Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

almost time to fly (pics)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

almost time to fly (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
rs4driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default almost time to fly (pics)

well, the 1/6 scale cub is nearing completion, all i need to do now is heat it with the heat gun a little more, add gas and a glow plug, get some wheel collars, and it will be ready to go. i didnt wanna go the traditional way with yellow covering, i get sick of seeing yellow cubs, so it was covered with black and metallic red monokote.

pics..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34317.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	149296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22748.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	149297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41545.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	149298  
Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Skeletor

Default RE: almost time to fly (pics)

A sealing iron would be a much better way to go. While your at it, put a bit of washout in the wing. J.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
ksechler

Is that a GP .20 Cub? If so it doesn't need any washout. It will be fine as is. Remember to use rudder when you turn. This plane has a lot of adverse yaw (which is typical for a Cub). Also keep after it on takeoff. It'll groundloop if you give it the chance.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
bojangle

I think the red looks neat, and as I always say...it's your plane you can have any color you want. Cubs are a blast to fly. Anyone who says Cubs are boring just hasn't flown one.

Good job
Bob
Old 07-02-2004, 05:35 AM
rs4driver

well thanks guys,, this is the 1/6 scale SIG pipe j-3 cub,, im glad it cleaned up so nice, been building it for awhile and just now getting around to covering it, its 6:30 in the morning right now, gonna grab some breakfast and a shower, then im headin to the hobby shop and picking up what i need, Only 3 things! fuel, glow plug, and wheel collars, man im excited!!!, i havent flown in awhile,, so we'll see how its maiden voyage go's, wish me luck fellas!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: rs4driver

well thanks guys,, this is the 1/6 scale SIG pipe j-3 cub,, im glad it cleaned up so nice, been building it for awhile and just now getting around to covering it, its 6:30 in the morning right now, gonna grab some breakfast and a shower, then im headin to the hobby shop and picking up what i need, Only 3 things! fuel, glow plug, and wheel collars, man im excited!!!, i havent flown in awhile,, so we'll see how its maiden voyage go's, wish me luck fellas!
Hey rs4driver,
Since you say you haven't flown in a while, check out this thread; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1723348

It has some excellent info on the cub.

dano13
Old 07-03-2004, 02:10 PM
rs4driver

what a sad day today was, i got the engine running nicely, got a nice big cut on my arm from tuning (whoever thought of the idea of having the tuning needle less then half an inch from the prop is an idiot),, well, it didnt end there, had a nice clean pavement runway, got it going at a nice speed, gave a bit of rudder, lifted the tail off the ground, kept the speed up, got the nose in the air, and then it just shot up (not for long) for some reason the plane was pulling HARD to the left, i gave it a bit of rudder to try and save it, but there was no saving to it, it pulled left and straight into the field nose and left wing first, luckily i got out with only a broken prop, a little bit of bend in the left landing gear, and a broken wing mount,, all easy fixes., guess i'll repair it tonight and measure everything and make sure everything is in line,, then have another wack at it tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:12 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Guy at my club has a cub. They seem tricky. He's beat it up a few times also.