Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Something Extra Hardware

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Something Extra Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Extra Hardware

Now that I'm installing the control hardeware and electronics, now I realise why everybody throws them away, what a peice of junk[:'(], I don't like the setup with the nylon tube 2/56 rods at the ends. Can I just install 2/56 rod by itself for the full length or flex cable?, my concern with the flex cable is of course, the flexing at the ends. I'm kinda late in the game to do a whole new setup, the plane is built and covered. Any sudgestions?, from now on, I won't wast my time with kit supplied hardware.
Joe
Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Something Extra Hardware

I put my servos in the back of the fuse, just infront of the tail. With a little care they can be placed so they both sit flush with the fuse side. I did this after I had flown it several times. It can be done with minor "patching" of the covering.
If you don't want to go that route, I've seen a couple use wire inside the tube, I think it makes for a lot of extra drag on the servo, but it does work.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:12 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the rudder and elevator on mine, I just slipped 2-56 rods into the sleaves and threw away the nylon rods. On the throttle though, I kept the cable because the sleeve is too small to fit a 2-56 rod. I did put a support for the throttle cable sleeve at the front of the servo tray to stabilize it and keep it from moving sideways. (Hope this answers your question.)
Old 06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Joe Ortiz

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking on going with the 2/56 rod by itself, seem that it will be much sturdier and less chances of control rod failure.
Joe[8D]
Old 06-25-2004, 03:25 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

For what it's worth, the ARF version uses Nylon rods and is almost useless as installed per the instructions. BUT, if you reverse the rods in their sleeves so the long wire end is at the rear, they work just great. It's been brought to SIG's attention, but they must be happy with what they got because they haven't changed it.

quint
Old 06-25-2004, 03:43 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

If you put the 2-56 rods in sleeves you'll be fine. Floating by themselves inside the fuselage would likely leave them too flexible.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Joe Ortiz

I'm sold on the idea of a full length 2/56 rod.
Thanks
Joe[8D]
Old 06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

I'm about to start covering my Sig SE, should I seal the hinge gaps?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:00 PM
phread59

What I do to combat this is use 2/56 threaded rod (allthread). I thread a piece with my drill into the front and rear of the inner rod. I thread enough so that it will go all the way inside the plane. I hook the clevises up to the ends sticking out. Really stiffens them up.

BTW I understand what you are saying I throw the push rods out on SIG kits myself. I only use Sullivan Golden Rods. I do sometimes use the SIG ones for a throttle hook up. They flex nice around obsticles. Good luck with your project.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Joe Ortiz

WhooHoo, I went and bought some long rods and hooked them up, wow, what a diffrence, no binding what so ever, smooth control, thanks for all your help, going to maiden on the 4th of July.
Joe[8D]
Old 06-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

For whats it worth I threw away the stock rods included with the kit and installed Sullivan Gold-n-Rods. They are a very good product with very little temperature expansion/contraction.

See my planes here!
Old 06-26-2004, 06:51 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I was going to put full length 2/56 rod in mine, but it just wasn't as smooth as I wanted. I went with the metric size that is slightly smaller than 2/56.

The only concern here, is that you will need a metric clevis. Or, if you use the black hayes clevis's with the steel pin, they will work. They are very tight on 2/56, and work well with the metric rod and won't strip out.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:05 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

I used full length 2-56 rods in mine. To get them to slide smooth without any slop cut up a bunch of 1/4" lengths of inner nyrod and slide them over the 2-56, then glue in place every 6 inches or so. This is a technique that GP uses in a lot of kits, the pieces of nyrod form bushings to keep the solid rod centered in the outer tube.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Joe Ortiz

Thanks for all the advise, got it working smooth, wouldn't know how to do it without RCU, now I have to figure out how to set up the flaperons[:@], in another thread
Joe[8D]