Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

New Carl Goldberg Kits

Old 06-18-2004, 12:13 PM
armi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New Carl Goldberg Kits

Anyone have any problems with the new Carl Goldberg kits? I just started the Super Chipmunk and have had several issues with the laser cut parts not fitting up well. For example, the laminated parts in the stabilizer and rudder were off by almost 1/8". I though that having a laser cut kit was supposed to eliminate some of those types of problems? When I reshaped all the parts to fit up, my rudder and stabilizer came up 1/4 to 3/8" short of the plans. In addition, besides having a very poorly copied manual that is hard to read, the dimensions in the manual do not match the plans. The plans for the wings are over 1/2" longer per side than they shoud be per the manual dimensions. This prevents all the ribs from lining up over the plans. I have built several kits over the years, but am in no way no expert. Is this a normal occurance? Sure some kits will not be perfect, but this seems eccesive.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:00 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Carl Goldberg Kits

Welcome to cost-cutting 101, a'la Lanier.

My Goldberg Ultimate 300 is a pre-Lanier production, made before CG sold out to Lanier. It came with a nicely-done, bound manual, printed on good stock, and excellent hardware.

A fellow I know here has a post-CG Ultimate. His "manual" is low-quality Xerox copy of the manual I have; stapled together at the top right corner.

The other hardware is not the same quality stuff mine had.

The tank and hardware in my Carl Goldberg/Lanier Matrix was also unusable.

Too bad; CG had some great kits.

I'm pretty much sold on Sig these days, myself. Great Planes designs are good, but the wood in the last three I built was miserable. The fuse sides in both the Sportster and Contender were HAIRY, and would NOT sand smooth.

OTOH, I'm building a Kougar that was kitted, according to the inspection slip, late last year. It has excellent wood.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:03 PM
armi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess that may be why I so disappointed, My last kit was a Somethin' Extra by Sig. What a great kit! I couldn't believe how easy and accurate it all went together. The thing that really bugs me is that all the posts I've read on the Super Chipmunk rave on how easily it goes together. Seems to me I would have been better of getting one of the older kits that were die crushed. At least the parts would have fit together. I'm surprised that there haven't been any others with experience on the new Goldberg Kits. I wonder if I didn't just get a bad run?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:52 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built that model ten or so years ago. The wood was nothing write home about, but the parts fit was good, and matched the plans...

Sounds to me like whoever re-engineered the drawings for the laser cutting made a goof.

If the errors aren't too bad, you might want to finish the model. The built-in wash out at the tips makes this airplane a big p-u-s-s-ycat (take THAT, Thought Police!) when you slow it down, yet you can get ignorant with it by using a four-stroke .91 and large throws on high rates. Simply put, it flies great.

Use aircraft ply TRIPLERS on the wing ribs that support the gear blocks. The gear is a weak area on this model. Also, it is a VERY good idea to fabricate new gear legs that are about an inch longer than stock, so you you can rake them forward a bit and get the wheel axles under the wing LE, while still maintaining prop clearance. This mod dramatically improves the ground handling; otherwise, the model will nose over very easily, especially in grass.

Take the time to do the wheel pants and gear leg covers; makes all the difference in the world in the model's appearance.