Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skyshark RC Fantasy

Old 06-21-2004, 04:38 PM
rjwintex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Skyshark RC Fantasy

I am new to the hobby and have only limited experience flying a Nexstar. I am currently building the Fantasy as my first kit and am looking for advice on whether to build it as a trike or taildragger. Since the airplane is still in the box, I was planning on installing two sets of gear blocks so that I could convert it to a taildragger later. I am leaning towards assembling it as a tri-gear, but was wondering if I could step up from a high wing trainer to a low wing taildragger in one step. Any comments/suggetions would be much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:20 PM
photoniq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Skyshark RC Fantasy

I have gone from a high wing tricycle trainer to a great planes super sportster 40 which is a low wing tail dragger. It was not a problem.

Personally I would go with the traildragger setup since most of the planes you will get in the future will be probably be taildraggers - and they look way cooler to me at least.

Of course all tail dragger low winger planes are not made equal. I would get advice from other people on this forum as to whether or not this is a suitable second plane. When I asked a similar question about the super sportster I was told that some planes SNAP (still not sure what that means) and that newbies should avoid such planes.

photoniq
Old 06-21-2004, 08:46 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would have to agree with Photonig about making it a tail dragger. WIth the kit you have to chose which one you want since Ribs 3 and 4 are used for the landing gear blocks.
You could modify them, I'm in the process of building this model too and have chosen to go the tail dragger route. It would be an alright second plane as it would be much like
a sig four star in flying I believe. I thinking about either putting a satio 100 on this airplane or getting the new Saito 82. Hard decsion I was thinking about using a magnum 91
four stroke but it seems a little heavy.
John
Old 06-21-2004, 10:18 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Fantasy is my second plane and it is a great plane to fly as a tail dragger. It isn't that difficult, but it is very fast. I do a lot of half throttle flying with it. Mine was built last year by my instructor before SkyShark took over the kit. Originally, the kit was put out by Major Hobby. I think the SS version is exactly the same kit from the looks...if you can stop staring at Angie holding the plane. (g)

It is very easy to take off, and much easier to land. It will make you look great when landing if you do it right.

First, make absolutely sure your gear has no toe-in or toe-out like mine did. It will wander all over the place on takeoff until you fix that. When the wheels roll true, you can ease up on the up elevator in a few feet, and it tracks straight. Most of my takeoffs require no rudder inputs. It is the best looking plane I've seen when taking off. There is something about it that looks very good.

Landings are going to be hot until you get used to that. The plane cuts thru air (and water...more on that later) efficiently. Normally, you should get used to going to idle on downwind as you turn base. When turning final, let the Fantasy drop to a nice, shallow approach angle and it will coast on it and lose speed in the last 1/2 of final. If you leave the plane alone and let it fly itself, it will come down straight and shallow. I normally give a slight flare a few inches off of the grass and it touches down gently with a good roll. I've gotten a lot of compliments on wonderful landings, and it is really just the plane doing the flying and not me. The low wing gets into a cushion of air and makes beautiful landings. It can bounce, but it won't stall at slow speeds. Warning- it will take off again when you swear that it shouldn't if you give it up elevator too soon. Be patient and let it slow way, way down before giving it any up for ground handling.

You are going to love this plane when you learn to deal with how fast it looks and that it doesn't lose speed quickly. One of the more experienced guys had a lot of trouble landing it because the idle was set too high. If you give it a click of throttle, it isn't going to slow down enough. BTW, it handles wind well and is very stable. I've flown some slow and tight traffic patterns with it about 50 feet high, and it does that great. It lands very well this way if you like to fly low and slow.

Mine had elevator flutter and we don't know why. Probably ny-rod controls that punished a servo, and then the clevis horn. Anyway, it fluttered again and went nose first into a pond. The fuselage was almost totally undamaged, but the wing is shot. We are planning on rebuilding it next week. The Fantasy will fly again, hopefully 2 weekends from now.

Once you get a good landing and understand how it works with the Fantasy, you will be hooked on landing it a lot.

Make it a tail dragger!!! You won't regret it.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Dsegal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What did you power your Fantasy with?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:36 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally, with a TT Pro .46, but it was having a lot of problems and I swapped engines. I have an OS .46 FX in it now.

I forgot to mention how well it flies. It is very stable and it will stay where you point it, even hands off for a long time. I trimmed mine and forgot about needing any corrections. It rolls nice and clean, loops fine, and does stall turns well if you keep up a little throttle. Inverted flight is very good. I did some good Cuban 8s with it.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:27 PM
rjwintex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice. I will go ahead and build it as a taildragger.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:20 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Being a taildragger is the best part of the plane, IMO. It is also a very solid hands-off flier too. I just bought a Evolution .46NT and hope to have it flying in a few days.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:18 PM
blw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Fantasy flew again today with the .46NT Evolution engine. It flew great with a new, scratch built wing. The engine has a whole lot of power. It was nice to see the Fantasy fly again.