzMo, I have been flying my Little Boy for two years or more now. I have a Saito .72 up front and it is a dream to fly. When you initially set up the CG, you might think it a little too far to the rear as shown on the plans. On my first flights I added lead to move it forward, only to take it all out in later flights as I got used to the airplane. When rolling, it tends to drag one wing or the other unless you use differential ailerons which will give you perfect rolls. The aileron throws are whatever you want; the more aileron throw, the faster the roll. I suggest that you beef up the horizontal stab or brace it to the fuse/fin/etc. On mine, after a lot of flights I noticed that the perfectly selected (I thought) leading edge stock I used for the stab had cracked on both left and right sides about equidistant from the center. There's a lot of force on the stab right there, so reinforce and brace. It does excellent rolling circles, is happy right-side up or upside down, and slows to a crawl on landing, allowing me to drag the tail wheel first. Looks really cool. I would not make any changes to the airframe otherwise, although it might be fun to build a larger version and see what that one would fly like. Good luck; I know you'll like it. Lee
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
OzMo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

R/C Lee,
Thanks for the heads up on the H stab. I bieleve I can find some carbon fiber about to beef that up without adding much weight.
I think I will make a little box for lead shot along the inside bottom of the firewall so I can adjust the weight/ CG.
I will be using a 2 cycle Webra speed 60 that was on my previous 60 size stick. I really love it's throttle response. And it not heavy.

Ozmo