Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bruce Tharp Delta Vortex Suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bruce Tharp Delta Vortex Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bruce Tharp Delta Vortex Suggestions

Well I got a good deal on a Delta Vortex. Not much turned up with a search for retracts and other engine choices or any mods to the kit. So let's hear form all you DV fans. Post what works and doesn't. Engines, retracts, etc. I will start a construction thread when it gets underway. Pete
Old 11-17-2003, 10:52 AM
LarryC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bruce Tharp Delta Vortex Suggestions

Take a look at http://www.deltavortex.com You'll find a few ideas there.
I have the arf version, and have flown it with both a 61FX and a 91FS. Both fly it
fine but neither are unlimited in the vertical department. I think most guys use a 91 two
stroke. I did find somewhere on the net a description with photos of a kit being built with
retracts. That would be a nice addition.

Larry
Old 11-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Rocketman612

I did go to DV.com but not enough meat. Good pictures and ideas.
I also have been to the BTE site and all the related DV links. Pete
Old 11-17-2003, 11:13 AM
LarryC

Have you been here? http://www.btemodels.com/

Larry
Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Rocketman612

Wow, I expected a better response. This must mean one of the following.

1: The DV is so great nobody changes anything and the instructions and options are all there.

2: Not alot of people are building the DV

3: I've posted this in the wrong forum

Pete
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM
LarryC

Rocketman,

I think both #1 and #2 are correct, but mainly #2. The Delta Vortex isn't as fast as the smaller deltas, it's not a scale anything, and it sure doesn't do 3d, so that limits the number of people interested in it. It could be that it looks like it flies like the small deltas, at least that seems to be what people ask when I show up with mine.
My small advice is based on my plane. With the cg in about the middle of the suggested range, it flies well. Don't worry about dual rate on the elevator; you'll need all of the throw. For the aileron function, dual rates are nice or just a fairly low setting. The plane responds more to aileron inputs than elevator inputs. Be sure you don't hit the servo travel limits when you set the controls up. For example, assume you are holding full up elevator and then apply left aileron. The left servo will have to travel a bit more. You will have to work with it a bit, but you should be able to set the controls mechanically so that you will have enough elevator travel with only about 1/2 to 2/3 servo rotation. That leaves some extra for the ailerons.
Use decent servos. Mine has Futaba 9001 servos on the elevons. They are smooth and enough for normal flying, but not enough when you get trying to see what the plane will do. I managed to get one of mine to slip a tooth in flight. That was an interesting flight....! If I was doing it again I would go with 9002s or similar.

Good Luck

Larry
Old 11-18-2003, 04:03 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Bruce made a good kit that doesn't really need modification unless there is something specific you want to do with it.
About the only suggestions I can make is to mount the throttle and steering servos back in the receiver compartment. Thy will come out a little nose heavy, so move what you can back.
I fly mine with the center of gravity back to the maximum. This helps do the nose high landings.
I added a balsa cowl that makes the plane look a lot better. I am using a OS91FX with an Ultrathrust pipe. I had to make a manifold to tilt the pipe up about 7 degrees to clear the wing. I see the one Bruce flies with the same pipe set-up, had a hole cut in the sheeting to clear the Ultrathrust pipe.,
I built the first one to get use to the plane and how it flys. This winter I am building #2 for use with a DynaJet engine. I'll probably extend the nose about 6" making it more jet like, and add a jet like canopy. Should be a blast.

Greg
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Rocketman612

Larry,
Thanks for the input. I have an Outlaw and wanted a larger Delta with landing gear for more relaxing flying. Pete
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

My DV kit arrived in the mail yesterday. I bought a Saito 100 for it, but I'm beginning to worry if I made the right engine choice. What do you DV flyers out there think, is the Saito 100 going to work well with this plane or should I get something like an MVVS .91 and use the Saito elsewhere?

Wiz
Old 11-19-2003, 08:11 AM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

My DV kit arrived in the mail yesterday. I bought a Saito 100 for it, but I'm beginning to worry if I made the right engine choice. What do you DV flyers out there think, is the Saito 100 going to work well with this plane or should I get something like an MVVS .91 and use the Saito elsewhere?

Wiz
Wiz,
Mine is in the mail but from what I've read the issue for larger 4 strokes on the DV are prop clearance and weight. That's why most seem to go with a 91 2stroke. I too was wanting to hear from others about their engine choices if it was something other than the OS91FX.

Will you build it stock or are you trying retracts?

Post some build photos and drop an update from time to time. Thanks, Pete
Old 11-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Mike Wiz

Rocketman,

I was also worried about engine weight. Look at what my research turned up.

MVVS .91 19.3 oz wo/muffler
Saito 1.00 20.8 oz with muffler
O.S. .91FX 24.3 oz with muffler
Supertiger G.90 27 oz with muffler

I think my Saito is a pretty good choice from a weight stand point. I'm worried if it will be as fast as I'd like. I don't want a complete speed demon, but I would like it to move out. I was thinking I'd use something like an APC 14x10 on it.

I don't think I'll be using retracts.... I fly off a fairly rough grass field and I'd be worried about them holding up. That said, I haven't used retracts before......maybe I'll have to think about that a little more.

Say, I just bought my first digital camera, so I'll be sure to post some construction pics.

Cheers,

Wiz
Old 11-19-2003, 09:30 AM
LarryC

On mine with the OS 91 FS I'm using a Graupner 12-8 three blade prop. Seems to be enough load for the engine and gives me anough clearance flying off grass.

Larry
Old 11-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: LarryC

On mine with the OS 91 FS I'm using a Graupner 12-8 three blade prop. Seems to be enough load for the engine and gives me anough clearance flying off grass.

Larry
Larry,
I have an OS 91 SurpassII with pump that's a great engine on the shelf. What kind of RPM's are you turning and are you satisfied with speed and performance. The pump would be good if I'm putting the tank back to make room for a retractable nose gear. Pete
Old 11-19-2003, 02:27 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I run a 13X8 on my OS 91FX, and I would still break props occasionally. I put larger wheels on it to fix this problem. Unless you have a smooth runway and can grease every landing I wouldn't go to an engine that needs 14" or larger props.
I think the MVVS 91 would be a great engine for the DV. You have to remember that they will come out nose heavy. If I put the MVVS in mine instead of the OS 91FX i could have saved the 5 ounces of the engine plus the weight to counterbalance it.

Greg
Old 11-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Mike Wiz

I'm not opposed to bending up some longer legs for it......Maybe I'll do that!

Wiz
Old 11-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built one of these for my hobby dealers personal plane. He loves this thing! It's powered with an O.S. 61SF and flys extremely well. Any more engine would be overkill, IMO.

This is without any question the BEST kit I have EVER built by any manufacturer. Excellent wood quality. Perfect parts fit. Excellent parts cutting. Superb hardware package. Excellent plans, and a good construction manual. What's left not to like?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Mike Wiz

Silversurfer,

I started on mine last night (just the fins so far), but I agree...what a fantastic kit!

Wiz
Old 11-20-2003, 06:53 PM
SALMONBUG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bruce Tharp <span class=

I will start one soon (as soon I receive it from bruce)
here are some of my first consideration.

· the only engine I have for this plane is a OS120 S3 and I am not rich enough to buy an engine this winter
· Bruce the master strongly suggest to not install a 120 four stroke due to the chronical nose heavy condition and prop clearance consideration
· I ordered my delta vortex as winter project and before reading the FAQ, I was convicted that a 120 surpass would be ideal
· I hate lead, except the lead included in lead cells
· I want it with retracts
I want it with a balsa cowled engine and a engine side or upside down mounted for cosmetic reasons

here are some of my solutions to balance the plane without lead and a os 120 in the nose

· Use all the tricks mentioned in the FAQ
Q: Is there any way I can avoid adding tailweight?

A: Yes, a good number of builders report they've done this. First, they move two servos from the engine box (steering and throttle) way back in the wing. That allows the engine box to be shortened, moving the fuel tank, firewall, and engine back a couple of inches. This modification coupled with dual rudder servos and a large, heavy battery pack in the tail usually results in a perfectly balanced model.

· Use a 3 or 4 blade prop and set the plane in a little nose hig attitude on ground should solve the prop clearance troubles
· Install a 90 degrees rotating(corsair style ) main retract (have to see the plans, but I think it would be possible by seeing the pics I found on the net)
· Correct a potential lake of flare ability due to nose heavy condition in flight gear down by adding a central elevator between the two rudders and use it for approach and landing only . (could be activated by the gear down condition)
· Correct potential nose heavy condition by adding a onboard glow driver powered by a lead battery located in the tail (that’s not real lead)

sorry for the bad look of the text above but it's a copy-paste of a mail I sended to bruce
I wait an answer
Old 11-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Rocketman612

Salmonbug,
Interesting proposals. Please let us know Bruce's reply. As for retracts I remember reading somewhere that Spring air's were doable. I'd like to hear what people are using. If your 120 is mounted sideways you will not need a glow driver. Please post some pictures when you start. Pete
Old 11-20-2003, 08:22 PM
SALMONBUG

in fact the glow driver isn't mandatory if side mounted, but it's an elegant solution to add weight without stupidly add lead

about the central elevator, you must understand in my previous post that it will work with the elevons (mixed with the elevon elevator signal) and not alone of course.

Maybe I have not been perfectly clear because of my poor english

a central elevator mean also add a servo and this is also weight behind the cg
Old 11-20-2003, 08:45 PM
SALMONBUG

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

I think my Saito is a pretty good choice from a weight stand point. I'm worried if it will be as fast as I'd like. I don't want a complete speed demon, but I would like it to move out. I was thinking I'd use something like an APC 14x10 on it.

Wiz

The DV will never be a speed demon, too fat profile, but is unique for aerobatic and nice nose hig stabilised approach.
I think that the DV shoudn't fly well above 120 MPH maximuml
If you want a speed demon, try this.
This is my whiplash extreme (discontinued ultra light version of the whiplash X) with a jett 50 BSE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74330.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	76277  
Old 11-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Mike Wiz

In the beginning I ws thinking of retracts, but I've come to the conclusion that they are too much of a liability on my rough grass field.

Up untill this morning I was seriously considering making it with an inverted engine so I could cowl it in on top. I have a couple inverted mounted engines on some other planes and I've found them to be a bit of a hassle to deal with, so for simplicity of opperation I think I'll just build it per plan.

BTW, the construction on mine is going along pretty good (I'm a slow builder....keeps me from making mistakes ) Basically, you build up all the sub assemblies you're going to need prior to the main construction. All I have to do yet before main construction is make the wing skins. Tonight I'll take some pictures of what I have done so far and post them.

Wiz
Old 11-21-2003, 10:10 AM
SALMONBUG

you may want to consider a side mounted engine, you won't have the trouble of a inverted engine and this will improve the look in my opinion

I am also reconsidering my idea of a 120 four stroke, I am now hesitating between buy a 91FX or use a OS.91 four stroke that I have laying in the workshop.
the problem is that if A buy the os.91fx I can't afford the cost of the retracts....
Old 11-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Mike Wiz

My bad experiences with the O.S. FX 1.60 and FX .46 prevented me from even considering the FX .91. Other than the Saito 1.00 that I did buy, I seriously thought about buying the MVVS .91. In fact, I'm still considering getting that engine and using the Saito in something else.

I'll look closer at the side mount option you mentioned. That alone will get the muffler under the plane and that's a big advantage in my opinion.

Wiz
Old 11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
SALMONBUG

yes, it makes it look nicer, especialy because you are fully cowl the top of the engine bay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.