Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

MICK REEVES SUPER REAPER BUILDING

Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MICK REEVES SUPER REAPER BUILDING

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Salmonbug,

I am familiar with the BT Delta Vortex. BT kits are about as good as it gets for quality. Your first choice for the Reaction 54... well, just let me say that it is one sweet looking airframe. I had a chance to see the proto at the Toledo trade show.... very nice.
I am also a Bruce tharpe fan

I have a twin engine super flying king in the hoven (that's a BIG bird) and also a deposit on the very first reaction kit. Bruce promised me the number 2
Old 06-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very good !!!

The Reaction is down the road a bit, so back to the Reaper build. Where the fuse sides come together at the nose, if you will go ahead and wet the fuse sides with a 50/50 mix of ammonia & water starting at the the front bulkhead... pull the fuse sides together at the nose and secure with several wraps of tape. Once the sides dry and you remove the tape, the sides will have sort of formed them-self. This will help aid in gluing the nose without the tendency of the sides wanting to spring apart.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:55 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well
Yesterday evening I was on the way to join the nose section. everithing was ready held in place on the building board, but I changed my mind about the retract setup. I didn't close the nose section because I duno yet if I will keep the nose gear suport former or not. So I leave the nose section open for now and will work on some subassemblies (canard and rudders).
I won't go with a robart retract system, I prefer the spring air units, plumbing is divided by two and the fail safe concept is nice in my opinion.

reeves has a unit for sale on his site working similar than the springair
Old 06-21-2004, 04:35 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

landing gear is on order

here are pics showing canard building and balancing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21867.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	145918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92724.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	145919  
Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

countryboy, please could you post a pic of your wingtip, just to see if I arrive to the same setup than your.
I think I have selected to good parts out of the box, but due to the lack of instructions I prefer to have a crosscheck.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Salmonbug,

Here is the pic you requested. I actually had not made it to that point of construction, so I did a quick mock-up. The bare foam on the tip should first be capped with balsa sheet & sanded to contour. The fixed balsa block at the leading edge should have it's trailing edge contoured so that the ply tip that accept's the counter balance weight pivots within that contour.

If you can't figure it out from this pic, just ask & I will see if I can get a better view. I also noticed that you inquired about a drop in composite servo box in another thread. To my knowledge, there is none. The second pic shows the servo hatch that I made from 1/8 aircraft ply. Hard maple verticals are epoxied to this plate and then a hole is drilled through the 1/8 ply into the vertical post so that a hardwood dowel can be inserted. Ply gussets are also added to the sides of the post. The hatch is screwed into hard points which are located in the servo bay. This makes it very easy to access the servo for service.

I concur on your selection of Spring Air retracts... definitely less plumbing, and I too like the failsafe function.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qo39430.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	146365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18789.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	146366  
Old 06-23-2004, 01:54 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice looking servo hatch !

Here i have a DUMB question, before I start to glue and to cut in the nice wing panels, I need a croscheck again. Can you confirm me that they are fully symetrical ? and that there is no left or right one ?
I know this may look stupid, but I prefer to hear that from somebody else
Old 06-23-2004, 06:13 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

those fins look enormous, not very elegant. I think I am going to give them a curved shape
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ge96727.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	146673  
Old 06-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Salmonbug.

I too had a hard look at the wing panel's to check for right & left... and they are indeed symmetrical. Choose the panel your are going to use for right & left and mark them as such too avoid confusion later.

You are right about the vertical fins... they are quite large. Some have reworked the fin to have a different look.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It look's like you are making rapid progress in the construction process. If you decided on the Springair gear, what series did you choose? Another problem I ran into on my wing panels was in trying too sand the leading edge stock. It was very hard to get it to blend with the wing profile at the root section. It was like the first two to three inches starting from the root and working toward the tip that I had problems with. It was like when the foam wing was cut, that it was cut with too much taper at the root leading edge. This may have been changed, so you may not encounter the same difficulty.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:47 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

It look's like you are making rapid progress in the construction process. If you decided on the Springair gear, what series did you choose? Another problem I ran into on my wing panels was in trying too sand the leading edge stock. It was very hard to get it to blend with the wing profile at the root section. It was like the first two to three inches starting from the root and working toward the tip that I had problems with. It was like when the foam wing was cut, that it was cut with too much taper at the root leading edge. This may have been changed, so you may not encounter the same difficulty.
Let's say I am making spectacular progress, the plane general shape is here, but a very few things are done. The most spectacular ones are done...... but there is still 90 procent of the job to do

I ordered my gear to mick reeves. That's the one he has on display on his site. I duno what manufacturer it is, but I guess if reeves sale them they are fine. They are the same principe than the spring air and takes 6mm wires.
I didn't looked te leading edge yet, I will take particular attentiion when the time will come (I guess I'lldo it today)

Did you consider to place the speedbrake on the belly ? and if yes why did you reject ? My plans are to make on similar to your placed under the tank at the position of the CG. I will drill holes in it to make turbulence generators and it should be very efficient
Old 06-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you consider to place the speedbrake on the belly ? and if yes why did you reject ? My plans are to make on similar to your placed under the tank at the position of the CG. I will drill holes in it to make turbulence generators and it should be very efficient
[/quote]

I never considered it. I felt that the top hatch lended it's self well too the speed brake. I see no reason for it not too work on the bottom as well. Keep in mind that your gear must function 100% all the time... else your speed brake on the bottom will become a tarmac brake. Grass runway may be less forgiving on it though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Db84755.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	146821  
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I considered the eventuality of a gear up landing for my poor speedbrake.......
I arrived at the conclusion that gearless landings are always performed with the turbine killed. So the use of the speedbrake to fight against the residual thrust is not necessary......
Old 06-24-2004, 02:07 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

let me show here the upgrade mick made to the kit for the fin separation issues.

he simply provide 8 big washers that are suposed to be used with the screws.....
ugly.......
I simply decided to carve the wood and integrate the washers in the fins and glue them with epoxy.

note the relooked fins.

Mick also provide a bracket to hold the fins to the last fuselage former.

I decided to go rudderless, I know that rudders are mandatory by ama regulations for jets, but here I am in europe and theres is no rules.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wu61480.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	146950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38430.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	146951  
Old 06-25-2004, 02:25 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they will be no building for the next 2 3 days. I go to la ferte-alais with the wren team. I will come back with a tons of pics........ the b52 (8 turbines) and all the european RC masterpieces.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:00 AM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SALMONBUG

they will be no building for the next 2 3 days. I go to la ferte-alais with the wren team. I will come back with a tons of pics........ the b52 (8 turbines) and all the european RC masterpieces.
Salmonbug,

I'm envious of you. La Ferte-Alais is on my wish list of shows too attend before I go meet my maker. Some of the aircraft that I have seen pics of that attend this show are absolutely incredible. I may make every effort possible to schedule my vacation around this show next year. Have a great time and bring back plenty of detailed pics to show.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:22 AM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree that the large washers in the verticals are very unsightly... but then again, there is not much about the Reaper that will win anything in a beauty contest.

If you have not epoxied the washers in yet... I would still suggest to center drill some hardwood dowels and epoxy them in behind the washers. The reason for this is that even with the large surface area of the washers, you will still crush the balsa as you tighten the bolts.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a bit too late..........
the entire aera is reinforced with thin ca (some pin holes with a woodpecker and a huge amount of CA) this look rtock solid. What I will maybe do is to glue a 1.5mm ply strip on the inside of the fin were it is in contact with the fuse........

I have to go now, see you monday with tons of pic. I have a flashcard for 100 pics But I plan to buy some trow away (one single use) camera in case of emergency
Old 06-27-2004, 05:28 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am back.............
Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SALMONBUG

I am back.............
Salmonbug,

Glad to see you made it home safely... now; where are the pic's???
Old 06-29-2004, 03:29 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have the pics yet and I had not the oportunity to take a lot of them. I have been busy all the time on the wren stand translating french-english and giving explanations.

the b52 flown on saturday and break his nose lmanding gear. The team worked till 2am to fix it and be able to fly it on sunday. on sunday it flown and broken his landing gear again.

the sunday flight is a bit particular because it's one of the rare flight he came back on the ground with the 8 turbines runing. the plane suffer big fuel feeding issues. and a all engine operating landing didn't hapened since the maiden.

I will post a link soon to a video of the sunday flight. As soon the cdrom is burned from wren and mailed to me somebody will host the documents
Old 06-29-2004, 03:41 AM
Countryboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Salmonbug,

Regardless of the problems they had with the B-52, I'm sure that it was still one spectular sight to behold. Looking forward to the posting of the video footage.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:02 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

back to the reaper

here is a dry fit of my nose gear setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zx72018.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	148510  
Old 06-29-2004, 01:06 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Salmonbug,

Regardless of the problems they had with the B-52, I'm sure that it was still one spectular sight to behold. Looking forward to the posting of the video footage.

Of course this plane is an incredible success. I tried to be obvious when I talked about the problems, but the project is awesome. 8 turbines runing together, a custom designed ECU able to start all of them together .
The fuel feedings problems are going to be solved soon and I hope gordon plan to reinforce the gear !!.
This airplane is not designed to land on grass
Old 06-30-2004, 03:24 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the nose gear unit is in place. the setup may look a bit overkilled, but remember this is my first jet and I wanted something strong.

the two hardwoob blocks you see on the pic (with the blind nuts was my original idea to fix a canard servo plate back of the canard, but because of the angle the canard make and that I want to have my pushrods perfectly at 90 degrees with the control rod, I will change the setup and put the servo in the front like on countryboy's bird

It's impossible due to the linkage setup of the canard to have the servo arms not interfering if I position the servo in the back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qn38173.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	148882  

Search this Thread