Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Giles 202 (46) engine choice?

Old 06-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GP Giles 202 (46) engine choice?

Seeking input on the performance of a GP Giles 202 (46) with an OS 70 Surpass 4 stroke for the powerplant. Any advice on prop selection would also be greatly appreciated as this is my first specifically aerobatic plane.

Thanks![8D]
Old 06-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Azcat59

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GP Giles 202 (46) engine choice?

My guess is that your Giles would be adequate with the Surpass 70, although I am not a big four-stroke guy. I have that airplane, originally with a K&B Twist Head 61. It was "adequate", but not really crisp, and I switched to a Tower 75, which puts some sparkle back in it. I use a 12x8 APC prop, this gives pretty good vertical, with reasonably fast airspeed, which helps point rolls, etc. I don't do 3D stuff so don't need the big diameter, low pitch combo.

Clair
Old 06-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Primodus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will use the 70 since it's all I have atm. Gonna prop it with a 13x4 APC. I want a little 3d and aerobatics all in one so some tweaking may be needed to achieve this. Thanks for the insight Azcat59.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Primodus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried the OS 70 this weekend with lackluster results. First, swinging a 13x4 APC, then switching to a 13x6MA. The 13x4 made the plane very unstable at landing and lower speeds, as expected. The added pitch of the 13x6 helped make it more of a aerobat than a 3d'er. I have a 61FX in route for this bird as that is what the cowl was cut for when I bought it. I have the feeling this will make a great difference in the vertical performance as well as knife edge. The 70 held the plane in knife edge, but just barely. One thing I have to say about the Giles 202 is that is is a monster on high rates. I flew on low (50% ele and ail) most of the time with a few tests at altitude on the high rates (75% ele, 85% ail). I would hate to see what 100% does.[X(] I think it would fly apart! I will post an update with pics when I get the .61 installed and the cowl on. Until then it's just an ugly duckling