Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*120 Question

Old 07-02-2004, 04:07 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 4*120 Question

I need help!! Last year I picked up a 4*120 w/o engine and electronics, and I'll have it ready to test fly tomorrow. A buddy in my RC club built a 4*60 and said these kits have an "aileron position gauge" with them to set the neutral position for the ailerons. So he lent me his, figuring it should wook for my 120. But I'm not so sure. Any opinions? Also, the ailerons on his 4*60 extend to the end of the wings, whereas on my 120, they stop short and there is a 2 inch wingtip on the wing panel itself. Can I just align the ailerons with the contoured wingtips to get a reasonable neutral position? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:22 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 4*120 Question

I don't know the specifics of the 4*120, but if it were my plane, I'd set for even with the wingtip TE and fly it. If you're set a little low, it will be like flying around with your flaps slightly down, which is no cause for alarm. If you're set a little high, it will be like flying around with spoilers partly deployed, again no great emergency. In either case, you will compensate with elevator trim.

Optimum setting would be for minimum trim on the elevators. After it's trimmed for hands off straight & level (at about two-thirds throttle), bring it down and eyeball where the elevators are trimmed to. If they're trimmed up, then you might readjust your ailerons to bring them both down a few turns of the clevises. Or vice versa. Then fly again and reset your elevator trim. None of this is any reason not to put your plane in the air.