Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GreatPlanes PT-40 construction diary. Any tips/comments welcome!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GreatPlanes PT-40 construction diary. Any tips/comments welcome!

Old 10-17-2004, 10:56 AM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GreatPlanes PT-40 construction diary. Any tips/comments welcome!

I have been looking in on this thread for a while. I have a few suggestions. Great build so far. You are doing very well. Don't use a marker for making building notes on your wood. The ink soaks into the wood. It makes it almost impossible to sand out the marks. You end up seeing them through the covering. Use a very soft pencil. Something like a B to 3B drafting pencil works. Blunt the tip and you will be fine. I don't like the metal push rods you used. You did a fine job on them BTW. I like the bushings you used. The problem is they tend to be temprature sensative. You may end up doing a lot of trimming. I use Sullivan Golden rods exclusivly. Be sure to support the outer tube every 3 to 6 inches or so with them and all will be well. Now for the last suggestion. It is hard to see from the pictures but I see some bubbling in your covering. Here is how to fix it. On the big bubbles use a pin to ***** the covering to let air out. Then go over them with the iron with the heat turned way up. Use an oven mitt and push the covering down after heating it with the iron. Small ones can be just ironed down. The trick is to shrink the covering a little and glue it down at the same time. It is harder to explain than do. You will see what I am talking about when you do it. It is easy. Monocote is especially noted for bubbling. It just takes a little patience and practice to do. BTW I do not see a dog's breakfast. I actually see a very nicely laid out scheme. It is a very good job. Aside from the bubbles it is actually a fantastic job. I agree with all you have done except the small boo-boo's. And none of them is a major problem. Just details. I once again would like to congratulate you on a very good job. And wish you well with the plane.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-17-2004, 12:54 PM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GreatPlanes PT-40 construction diary. Any tips/comments welcome!

Thankz for the warm comments. Really means alot [8D].

As far as air bubbles go, im not too picky about that atm. When the model is 100% done I`ll go over it adding final detail, fixing bumps and kill off the worst bubbles. I think ive really used too cheap covering..should have gone with the more thicker, expensive one that isnt that transparent. Ive really learned alot from this kit. Hopefully I get the hang of flying it so I can eventually get another kit (Having strange dreams at night involving bottles of CA, sandpaper and a Sig 4* Kit ....)