Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Trainer trim scheme brainstorming. Show me yours?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Trainer trim scheme brainstorming. Show me yours?

Old 06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer trim scheme brainstorming. Show me yours?

In between the gluing and sanding, ive begun to plan the trim scheme for my GreatPlanes PT-40. Was wondering if anyone got some pics of their PT-40 (or any boxed-shape trainer) so I can get some ideas. Im a beginner in coting, so i cant do anything advanced.

Here are my suggestions so far:

And my favorite so far (red or blue..):

Do they seem hard to make? Ive only used simple lines and basic stuff like triangles that can be cut out easily, I hope. I only got an old ironer (for clothes, i dont have a modeller iron), hope it wont be too hard to make.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:20 PM
davidmor

Default RE: Trainer trim scheme brainstorming. Show me yours?

The biggest thing you need to keep in mind is to make the top and bottom look extremely different. I suggest a light color on top and dark on the bottom. I put wide stripes on the wing top, and big circles on the bottom of the wing. Since you are learning, it is much more important that you are able to tell the difference from top and bottom, than how good the plane looks. One other thing I did with mine was to put a bright flame orange strip on the leading edge of one wing. That makes it easy to see if it is coming towards you or away from you, and it also helps in the beginning with the direction reversal coordination you will need to learn. I know this is your 'baby' and you want it to look cool, but it is also a trainer. It is ment to learn on and it will get banged around. The simpler the pattern you use, the simpler it will be to patch when needed.

Good luck with what you decide, and you have joined a great hobby and a fantastic group of people!

P.S. One of the most used investments you will make is a covering iron. A clothes iron will work with low temp covering, but not with high temp stuff. A clothes iron is big, heavy, and bulky. A covering iron is much easier to work with. It is well worth the $20 you will spend to get a basic iron. I recommend spending a little more and getting a good one.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:47 PM
brsseb

Yeah, i am gonna at least add some big stickers on the bottom, or use another scheme on the underside of the wings. Perhaps using all blue/red for the underside of the wings for the two last schemes.

Stickers or so on the leading edge was a good idea. If nothing else, the black spinner might give me some clues too. Ill look around for some flame/lightning stickers in the shops.

Also, I might consider getting a proper iron, but it depents on the price my local hobbydealer have on those (and whats left on my budget after the radion and engine is brought). It its just $20-30 or so, I will get one for sure.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:43 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

You need contrast on both sides. Just different contrast. White and a darker color give good contrast. A lot of planes have a checker board scheme or stripes running nose to tail on the bottom and then on top something running the length of the wing or fanning out from the front of the wing to the outside rear of the wing. I didn't have proper contrast on my trainer I built and I ended up putting ugly trim strips on it. Flies much better than it looks!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:32 PM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

Based on the valuable suggestions regarding contrast, I modified your images as possible sugestions. Depending on the background sky color, sometimes yellow and read are easier to see.... other times blue and white.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77350.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	145472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83433.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	145473  
Old 06-20-2004, 07:22 PM
brsseb

Hey, nicely done. I was just thinking something like that.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:22 PM
phread59

I would go with the red and yellow. Blue can get lost in a blue sky. Only other suggestion isa dark blue stripe between the red and yellow for some contrast. Good luck.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-21-2004, 08:20 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I would use only one star, to help identify the left (or right) wing. Trust me. It'll look funny, but it does help.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:10 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is still my favorite...

Good color contrast, good top / bottom contrast, and you can see those red wingtip forever!

Name:	Ec89348.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	145868  
Old 06-21-2004, 03:41 PM
brsseb

Here are my top candidates so far:

Seems like an ok contrast level. And perhaps some small easy-to-spot strip running along the leading edge.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:10 PM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

minnflyer,

I like the contrast, the visibility, and you have done it with style!!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Tony. I have used variations of that color scheme many times, and I've never regretted it. It's always very visible
Old 06-22-2004, 11:25 AM
newbieT

Here's a pic of my wing on my PT-40. I plan to make blue 'sunburst' stripes on the top and chord-wise stripes on the bottom (all detailed in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/MonoKote%2C_problems_taken_care_of%3F/m_1882404/tm.htm]the other thread[/link] I told you about). The blue I used is the dark or royal blue, I can't remember the exact name. I bought Great Planes 36' black pinstripe roll, and will probably need another when it's all said and done. Good luck!

Name:	Jh17213.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	146236